[comp.text.desktop] Self-Publishing

10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Tenney) (11/21/89)

Can anyone out there in netland recommend any books or magazine issues
that do a good job on explaining the use of desktop publishing for
books (novels, short stories, etc. with little graphics)?

Thanks ahead of time!

    Steve Tenney                   | "I spied three ships
    Hewlett-Packard  Corvallis, ORE|  They were all sailin' my way.
    10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM           |  I asked the captain of the first
       _ _|***|__                  |  ship what his name was and
      |_        _|||               |  how come he didn't drive a truck?
        ( ~~ ~~ )))                |  he said his name was Columbus
          \ == ///                 |  an' I just said 'Good Luck!'"

mikes@NCoast.ORG (Mike Squires) (11/26/89)

In article <25160001@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> 10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Tenney) writes:
>Can anyone out there in netland recommend any books or magazine issues
>that do a good job on explaining the use of desktop publishing for
>books (novels, short stories, etc. with little graphics)?

Don Lancaster, the Postscript guru for Computer Shopper, has had at least
one article on self-publishing.  He uses a LW II NTX with the texts stored
on the HD, I believe.

Michael L. Squires      uucp: {necntc,cwjcc,hoptoad}!ncoast!peng!sir-alan!mikes
752 Chestnut Street                 ..!{pitt,uunet!convex,uunet}!sir-alan!mikes
Meadville, PA 16335                      BITNET: mikes%sir-alan@pitt.UUCP (VAX)
Voice:  814 337 5528                          MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Data:   814 337 0348             Internet: sir-alan!mikes@uunet.uu.net
login of "ubbs" for BBS                    sir-alan!mikes@vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (11/28/89)

In article <25160001@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> 10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Tenney) writes:
>Can anyone out there in netland recommend any books or magazine issues
>that do a good job on explaining the use of desktop publishing for
>books (novels, short stories, etc. with little graphics)?
>
>Thanks ahead of time!

I published a book this spring (second printing this fall). About this
time a year ago I was completely in the dark about self-publishing,
although I'd produced numerous manuals, etc. for publication by others.
Occasionally you'll find a magazine article in one of the desktop
publishing mags, but I have a generally low opinion of these magazines
in general. Aside from the fact that the subject is too complex to cover
in that little space, their general tone seems to be "gee, it's really
neat and not really much problem". My experience is that you will mostly
have to learn a lot about the printing process, as opposed to desktop
publishing. That is, be prepared top talk about weights, grain, opacity
of paper, inks, bindings, offset printing, and so on. Printers in general
(and I talked to about ten of them before selecting one) know *nothing*
about computers. You will have to provide camera-ready copy and
specify *every detail* in the process (cropping, gutters, line screens, etc.).
If you plan to include any half-tones or grey-scales, be very careful --
printing with ink is much different than printing with toner. Also,
get friendly with your local Linotronic service (assuming you want
high quality output for a book). Going from LaserWriter to typesetting
is an experience in itself. And so on...

I never did find a book that explained any of this. Basically, there
are books on desktop publishing aimed at getting something out
on your own printer, and there are books on self-publishing books
(via the traditional manuscript or possibly word-processor route).
I found the following in the latter class:
"The Complete Guide to Self-Publishing"
Tom & Marilyn Ross,
Writer's Digest Books.

"Methods of Book Design"
Hugh Williamson,
Yale University press.

and piles of books on book design, typography, etc. (which are the
real issues, anyway; the computer is just a tool, right?)

Anyway, when all is said and done, it's really great to publish
(and sell!) your own book. I managed to do everything on a Mac SE
(using MS Word, QuarkXpress, Illustrator and FreeHand) except the
cover. Originally, I did the cover myself and printed the
separations on a Linotronic. Howver, this runs into problem with
'traps' and line screens (more printer terminology), so for the
second printing we cut and pasted the cover manually, using the
printers vignette screens and my Lino'd type (in Pantone colours,
btw).

In summary, it's fun, but be prepared to learn a lot and take much
more time than you expected.

or did you just want a simple explanation of how to print pages
on your dot-matrix printer?  :-)

--
Frank Kolnick,
consulting for, and therefore expressing opinions independent of, Computer X

karl@grebyn.com (Karl Nyberg) (11/29/89)

In article <5158@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
>In article <25160001@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> 10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Tenney) writes:
>>Can anyone out there in netland recommend any books or magazine issues
>>that do a good job on explaining the use of desktop publishing for
>>books (novels, short stories, etc. with little graphics)?
>>
>>Thanks ahead of time!

I recommend:

The Publish-it-yourself Handbook, edited by Bill Henderson, published by:

	Pushcart Press
	P. O. Box 380
	Wainscott, NY 11975

ISBN 0-016366-44-8.

