[comp.text.desktop] text-to-graphics convernsion

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (07/02/89)

It seems that I need a utility that will scan an on-screen TEXT file (std
MS DOS environment) and create a GRAPHIC image of the onscreen text.

What I need to do is generate graphic images of screen appearance for
inclusion in a manual, typeset in Ventura.  Of several utilities availble
for screen capture (Pub Paintbrush, Dan Bricklin's Demo, Storyboard, and
others include screen capture tools), they ALL seem to EITHER (a) capture
GRAPHICS images [but I've got TEXT images], OR (b) capture TEXT images in
TEXT format [which is NOT what I need], but NONE seem to allow the capture
of a TEXT screen to be stored in a graphics file format.

I require a graphics image because Ventura will then allow me to scale it
to fit the frame which is allocated for it.  The screen in TEXT format is
THEORETICALLY usable, but would involve LOTS of tedious tagging etc of EACH
of many screen captures to get everything to line up correctly.

I don't IMAGINE that such a thing would be all that hard to do, but I'm not
an programmer.  It would seem to me that a utility would simply have to scan
the screen pixel by pixel and save what it finds in some std graphics
format.  Is it more complex than this?

Regardless of the complexity, does anybody know of a program that will
do what i need?

THANKS

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (07/02/89)

In article <913@hydra.gatech.EDU> russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) writes:
| It seems that I need a utility that will scan an on-screen TEXT file (std
| MS DOS environment) and create a GRAPHIC image of the onscreen text.

An extremely easy solution exists.  Simply write a few programs that
toss the video card into graphics mode, then write text to the screen
(in graphics mode).  Now you can come along with your handy-dandy screen
grabber and -- poof! -- your problem is solved.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

trgauchat@rose.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (07/03/89)

In article <913@hydra.gatech.EDU> russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) writes:
}It seems that I need a utility that will scan an on-screen TEXT file (std
}MS DOS environment) and create a GRAPHIC image of the onscreen text.
}

I use a program (non-PD) called HotShot.

It captures all sorts of screens (only up to EGA so far), including text,
and will convert to various graphic formats (TIFF, GEM, PostScript EPS, etc.),
including its own internal format for editing.

Text screens can be modified (highlight, etc.) and then convert to graphics,
in any proportion you want.

...Terry

CSJR@acad.cut.oz (Steve Rollinson) (07/07/89)

In article <913@hydra.gatech.EDU>, russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) writes:
> It seems that I need a utility that will scan an on-screen TEXT file (std
> MS DOS environment) and create a GRAPHIC image of the onscreen text.
>
> What I need to do is generate graphic images of screen appearance for
> inclusion in a manual, typeset in Ventura.  Of several utilities availble
> for screen capture (Pub Paintbrush, Dan Bricklin's Demo, Storyboard, and
> others include screen capture tools), they ALL seem to EITHER (a) capture
> GRAPHICS images [but I've got TEXT images], OR (b) capture TEXT images in
> TEXT format [which is NOT what I need], but NONE seem to allow the capture
> of a TEXT screen to be stored in a graphics file format.
>
> I require a graphics image because Ventura will then allow me to scale it
> to fit the frame which is allocated for it.  The screen in TEXT format is
> THEORETICALLY usable, but would involve LOTS of tedious tagging etc of EACH
> of many screen captures to get everything to line up correctly.
>
> I don't IMAGINE that such a thing would be all that hard to do, but I'm not
> an programmer.  It would seem to me that a utility would simply have to scan
> the screen pixel by pixel and save what it finds in some std graphics
> format.  Is it more complex than this?
>
> Regardless of the complexity, does anybody know of a program that will
> do what i need?

Trouble is that if the text is put on the screen in text mode then all you
can get is the ascii character. What you want is to take the captured text
screen and access the character generator. I did write a program which
found the BIOS character generator and mapped ascii to it for graphical
representation. Ya Wannit?

  _     __                          |  _ _  | Steven Rollinson
 ( `   /  )      / /                |  @ @  | Curtin University of Technology
  \   /--<  _   / / . __ _  _   __  |    >  | Computing Centre