[comp.text.desktop] Ventura Publisher Professional Extension

leunglee@cs.buffalo.edu (Leung Lee) (10/07/89)

Howdy;

Did anyone ever worked with the Ventura Publisher's Professional
Extension?  If so, would anyone give an assessment of the equation
typesetting capability in this Professional Extension.  Is it as easy
and as flexible as equation typesetting in LATEX????

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------cut here-----------------------------------------

Dept. of Computer Science||internet:  leunglee@cs.buffalo.EDU
SUNY Buffalo		 ||bitnet:    V078L4ZS@ubvms.BITNET
659 Minnesota Ave        ||bitnet:    leunglee@sunybcs.BITNET
Buffalo, NY 14260	 ||uucp: {decvax,watmath,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugleung
(716) 837-7356           ||fax:  (716) 636-3464
*:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)  *:-)

greg@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Greg O'Rear) (10/09/89)

In article <11476@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> leunglee@cs.buffalo.edu (Leung Lee) writes:
>Howdy;
>
>Did anyone ever worked with the Ventura Publisher's Professional
>Extension?  If so, would anyone give an assessment of the equation
>typesetting capability in this Professional Extension.  Is it as easy
>and as flexible as equation typesetting in LATEX????

I am unfamiliar with LaTeX, but the equation package in Ventura is the same
as UNIX's eqn (i.e., x sup 2 ~+~ 3 over y ~=~ DELTA).  It can be a bit of
work to get everything to line up on some of the more complicated expressions,
but it certainly is flexible (at the cost of ease of use).
--

Greg O'Rear
Industrial and Systems Engineering Department, University of Florida

davek@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Dave Kumpf) (10/12/89)

I've used the equation handler on a limited basis; I've not used LaTeX.
I think the Ventura PE equation handler is very easy to use.  It's all
WYSIWYG; you specify an insert point in text and ask for an equation.
You're then taken into a sort of "equation editing tablet" where you
type in requests for specific symbols or constructs, and they are
assembled on the screen.

One caveat:
I'd recommend using a PostScript printer.  The reason: PE will try to
size things like root symbols, etc to fit normal expectations of what the
equation should look like (so far so good).  However: your printer may not
have a matching font in the correct size -- so substitution (with awful
results) will occur (on the HP LaserJet, and on Interpress printers if IPFNTS.JSL
is set up correctly).  The PostScript printer will, however, be asked for
a specific point size and will size and fill symbols as necessary to match.
(Please, Xerox, give us Interpress Professional Graphics Set printers ...)

Dave Kumpf
hplabs!hp-lsd!davek
davek%hp-lsd@hplabs.hp.com