[comp.text.desktop] What song contains the phrase "WYSIWYG"?

freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) (12/24/89)

I know that WYSIWYG means that what you see on the screen is what
you'll get on paper when you print it.  I know that it is an
abbreviation of the phrase "what you see is what you get".  I know (?)
that this phrase comes from some popular song.

My question is: from which song did the phrase "what you see is what
you get" come?

Just curious...

--
Freek "the Pistol Major" Wiedijk                  Path: uunet!fwi.uva.nl!freek
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (12/25/89)

In <351@fwi.uva.nl> Freek Wiedijk wrote:
>                                         I know that [WYSIWYG] is an
> abbreviation of the phrase "what you see is what you get".  I know (?)
> that this phrase comes from some popular song.

I'm not dead sure, but I *think* the phrase occurred in a lyric which began
thus:

	If you want it / here it is, come and get it
	But you better hurry 'cause it's going fast
	If you want it / here it is, come and get it
	But you better hurry 'cause it may not last
	Did I hear you say that there must be a catch?
	What was it they said about a fool and his money...

couple with a simple, pretty, Beatles-esque melody by a group called the
Badfinger back around 1970. I never knew the official title but the piece and
the group were once favorites of mine. Their sound was remarkably crisp and
nicely engineered for the period (like, for example, the Guess Who) and they've
worn well over the years. Unfortunately the group itself faded from view after
about '73.

Does anyone know more for sure?
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

sharon@asylum.SF.CA.US (Sharon Fisher) (12/26/89)

In article <1TvfrT#4xr7gM=eric@snark.uu.net> eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>In <351@fwi.uva.nl> Freek Wiedijk wrote:
>>                                         I know that [WYSIWYG] is an
>> abbreviation of the phrase "what you see is what you get".  I know (?)
>> that this phrase comes from some popular song.
>
>I'm not dead sure, but I *think* the phrase occurred in a lyric which began
>thus:
>
>	If you want it / here it is, come and get it
>	But you better hurry 'cause it's going fast

No, there really is a song that may well be called "What you see is
what you get."  It was probably in the 70s and was done by a group
like, say, the O'Jays or Ohio Players or something.

To the best of my knowledge, it comes not from a song, but from a skit
on laugh-in that was repeated a few times.  I think it was part of the
routine of some commedienne, and some other comics picked it up.  (Flip
Wilson, perhaps?)

Tina Turner recently did a song called "What you get is what you see."

paul@hp-sdd.hp.com (Paul K Johnson) (12/26/89)

In article <1TvfrT#4xr7gM=eric@snark.uu.net>, eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> In <351@fwi.uva.nl> Freek Wiedijk wrote:
> >                                         I know that [WYSIWYG] is an
> > abbreviation of the phrase "what you see is what you get".  I know (?)
> > that this phrase comes from some popular song.
>
> I'm not dead sure, but I *think* the phrase occurred in a lyric which began
> thus:
>
> 	If you want it / here it is, come and get it
> 	But you better hurry 'cause it's going fast
> 	If you want it / here it is, come and get it
> 	But you better hurry 'cause it may not last
> 	Did I hear you say that there must be a catch?
> 	What was it they said about a fool and his money...

These are the entire lyrics of the song "Come and Get it", although
they are repeated a few times.  Pretty sure of this, I just pulled
it out and listened to it.

I *do* very vaguely remember the song in question though (I think).  It
had a very Motown sound to it, and I think it was done by the same group
that did "Backstabbers".  The main chorus went something like:

What you see, is what you get,
<something> <something> the best thing yet.

Can't pull out any more at the moment. :-(

> Does anyone know more for sure?

Money back guarantee!
> --
>       Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

paul johnson

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (12/26/89)

/ comp.text.desktop / brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) / Dec 25, 1989 /
> Tina Turner recently did a song called "What you get is what you see."

The words "what you get is what you see" appeared in a song in the movie
_Jesus Christ Superstar_.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

roberson@esquire.UUCP (Kevin D. Roberson) (12/26/89)

What you see is what you get ...

A pre-disco recording and release by a group called "The Dramatics" circa
1971.  I'm pretty sure it made the top 10 on the R&B charts.

However, the phrase "What you see is what you get" was first made popular by
Flip Wilson by his character "Geraldine".  That had to be around 1968 or so.

(Gee, am I dating myself or What????)

KDR

pc@ukc.ac.uk (R.P.A.Collinson) (12/27/89)

In article <1TvfrT#4xr7gM=eric@snark.uu.net> eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

	If you want it / here it is, come and get it
	But you better hurry 'cause it's going fast
	If you want it / here it is, come and get it
	But you better hurry 'cause it may not last
	Did I hear you say that there must be a catch?
	What was it they said about a fool and his money...

Was this not a theme song from a film at the time. Was it the Michael Caine
one with the minis and the robbery in Italy (Venice??)? I forget the title.

tomd@retix.retix.COM (Tom Dietz) (12/28/89)

In article <1TvfrT#4xr7gM=eric@snark.uu.net> eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>In <351@fwi.uva.nl> Freek Wiedijk wrote:
>>                                         I know that [WYSIWYG] is an
>> abbreviation of the phrase "what you see is what you get".  I know (?)
>> that this phrase comes from some popular song.

Oingo Boingo had a song a few years ago that I believe was entitled "What You
See (is what you get)". I could be wrong about the title, but they definitely
use the complete phrase.

Tom Dietz

"This is my art, and it is dangerous"  -Delia Dietz in Beetlejuice

howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM (Howard Stateman) (12/28/89)

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>I'm not dead sure, but I *think* the phrase occurred in a lyric which began
>thus:
>
	>If you want it / here it is, come and get it
	>But you better hurry 'cause it's going fast
>Does anyone know more for sure?
>[and stuff about it being Beatle-esque by Badfinger and well-engineered]

No, WYSIWIG is not in this song, which is the "Theme from the Magic Christian"
according to the single I have of it. No wonder it sounds like Beatles,
it was the first non-Beatle 45 put out on their Apple (eat your heart out,
Scully) label.