$11.95 paperback from W. W. Norton & Co. 500 Fifth Ave., NYC, NY 10110.

-- Karl --

Karl A. Nyberg		karl@grebyn.com, nyberg@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Grebyn Corporation		   karl%grebyn.com@haven.umd.edu
P. O. Box 497			      {decuac,haven}!grebyn!karl
Vienna, VA 22183-0497				    703-281-2194

10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Tenney) (11/30/89)

>or did you just want a simple explanation of how to print pages
>on your dot-matrix printer?  :-)

No, you answered my question perfectly.  Thanks for all the information.
I'll put it to good use.  And thanks for everyone else who sent

    Steve Tenney                   | "I spied three ships
    Hewlett-Packard  Corvallis, ORE|  They were all sailin' my way.
    10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM           |  I asked the captain of the first
       _ _|***|__                  |  ship what his name was and
      |_        _|||               |  how come he didn't drive a truck?
        ( ~~ ~~ )))                |  he said his name was Columbus
          \ == ///                 |  an' I just said 'Good Luck!'"
           ||||\\\                 |    -Bob Dylan

10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Tenney) (11/30/89)

>Anyway, when all is said and done, it's really great to publish
>(and sell!) your own book. I managed to do everything on a Mac SE
>(using MS Word, QuarkXpress, Illustrator and FreeHand) except the
>cover. Originally, I did the cover myself and printed the
>separations on a Linotronic. Howver, this runs into problem with
>'traps' and line screens (more printer terminology), so for the
>second printing we cut and pasted the cover manually, using the
>printers vignette screens and my Lino'd type (in Pantone colours,
>btw).

>In summary, it's fun, but be prepared to learn a lot and take much
>more time than you expected.

>Frank Kolnick,

One other question, Frank--except for the software, could you give a
ballpark figure on how much it cost to get your manuscript printed
(mainly just the printer's cost)?

Also, how does the IRS accept business expenses as far as writing off
your own labor (assuming you did set up the production of your book
as a business).  I knew of someone, who owned his own piano store, who
treated himself as both president of his company as well as a laborer.

Thanks for your info!

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (11/30/89)

In article <25160003@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> 10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Tenney) writes:
>One other question, Frank--except for the software, could you give a
>ballpark figure on how much it cost to get your manuscript printed
>(mainly just the printer's cost)?
>
>Also, how does the IRS accept business expenses as far as writing off
>your own labor (assuming you did set up the production of your book
>as a business).  I knew of someone, who owned his own piano store, who
>treated himself as both president of his company as well as a laborer.
>
>Thanks for your info!

The actual printing cost is highly dependent on the paper stock (best
if you use a 'house' brand that the printer buys in large quantities)
and particularly the quantity printed. There's a set-up cost of
several thousand dollars (I got quotes from 3 to 8K!) , plus a per-copy
charge which diminishes gradually with greater quantities. My first
printing ran about $6 a copy (Canadian) for a 300 page book on really
good paper (I'm fussy, and it was my first book), perfect-bound,
with a colour, laminated cover. If I had printed 2000, the charge would
have been about $5; at any smaller quantity, it would have been
prohibitive. I priced out the equivalent of K & R and it would have saved
me another dollar or so (cheaper paper, smaller size, simple cover).
I didn't factor in the time spent, since this would have been depressing :-)

As for taxes, our equivalent of the IRS treats me as a low-volume
manufacturer, so I can deduct the printing and materials costs. As for
salary and other such questions, we're primarily a consulting company,
and we're incorporated, and this is all too complex for me so I
let our accountant handle it :-) I.e., there seems to be a lot
of latitude in determining what goes where, and how your doing this
year, where your year-end occurs, and so on. I'd rather write.

You're welcome.

(Btw, printers are really skeptical when you do this sort of thing.
Which is another reason to try know more than they do. On the other
hand, when you go back for your next printing -- esp. in a greater
quantity -- the president brings you a coffee!)

--

cortesi@infmx.UUCP (David Cortesi) (12/01/89)

In article <25160003@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM> 10e@hpcvia.CV.HP.COM (Steven_Tenney) writes:

>Also, how does the IRS accept business expenses as far as writing off
>your own labor (assuming you did set up the production of your book
>as a business).  I knew of someone, who owned his own piano store, who
>treated himself as both president of his company as well as a laborer.

Unless they fixed the tax law since 1988 when I was last free-lancing,
it is a LOT more complicated than you think.  At least then, books were
capitalized income, not current income.  That is, you could note all the
expenses that went into producing a book, but you could only charge them
against the actual income produced by THAT book.  Conversely, income from
a book could only be reduced by the expenses on that book, not any other
expense.  This is as opposed to what you might expect, charging the expenses
incurred this year against whatever income you made this year from any source.

