[comp.text.desktop] Recommendations wanted re: TeX for the Mac

JEFF@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Jeffrey Perry) (09/19/89)

    I am interested in users' experiences, good or bad, with TeX packages
for the Mac.  I just read the review of TeXtures 1.0 in MacWorld (2/88), which
mentions that at that time there was one other TeX package available , MacTeX.
Have any others surfaced since then?  How do they compare?  Which product would
be the most versatile for the production of technical documentation?
Please e-mail me directly, rather than posting your reply.

hallett@positron.uucp (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (09/20/89)

In article <9698@pucc.Princeton.EDU> JEFF@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:

>    I am interested in users' experiences, good or bad, with TeX packages
>for the Mac.  I just read the review of TeXtures 1.0 in MacWorld (2/88), which
>mentions that at that time there was one other TeX package available , MacTeX.
>Have any others surfaced since then?  How do they compare?  Which product would
>be the most versatile for the production of technical documentation?
>Please e-mail me directly, rather than posting your reply.

Well, last I knew, FTL Systems, producers of MacTeX, had their phone
disconnected.  This is a pretty good sign that they are no more.  If
this is wrong, I'd really like to know about it since we bought MacTeX
where I previously worked and it had some major problems with newer
systems.

TeXtures seems like a very stable product and Blue Sky Research, the
current publishers, are very good to deal with.  I'm impressed with
TeXtures.  I'll warn you though, using fonts other than the CMR is
kinda tough.  It requires doing some font redefinitions and TeXtures
won't automatically download any downloadeable font that is used.

--
                Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
                    GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414