[comp.text.desktop] WordPerfect vs. Ventura

bob@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Bob Armao) (08/22/89)

I'm interested in first-hand reports of your experience using
WordPerfect 5.0 to produce LONG documents (i.e., technical manuals
exceeding 400+ pages in length).  In particular, how well does 5.0
WP handle tables of contents, indexes, pagination, etc. in documents
of this length?  And how fast?

Our experience with WP 4.2 under UNIX has been less than ideal.
These shortcomings (such as the inability to produce a complete
index from a concordance file) may or may not occur in WP 5.0.
Since we aren't confident in the functionality and speed of
WordPerfect5.0, we are considering using Ventura for managing
long documents.  I'd be interested hearing comparable experiences
from Ventura users too, and especially from someone who has used
both of these products to produce long manuals.

I'm cross-posting this in comp.text since I'm getting virtually no
traffic through comp.text.desktop.  Thanks for your opinions and
suggestions.
--
Bob Armao  (bob@brspyr1.BRS.Com)   |   If u cn rd ths sgntr,
UUCP: uunet!crdgw1!brspyr1!bob     |   u cn mk Bg $$ induh xitng

casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) (08/23/89)

It seems to me you're talking about two different things here.  You
apparently need the power of a word processing program to create your
table of contents and indexes, and you need to be able to produce a long
document in dtp.

Having done quite a lot of dtp with WordPerfect, I would make the following
recommendation:  Don't even *try* to compose the manual as one document,
but use WP 5.0's "Master Document" feature instead.  Do the whole job as
straight text files to your default printer.  Do not attempt any dtp
formatting until the text is complete and completely edited.  This is as
a safeguard to preserve the integrity of the text document and with no
fancy formatting these files are *less likely* to become corrupt.

Even if you do use Ventura, you'll have to produce your tables of contents
and indexes with *something*.  Once your WP document is finished and
edited, you can then make a decision as to dtp with WP or Ventura.  However,
do not attempt to dtp format your original WP text files--make *copies* and
proceed from there.

Whether you'll want to use WP 5.0 or Ventura at that point depends on how
complex the dtp formatting will be.  If it's complex and includes lots of
graphics and/or charts, I would recommend Ventura.

If you use the "Master Document" setup, speed will not be a problem (and
"speed" is relative to the system you're using anyhow).  I find processing
WP dtp files on my XT to be unacceptably slow (but I do it anyhow).

Remember that your (potential) biggest problem with WP files is the
possibility of corruption.  You can minimize this by using the latest
version of WP 5.0 (6/12/89) and by staying in straight text mode until
you're ready to apply more fancy formatting with styles and other dtp
elements.  At that point, remember to *copy* the text files and not use
the originals.

And using text files (set up in the default of Courier 10) are easier to
read and edit.

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (08/25/89)

> Bob Armao writes:
>
> I'm interested in first-hand reports of your experience using
> WordPerfect 5.0 to produce LONG documents (i.e., technical manuals
> exceeding 400+ pages in length).  In particular, how well does 5.0
> WP handle tables of contents, indexes, pagination, etc. in documents
> of this length?  And how fast?
>
> Our experience with WP 4.2 under UNIX has been less than ideal.
> These shortcomings (such as the inability to produce a complete
> index from a concordance file) may or may not occur in WP 5.0.
> Since we aren't confident in the functionality and speed of
> WordPerfect5.0, we are considering using Ventura for managing
> long documents.  I'd be interested hearing comparable experiences
> from Ventura users too, and especially from someone who has used
> both of these products to produce long manuals.

Consider carefully what you want to do. WordPerfect 5.0 and Ventura
both do very well at long documents, TOCs and indices. However,
WordPerfect is text oriented with graphic support while Ventura is
page oriented with text support. WordPerfect has things like:

	*	find and replace
	*	spell check
	*	auto-number paragraph

that are not in Ventura. In addition, when you "anchor" a figure in
Ventura, it moves to the SAME POSITION on the page contining the
text, e.g., if you put a figure in the upper left corner of the
page, add some text ahead of the figure, and then update, the figure
will be in the upper left corner of the new page. In WordPerfect,
the figure can be anchored relative to the paragraph rather than the
page so that it will occur immediately before (or after) the
paragraph as the paragraph moves from page to page.

Ventura is ideal for newsletters, catalogs, magazines, and other
items that are PAGE oriented.

WordPerfect is terrible for items that are PAGE oriented, but
excellent for items (like technical documentation) that are TEXT
oriented.

In Ventura, use multichapters for long documents. In WordPerfect use
master document (doccument assembly) for long documents.

Good luck.

Jim Winer -- Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.

Upuaut:	a wolf-headed Egyptian deity | Voodoo: the art of sticking ideas
	assigned as Guidance System  |         into people and watching
	for the Barque of Ra.        |         them bleed.

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily

BL.JPL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jonathan Lavigne) (08/25/89)

In article <1583@lzfme.att.com>,
jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) writes:
>In addition, when you "anchor" a figure in
>Ventura, it moves to the SAME POSITION on the page contining the
>text, e.g., if you put a figure in the upper left corner of the
>page, add some text ahead of the figure, and then update, the figure
>will be in the upper left corner of the new page. In WordPerfect,

Not true according to the reference manual for Ventura 2.0 which
says (p. 5-50) that you can choose whether an anchored frame
appears in a fixed position on the page OR directly above or below
the text to which it's anchored.

