[comp.text.desktop] Need Help Choosing Low End Laser Printer

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (11/28/89)

Anyone have any opinions (8-)) or warnings, etc., about the following
laser printers?  I plan to use them with a Packard Bell 286 with some
(as yet undecided) desk-top-publishing software [basically to publish
a "newsletter with graphics"].

The Choices:

  HP LaserJet IIP       $999  (HP LaserJett II mode, 512K memory, 15 internal
                              fonts (?), 4PPG, 300dpi, etc.)

  Packard Bell PB 9500: $1195 (HP LaserJet II mode, 1.5MB memory, 2 font
                              slots, 6PPG, 6internal fonts, 300dpi)

  Epson EPL-6000:       $995  (HP LJ II+ mode, 512K memory, 2 font slots,
                              6PPG, 6internal fonts, 300dpi)

  PS: The PB 9500 seems like the "Best Buy" due to the added standard
      memory.  I'm not sure what the Epson's HP LJ II+ compatibility
      gets you about HP LJ II mode.  On the other hand, buying the HP IIP
      is the "safe" bet, since you know everbody and their mother are going
      to support it.

  NOTE: The Pacific Data "25-In-One" and "Postscript" carts is (in their
        mode recent ad, "HP LaserJet IIP" compatible.  The memory listed
        above is standard, all can expand to 4 to 4.5MB.

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (11/28/89)

I haven't personally used any of the laser printers mentioned
in the posting that this follows up, but one important caveat
to anyone looking at "HP compatible" laser printers: choose
your software first and make sure that its HP output can print
on the printer. Many printers that claim to be HP compatible in
fact are not. (One exhaustive test of HP-compatible printers
found only one printer claiming HPLJ+ compatibility that passed
the test: the HP LJII!)

-dh
--
"Odi et amo, quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
   nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior"          -Catullus

hburford@enprt.Wichita.NCR.COM (Harry Burford) (11/29/89)

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) writes:

>Many printers that claim to be HP compatible in
>fact are not. (One exhaustive test of HP-compatible printers
>found only one printer claiming HPLJ+ compatibility that passed
>the test: the HP LJII!)
>-dh
>D.A. Hosek.                        UUCP: uunet!jarthur!dhosek

Is this the same exhaustive test that PC Magazine did where they
said ...
"the NCR 6435 wore the true colors of HP on every test were the
slightest hint of inexact HP emulation would be detected." ?
Or, is this a different exhaustive test?  I agree that the NCR 6435
does differ from a REAL HP in several ways ... the 6435 has better
print quality and a lower cost of operation.  (TEC based engine)
hb
--
Harry Burford - NCR Peripheral Products Division, Printer Products
PHONE: 316-636-8016       TELEX: 417-465         FAX: 316-636-8889

dhosek@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (D.A. Hosek) (11/30/89)

The test that I referred to was done by a U.K. university. The
area where every non-HP printer failed was in font downloading.
I don't have the time to track down the reference, although I'm
fairly sure that it appeared in UKTeX (back issues are online at
sun.soe.clarkson.edu and uk.ac.aston (for the UKers)). Incidentally,
the test predated the IID and IIP and possibly many other
"compatibles". The point was simply that one should make sure that
one's software works with the printer (even if you're buying an HP
since the software might have been tested on something else).

-dh