[comp.text.desktop] PageMaker --> RTF or text ??

REZAC@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/12/90)

Can anyone tell me if there is any technique, method, software, or incantation
which will allow one to extract the text and text styles (fonts, italics,
paragraph indents, etc.) from a PageMaker document.

I need something that will allow me to easily change the text in a catalog I
update every other year.  Changing the text will involve modifying fonts,
adding and deleting text content, etc.  I know style are an option; but they
appear to be more trouble than they are worth considering the initial text
started out already speced and formatted in MSWord.

Any ideas are appreciated.

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
CHARLES REZAC   *: REZAC@UKANVAX   internet: rezac@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

REZAC@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

>Can anyone tell me if there is any technique, method, software, or incantation
>which will allow one to extract the text and text styles (fonts, italics,
>paragraph indents, etc.) from a PageMaker document.

>I know style are an option; but they
>appear to be more trouble than they are worth considering the initial text
>started out already speced and formatted in MSWord.

If you're importing from MS Word, why not just export back into Word?
With Pagemaker 3.02 (mac version), you can just export it back to a
word file and keep the formatting. alternatively, you can export it
with tags, either as word or a text file, and then manipulate the tags
before you re-import.

[tags prepend a string of the form '<' + pagemaker_style_name + '>'
every place you make a style change in a pagemaker document. You can
then import text that has tags in it to rebuild the document after changes.

I do this a fair amount when copyfitting, since I prefer to do my editing in
word and not do large changes in PageMaker. Works fine.

--

Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

The contest is over. Six people got the correct answer. The interesting
thing was the reaction to a list of names. You'd almost think that I'd said
something negative about them -- which I didn't. The reasons for the list
were left to the imagination -- on purpose. The reactions were amusing.