. Howard Stateman       | I knew French was a language by age 6.     .
. howeird@hpwrce.HP.COM | At 19 I discovered it was also a tongue.   .
. hplabs!hpwrce!howeird |.............................................
. [Not an HP spokesman] |  Anatomically Correct BBS (415) 967-4265   .

jones@optilink.UUCP (Marvin Jones) (12/28/89)

In article <1TvfrT#4xr7gM=eric@snark.uu.net>, eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> In <351@fwi.uva.nl> Freek Wiedijk wrote:
> >                                         I know that [WYSIWYG] is an
> > abbreviation of the phrase "what you see is what you get".  I know (?)
> > that this phrase comes from some popular song.
>
> I'm not dead sure, but I *think* the phrase occurred in a lyric which began
> thus:
>
> 	If you want it / here it is, come and get it

Nope.  This tune is just called "Come And Get It".

I also remember the WYSIWYG song, but can't recall the details.  I believe it
was an American soul group, along the lines of the O'Jays or something.
(Boy, is this dredging up some memories!)  Around the early '70's, I think.

Hope this triggers someone elses brain cells!

Regards,

--
	Marvin Jones 		 uucp:    {pyramid, tekbspa}!optilink!jones
	Optilink Corp. 		 bell-net: 707-795-9444 X 206

seeger@manatee.cis.ufl.edu (F. L. Charles Seeger III) (12/28/89)

As I wrote to Eric via Email:
| That's from the Magic Christian soundtrack album (what? you haven't seen the
| movie with Peter Sellers and Ringo Starr?).  I would have to check the album
| to be sure of the song title.  The group broke up in '75 (I believe) after
| Pete Ham committed suicide.  The remnants reunited about '79 and did a rather
| disco-y album.  They played at a club here in Gaineville a couple of years
| ago, apparently releasing an album that I've never seen (one of their new
| songs was "Vampire Wedding").  I sure hope their old stuff will come out
| on CD sometime.  Pete was the guitarist backing up George Harrison in the
| Concert for Bangladesh film, and he was the real talent in the group.  Joey
| Molland isn't a bad performer, but he's not is the same league as a writer.
| They were know as the only officially (by the Beatles themselves) sanctioned
| Beatles rip-off group, but I liked them a lot.
|
| BTW, I don't recall the phrase "what you see is what you get" being in that
| song.  Could be wrong, though.

Follow ups to rec.music.misc or rec.arts.movies, please.

Chuck

--
  Charles Seeger    E301 CSE Building        +1 904 335 8053
  CIS Department    University of Florida

usul@auc.UUCP (Ron McBay ) (12/29/89)

>> In <351@fwi.uva.nl> Freek Wiedijk wrote:
>> >                                         I know that [WYSIWYG] is an
>> > abbreviation of the phrase "what you see is what you get".  I know (?)
>> > that this phrase comes from some popular song.

The song WAS called "What You See Is What You Get".  I was thinking it was
by the Friends Of Distinction or some other type band.  But it WASN'T an
original phrase when that song came out.  I'm pretty sure that Flip Wilson
originated the phrase on Laugh-In when he did his Geraldine character.

Here are some lyrics I can remember:

		 Some people are made of plastic
		 Some people are made of wood
		 Some people have hearts of stone (?)
		 Some people are up to no good

		 But baby, I'm for real (?)
		 I'm as real as real can get
		 'Cause what you see is what you get.

A great song as I recall. That's all I can recall at the moment.
Maybe this helps jog a few memories out there in net-land.

		  -- Ron McBay
		  ...!{gatech,emory}!auc!usul

--
Ron McBay                        I'm trying to tell you something about my life
Atlanta University Center        Maybe give me insight between black and white

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (12/29/89)

In article <3023@hp-sdd.hp.com> paul@hp-sdd.hp.com (Paul K Johnson) writes:

> What you see, is what you get,
> <something> <something> the best thing yet.

> Can't pull out any more at the moment. :-(

That sounds quite a bit like a line out of _Jesus Christ Superstar_, from the
song "The Temple".  In context:

Take your pick from the finest wine,
Lay your bets on this bird of mine,
What you see is what you get,
No one's been disappointed yet,
Don't be scared, give me a try,
there is nothing you can't buy...

... but this is probably just a tangent that no one else had in mine.
Personally, I think that the phrase WYSIWYG is much older than any of this...
while Flip Wilson *did* popularize it as Geraldine, I think it antedates him,
simply as a consumer catch-phrase, like dime-a-dozen or "the whole 9 yards".

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

komatsu@aludra.usc.edu (-----> Dave) (01/02/90)

In article <1693@esquire.UUCP> roberson@esquire.UUCP (Kevin D. Roberson) writes:
>What you see is what you get ...
>
>A pre-disco recording and release by a group called "The Dramatics" circa
>1971.  I'm pretty sure it made the top 10 on the R&B charts.
>
>However, the phrase "What you see is what you get" was first made popular by
>Flip Wilson by his character "Geraldine".  That had to be around 1968 or so.

I can't seem to find the original post (my new program ate it) but I
believe the song that contains WYSIWYG is

           DESIRE   by  Gene Loves Jezebel

Lyrics I remember....

Sugar I've been missing you
and I don't know where it is that you've been hiding
I'm in a ball of fire
in your arms desire
and I've been wondering where it is you're hiding
What you get is what you see... Desire

komatsu@aludra.usc.edu          | "WYSIWYG" -- Gene Loves Jezebel