[comp.text.desktop] Ventura Footnoting Weirdness

russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) (09/17/89)

I use Ventura 2.0, love it, have been able to solve every problem I've
encountered with min difficulty, EXCEPT.....

when using it to handle footnotes, the space auto-allocated to the
footnotes at page bottom is occasionally inappropriately large with no
apparent way to correct.  The only hint given in the doc pertains to
the possibility that one has large "above" and "below" spacing set for
Body Text (not my case at all).

what's the deal?  why does Ventura mess up footnote space allocation?
how to correct it? (I don;t mind cleaning up after V's mistakes IF I
know HOW to do so!  I don't!)

thanks in advance,

--
Russell Shackelford
School of Information and Computer Science

BL.JPL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jonathan Lavigne) (09/19/89)

In article <1883@hydra.gatech.EDU>,
russ@prism.gatech.EDU (Russell Shackelford) writes:
>I use Ventura 2.0, love it, have been able to solve every problem I've
>encountered with min difficulty, EXCEPT.....
>
>when using it to handle footnotes, the space auto-allocated to the
>footnotes at page bottom is occasionally inappropriately large with no
>apparent way to correct.  The only hint given in the doc pertains to
>the possibility that one has large "above" and "below" spacing set for
>Body Text (not my case at all).
>
>what's the deal?  why does Ventura mess up footnote space allocation?
>how to correct it? (I don;t mind cleaning up after V's mistakes IF I
>know HOW to do so!  I don't!)

Are the footnotes long? I'm working on a book that has many, many
footnotes, some of them longer than the paragraphs they reference.
After about ten minutes of trying to get the auto footnote
feature to work, I gave up and made separate frames for the notes.
That solution may be a bit more work, but it allows a lot of
flexibility in the placement of the notes--something that's really
needed for this particular book, which sometimes has as many notes
in a paragraph as sentences. I don't think any software could figure
out how to place some of these notes automatically on the page. I
need to do things like tighten or loosen the tracking on single
paragraphs to get some of them in manually.

Jonathan Lavigne                 BL.JPL@RLG.STANFORD.EDU
Research Libraries Group
Stanford University