[comp.text.desktop] Sun <--> Compugraphic

lj@spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) (02/06/90)

Does anyone have any experience with the work Agfa/Compugraphic
is doing with a low end Sun based page layout system?  Anyone reading
this have anything to do with the design or coding?

If the programmers are reading this, do you have comments?

Thanks.
--
Len Jacobs
lj@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM

wsinpdb@eutws1.win.tue.nl (Paul de Bra) (02/07/90)

In article <1542@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> lj@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Len Jacobs) writes:
>Does anyone have any experience with the work Agfa/Compugraphic
>is doing with a low end Sun based page layout system?  Anyone reading
>this have anything to do with the design or coding?
>
>If the programmers are reading this, do you have comments?

I have been one of the programmers at Agfa for a short time (3 months).
Agfa in Antwerp (Belgium) is developing a publishing package for Suns,
based on the old and obsolete Omnipage package of the Omnipage corp.
which went down the drain a couple of years ago. (not to be confused
with another package which is called omnipage and is being sold by a
completely different company and which is something completely different)

The "Agfapress" program is something like Framemaker or Interleaf,
but it still is in the development phase (and doesn't seem to get out
of that phase). It's being developed by a small team of <10 people
of which some are really good. The system is being demoed at several
exhibitions. Very few systems have been sold so far, mostly because
it is pretty obvious that the product still needs a lot of work before
being ready to hit the market.

The team can be reached by phone at +32 3 444.7613 and they should
be reachable by e-mail pretty soon (the belgian uucp backbone is currently
being set up...) using any of the names chris, dirk, or luc
@flitser.eps.agfa.be

Hope this gives the desired info without sounding commercial. (again,
the product is still under development and I wouldn't recommend it to
anyone within at least another year)

Paul.
(debra@research.att.com)