[comp.text.desktop] Proof that TeX is better

eykhout@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Victor Eijkhout) (09/12/89)

Here's is the proof that TeX is better, or at least as powerful,
as any other typesetting system/ text processor/ whatever term
is your favourite.

It is a (none too exciting) exercise to write a Turing machine
in TeX. Thus TeX can emulate any computable algorithm, in particular
those of dtp systems. The only thing you need are the os-bindings
for screen and such. QED.

Will someone kindly show me that a dtp system is that powerful?

Victor.

chuck@melmac.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (09/13/89)

In article <428@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl> eykhout@wn3.UUCP (Victor Eijkhout) writes:
>It is a (none too exciting) exercise to write a Turing machine
>in TeX. Thus TeX can emulate any computable algorithm, in particular
>those of dtp systems. The only thing you need are the os-bindings
>for screen and such. QED.

     I can also do it on my TI-58 programmable calculator.  Thus, I retract
all my previous comments, and suggest that everyone buy TI-58's for their
text processing needs.  Those needing extra speed might consider the TI-59.

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912			AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902			FAX   : (407) 727-{5118,5227,4004}

Gee, Beaver, everything that's fun can get you in trouble.  Haven't you
learned that yet? --Gilbert