[comp.text.desktop] LaTeX for PC/XT/AT with Epson LX-800 device driver

I understand LaTeX is available by anonymous FTP from many sources.  I
would like to find a version that I can run on my PC.  If possible, I
would also like device drivers for Epson dot-matrix printers and other
common printers.  (If all I can have is output to files that I can
transfer up to the big unix machine with postscript printers, I'll take
it.)

I have Microsoft C v5.1 and Microsoft MASM v5.0.  Are there any versions
out there that I can compile and run on my machine?  Any advice would be
much appreciated.

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: hendrick@frith.egr.msu.edu   UUCP: ...!uunet!frith!hendrick

msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) (10/10/89)

In article <4901@cps3xx.UUCP> hendrick@frith.UUCP (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>I understand LaTeX is available by anonymous FTP from many sources.  I
>would like to find a version that I can run on my PC.  If possible, I
>would also like device drivers for Epson dot-matrix printers and other
>common printers.  (If all I can have is output to files that I can
>transfer up to the big unix machine with postscript printers, I'll take
>it.)

From Simtel, you can get DOSTeX. This includes LaTeX, an Epson
device driver, and much more. (The Epson driver does not work
correctly at my computer.)

There is also an excellent previewer for EGA / MCGA / VGA (DVIVGA).

You need the files
    DOSTEX?.ARC     (? = 1..6)
for DOSTeX, and
    DVIVGA?.ARC     (? = 1..9)
for DVIVGA, in the directory PD:<MSDOS.TEX>

When you need really great output, you'd better use postscript.

Michael

ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Richard Ferris) (10/11/89)

In article <3650@draak.cs.vu.nl> msschaa@cs.vu.nl (Schaap MS) writes:
>In article <4901@cps3xx.UUCP> hendrick@frith.UUCP (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>>I understand LaTeX is available by anonymous FTP from many sources.  I
>>would like to find a version that I can run on my PC.  If possible, I
>>

>From Simtel, you can get DOSTeX. This includes LaTeX, an Epson
>device driver, and much more. (The Epson driver does not work
>correctly at my computer.)

I have found that SB26TEX, which is also available there, is much faster
at compiling than is DosTeX.  It does not come with a previewer but you
can use whatever one you want.  Note that SBTEX comes with its own
TFM files but does not have LATEX, LPLAIN or LFONTS files which must
be obtained in order to create the LPLAIN.FMT file.

RF

Richard T. Ferris
ferris@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
University of Pennsylvania