[comp.text.desktop] Problem w/QMS UltraScript PC 2.0

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (01/03/90)

Has anybody had the following problem with UltraScript? [Is QMS
listening out there?]  Does anybody use it USPC?

I picked-up a copy of UltraScript PC last month, but immediately had
problems with it going into an infinite loop and/or rebooting the CPU
after printing.

First: The hardware

     New Packard Bell 80286 12MH           DOS 3.3
     60 MB Disk                        2.4 MB RAM
     New HP IIP w/512K (more memory on the way)

The first time I tried USPC, using the interactive
configurer/interpreter, the sample PostScript file did print, but the
machine rebooted (all this being done at 150DPI because of the low
HPIIP memory).  Two more attempts to print using the non-interactive
(but it still goes "full-screen") PS interpreter were successful, but
each time the interpreter goes into an "endless loop" condition (where
the "work-in-progress" icon just wizzes across the screen).  The only
way to get out is to reboot the CPU.

While what little I accomplished/printed looked promising, the idea
of having to reset the machine everytime doesn't.  While this info
is pretty skimpy (8-(), anyone have any ideas?

--
Marc Ries
           ries@venice.sedd.trw.com     (ARPA)

mikem@copper.WR.TEK.COM (Mike Mihalik) (01/04/90)

In article <225@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) writes:
> Has anybody had the following problem with UltraScript? [Is QMS
> listening out there?]  Does anybody use it USPC?
>
> I picked-up a copy of UltraScript PC last month, but immediately had
> problems with it going into an infinite loop and/or rebooting the CPU
> after printing.

Do you have Windows HIMEM.SYS present in your config.sys? The DOS
Extender that Ultrascript doesn't get along with himem.sys on all
machines. If not, what does your config.sys look like? Be suspicious
of any programs that use extended memory.

Even though the manual says it should work fine with himem.sys, that
isn't true. I discussed this with the tech. support people at QMS.
Once you get by this problem, you should be very happy with
Ultrascript.

I have successfully used it with all windows applications; I am using
a DeskJet and a PaintJet(color). It is compatible with the DMP
spooler. If you can afford it, get 1-2Mbytes of extended memory for
Ultrascript, so it can always be resident.

Mike Mihalik
Tektronix, Inc.

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (01/05/90)

In article <1243@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> mikem@copper.WR.TEK.COM (Mike Mihalik) writes:
->> listening out there?]  Does anybody use it USPC?
->>
[...]picked-up a copy of UltraScript PC last month, but immediately had
->Do you have Windows HIMEM.SYS present in your config.sys? The DOS
->Extender that Ultrascript doesn't get along with himem.sys on all
->machines. If not, what does your config.sys look like? Be suspicious
->of any programs that use extended memory.
->
->Even though the manual says it should work fine with himem.sys, that
->isn't true. I discussed this with the tech. support people at QMS.
->Once you get by this problem, you should be very happy with
->Ultrascript.

Yes, I do use Windows, and yes, now that you mention it, I do have
HIMEM.sys as the first entry in config.sys.  I try removing it
(when I get home).

Which brings up the question, how do you set up Windows if your
not using himem.sys (and one assumes, smartdrv.sys)?  Do you just
keep switching/rebooting between config.sys' for Windows and UltraScript
or what?

Thanks for the tip ( and hope it works),

--

mikem@copper.WR.TEK.COM (Mike Mihalik) (01/06/90)

In article <230@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM>, ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) writes:
> Yes, I do use Windows, and yes, now that you mention it, I do have
> HIMEM.sys as the first entry in config.sys.  I try removing it
> (when I get home).
>
> Which brings up the question, how do you set up Windows if your
> not using himem.sys (and one assumes, smartdrv.sys)?  Do you just
> keep switching/rebooting between config.sys' for Windows and UltraScript
> or what?

You can of course use Windows and smartdrv without himem.sys. You just
have less memory to work with (about 48K less).

Another gentlemen from Shell responded that his configuration works OK
with himem.sys V2.06, which is the latest version, and the one I was
having trouble with. QMS says you may or may not be able to get
himem.sys V2.06 to coexist with USPC. I could not, reliably.

Good Luck!

Mike Mihalik

ries@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Marc Ries) (01/08/90)

[stuff deleted about USPC not working on this configuration]
->You can of course use Windows and smartdrv without himem.sys. You just
->have less memory to work with (about 48K less).
->
->Another gentlemen from Shell responded that his configuration works OK
->with himem.sys V2.06, which is the latest version, and the one I was
->having trouble with. QMS says you may or may not be able to get
->himem.sys V2.06 to coexist with USPC. I could not, reliably.

   This weekend I re-tested USPC with minimal configurations: nothing but
   "files=" and "buffers=" in config.sys and the basic PATH and SET commands
   in autoexec.bat.  This left USPC with nothing out of the ordinary in memory
   drivers, etc., and a full 1.9+ Meg. of motherboard RAM to play around with.

   I was careful to redo the USPC memory setup program.  To make a long story
   short, it still hung the system (after printing the PS file)?!?!?!?!?!?