[comp.text.desktop] Wanted: Bitstream info.

mdharding@trillium.waterloo.edu (Matthew D. Harding) (07/21/89)

I am looking for information on Bitstream.  I am considering using it
with Wordperfect 5.0 on an AT, but have no idea what it is like.

Can someone give me some idea of what is capable of doing, as I don't
know what it does. I was told by another WP5.0 user that it has soft
fonts which it can down load to my HP Laser Jet II via WP5.0 and that
it has some ability to build new fonts.

Is this true, and does anyone have any experience with it?

And/Or does anyone have Bitstreams net address (or Snail-Mail)?

And/Or does anyone know any alternate tools etc.?

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (07/22/89)

>mdharding@trillium.waterloo.edu (Matthew D. Harding) writes:
>I am looking for information on Bitstream.  I am considering using it
>with Wordperfect 5.0 on an AT, but have no idea what it is like.
>
>Can someone give me some idea of what is capable of doing, as I don't
>know what it does. I was told by another WP5.0 user that it has soft
>fonts which it can down load to my HP Laser Jet II via WP5.0 and that
>it has some ability to build new fonts.

Bitstream is not an It, it is a Them. Bitstream is a company which
creates software fonts (soft fonts) which allow programs like Pagemaker,
WordPerfect, MSWord, Excel, etc., to use fancy typefaces and a wide
range of sizes of type on various printers, including your HP Laserjet II.

They can be reached at 800-522-3668. Also, more info on Bitstream fonts
can be had from HP's Laserjet Hotline in Boise, Idaho at (208) 323-2551.

If you have the basic LJII, you want to ask about HP PCL (printer control
language) fonts. If you have installed the Jetscript upgrade, you
can, in addition, use Postscript fonts.

|Howard Stateman, Hewlett-Packard Response Center, Mountain View, CA |
|howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM      or     hplabs!hpwrce!howeird             |
|       This disclaimer intentionally left blank                     |
|"The real problem is noth whether machines think, but whether men do."
|--B.F. Skinner
|Sysop of the Anatomically Correct BBS (415) 364-3739                |