Jonathan Lavigne                 BL.JPL@RLG.STANFORD.EDU
Research Libraries Group
Stanford University

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (08/26/89)

From article <1583@lzfme.att.com>, by jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ):
>> Bob Armao writes:
>                                  WordPerfect has things like:
>
> 	*	find and replace
> 	*	spell check
> 	*	auto-number paragraph
>
> that are not in Ventura.

True.  I use a seperate spell checker on the text, Ventura will produce an
ASCII file that'll go through a spell checker without to much trouble.  I
tend to use WordStar in non-document mode, but any spell checker would do
the trick.

> In addition, when you "anchor" a figure in
> Ventura, it moves to the SAME POSITION on the page contining the
> text.

Not so.  In Ventura you can place a frame on a page or anchor it to text.
If anchored to text I think you can specify that the frame appears as close
to the anchor as possible or at the paragraph break.  This feature is very
well done and allows you to do almost anything you want.

> Ventura is ideal for newsletters, catalogs, magazines, and other
> items that are PAGE oriented.

Nope.  I use it for chapter oriented things.  Its great for long documents
where consistant styling is needed.  It's also great for all those who want to
do all the great things that a PostScript printer can do without learning
PostScript.

I've never used WordPerfect and I'm only 3/4's of the way through
"Ventura - The Complete Reference" which is a real eye opener for
a troff fanatic!  I haven't touched troff since I started reading it.
It's also a good example of how a camera ready Ventura document can look.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

cetron@wasatch.utah.edu (Edward J Cetron) (09/02/89)

	On a related topic:  I have a subcontractor who has just informed
me that all of their technical documentation will be late, the cause:

	All of their techwriters use Wordperfect, but their corporate office
requires that all docs coming out the of the corp to be in Ventura.  So now
I have a 4-10 week delay (so they say) to have all of the documents ported
from WP to Ventura after they are written/proofed etc....

	My question:  Can the conversion between WP and Ventura be automated
by some sort of script or using some intermediate format?

Thanks
ed

cetron@wasatch.utah.edu  AND  cetron@cc.utah.edu  (please respond to both
			if you mail - .utah.edu is reconfiguring....)

jwi@lzfme.att.com (J.WINER) (09/05/89)

Edward J Cetron writes:

> 	On a related topic:  I have a subcontractor who has just informed
> me that all of their technical documentation will be late, the cause:
>
> 	All of their techwriters use Wordperfect, but their corporate office
> requires that all docs coming out the of the corp to be in Ventura.  So now
> I have a 4-10 week delay (so they say) to have all of the documents ported
> from WP to Ventura after they are written/proofed etc....
>
> 	My question:  Can the conversion between WP and Ventura be automated
> by some sort of script or using some intermediate format?

Begin by calling WordPerfect Copr in Orem, UT to get the
specifications for WP5.0 files ($20).

Then write a fairly simple program in awk (polyawk for the pc) to
convert WP style-on codes to Ventura format codes. You can also
change most other WP codes to corresponding Ventura codes. The
Ventura codes are listed in the Ventura documentation. It should
take an experienced awk programmer about one to two days to write
this program. The smae program written in C will take three days to
two weeks. (awk is better at string handling.)

There may be some additional hand work required. There are also some
constructs in WP that cannot be translated to Ventura in any
straightforward way.

In particular, WP has some facilities for drawing multiple
(different length) horizontal lines that Ventura cannot duplicate
without creating dummy frames or using graphics mode. If these have
been incorporated into headings with different formats on chapter
title pages, you will have lots of fun.

(Obviously, I am dealing with the same problems, but my time scale
will not solve these problems in time to help you. If you do get a
solution, please let me know.)

If I can be of additional help, please call me at 201-957-6068 (Bell
Labs) or 201-899-0804 (home). In general, e-mail will reach me, but
I can't get back to you.

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (09/06/89)

cetron@wasatch.utah.edu (Edward J Cetron) writes:

	>On a related topic:  I have a subcontractor who has just informed
>me that all of their technical documentation will be late, the cause:
>
	>All of their techwriters use Wordperfect, but their corporate office
>requires that all docs coming out the of the corp to be in Ventura.  So now
>I have a 4-10 week delay (so they say) to have all of the documents ported
>from WP to Ventura after they are written/proofed etc....

Your subcontractor's problem is one of bureaucracy, not one of technical
capabilities. Once the WordPerfect document is proofed, it can be brought
into Ventura in a matter of seconds. His delay is caused, most likely,
by having to find someone with Ventura, trying to get that person to
allow him to put the file into Ventura, and maybe getting the diskettes
to do this.

Tell your subcontractor to spend the $$ for a copy of Ventura, put it
on one of his techwriters' PC's, and assign that techwriter to be
the import guru for the department. It is well worth the investment,
and also will give him "local control" of the final product.

. Howard Stateman       | I knew French was a language by age 6.     .
. howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM | At 19 I discovered it was also a tongue.   .
. [Not an HP spokesman] |  Anatomically Correct BBS (415) 364-3739   .