Naturally this creates a very complicated accounting problem for the
free-lance writer/publisher, since expenses have to be kept in separate
accounts by project and doled out over possibly years as income comes in.
Various writers groups were trying to get the law changed without much
effect the last I heard...

amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (12/01/89)

In article <5173@mnetor.UUCP>, frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:
> (Btw, printers are really skeptical when you do this sort of thing.
> Which is another reason to try know more than they do. On the other
> hand, when you go back for your next printing -- esp. in a greater
> quantity -- the president brings you a coffee!)

This touches on a good point.  Printers tend to be skeptical of "amateurs"
who don't know what they're doing, and usually with good reason.  Printing
involves a lot of detail, and one of the best things you can do to prepare
yourself for publishing something yourself is to learn as much as you can
about graphic arts and print production *before* you start.  A lot of this
may seem irrelevant, but it will let you tell the printer what you want and
answer most of the questions they ask you.  It will also gain their respect,
since it shows that you have made an effort to avoid common pitfalls.

If you just hand them a pile of loose Lino output and say "Here--make a
book out these", you'll end up being a "stupid customer story" :-).

Especially for stuff that doesn't involve process color, it's actually not
too hard, but keep in mind the old carpenter's adage: "measure twice, cut
once."  Problems you avoid in the first place are problems you don't have
to fix later...

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation

>This touches on a good point.  Printers tend to be skeptical of "amateurs"
>who don't know what they're doing, and usually with good reason.  Printing
>involves a lot of detail, and one of the best things you can do to prepare
>yourself for publishing something yourself is to learn as much as you can
>about graphic arts and print production *before* you start.

Definitely. When I decided to switch OtherRealms to offset, I got
preliminary quotes from a number of printers, then when I chose one,
I sat down with him and said "tell me exactly how you want this to look."

He did. I followed it. In the time I did offset, we only had one problem [he
used the wrong paper weight, and he ate the price difference] and that was
because he misread the job order. We never had a job that didn't go right
onto plates without a glitch and never needed rework.

Books are nice, but the printer is expert. Every shop handles things a
little differently, and the single best place to get the right information
is from the person who's going to be doing the job. Don't expect him to
teach you from scratch, but *do* use his expertise to help you figure out
how to get things ready. They should be *very* happy to show you a sample
job and spend 20 or 30 minutes going over how they want things, because
it'll save them hours (and you money and hassle and frustration) later. If
they aren't willing, you probably want another shop, especially as a
beginner.

>If you just hand them a pile of loose Lino output and say "Here--make a
>book out these", you'll end up being a "stupid customer story" :-).

The more work you do, the less the pre-press will cost.  Unless you do 100%
of the layout on-line (unlikely and probably not a good idea, especially if
you've got photos or other things that require good reproduction), you'll
want a waxer and to learn how to use it. Do your own paste-up, set up the
boards, get as much done as you can and you'll find things go very smoothly
with many fewers surprises.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

When it comes to matters ourside your specialties, you are consistently and
brilliantly stupid [....] with respect to matters you haven't studied and
have had no experience basing your opinions on casual gossip [....] and
plain misinformation -- unsuspected because you haven't attempted to verify it.
	-- Robert Heinlein to J.W. Campbell, Jr. 1941

tut%cairo@Sun.COM (Bill "Bill" Tuthill) (12/05/89)

In article <2737@infmx.UUCP>, cortesi@infmx.UUCP (David Cortesi) writes:

> Unless they fixed the tax law since 1988 when I was last free-lancing,
> it is a LOT more complicated than you think.  At least then, books were
> capitalized income, not current income.  That is, you could note all the
> expenses that went into producing a book, but you could only charge them
> against the actual income produced by THAT book.  Conversely, income from
> a book could only be reduced by the expenses on that book, not any other
> expense.  This is as opposed to what you might expect, charging the expenses
> incurred this year against whatever income you made this year from any source.
> Naturally this creates a very complicated accounting problem for the
> free-lance writer/publisher, since expenses have to be kept in separate
> accounts by project and doled out over possibly years as income comes in.
> Various writers groups were trying to get the law changed without much
> effect the last I heard...

The tax law was changed in the Technical Corrections Act of 1988 (I think
that was the year).  Writers are often good at writing letters, and elected
officials pay attention to letters.  I doubt freelance writers had the clout
to do it, though-- I think the Hollywood studios paid the lobbyists who
actually made the difference.

So the tax law is just like it used to be: year by year.  If you lose money
researching a book that won't be finished until next year, you can deduct the
loss this year.

Bill