[comp.text.desktop] troff processor for DOS?

george@webb.psych.ufl.edu (Stephanie George) (12/14/89)

Does there exist some sort of program that converts a troff file into an ASCII-
printable file from a PC?  This request comes from someone without regular
access to a Unix system, but has a consistent source of troff files which he
needs to be able to print from a PC.

If none of these groups are the correct groups for this info, please be so kind
as to let me know the correct one(s).

Thanks,
Stephanie George

--
Stephanie George
george@webb.psych.ufl.edu

brown@vidiot.UUCP (Vidiot) (12/16/89)

In article <21458@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> george@webb.psych.ufl.edu (Stephanie George) writes:
<Does there exist some sort of program that converts a troff file into an ASCII-
<printable file from a PC?  This request comes from someone without regular
<access to a Unix system, but has a consistent source of troff files which he
<needs to be able to print from a PC.

MKS has a package called MKS SQPS.  It is troff and DWB2.2 ditroff compatible.

But, your problem is that even if you use the line printer support, the troff
files that you have may not print correctly.  Many troff files use the special
features available to typesetters, ie, font sizes, pitches, graphics, etc.  I
know that I do.  The troff program guides that I put out will not work in
plain ASCII.  You'll end up with garbage.

If you are printing Unix manuals, you can get away with nroffing those things.
What I produce will only work with troff.  Keep that in mind when looking for
a PC version of troff.  Not everything you get in troff source will nroff.

For more information, send e-mail to:

	uunet!watmath!mks!inquiry
		or
	uunet.uu.net!watmath!mks!inquiry
--
                harvard\     att!nicmad\
Vidiot            ucbvax!uwvax..........!astroatc!vidiot!brown

kg@elan.elan.com (Ken Greer) (12/18/89)

From article <21458@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by george@webb.psych.ufl.edu (Stephanie George):
> Does there exist some sort of program that converts a troff file into an ASCII
> printable file from a PC?  This request comes from someone without regular
> access to a Unix system, but has a consistent source of troff files which he
> needs to be able to print from a PC.

Even better: The real thing...

NROFF/PC - True AT&T Nroff, with Tbl and other goodies.
	   If you simply want to convert to ASCII, this will do it.
	   Price $129.
EROFF/PC - True AT&T diTroff, HP LaserJet, PostScript driver, the works.
	   The fancy package for doing true troff typesetting and printing
	   on MS-DOS to a laser printer.
	   Price $695.

Both available from...
		   Elan Computer Group, Inc.