[comp.text.desktop] 'Publish' magazine redesign

BL.JPL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jonathan Lavigne) (04/08/90)

In article <40077@apple.Apple.COM>,
chuq@Apple.COM (The Bounty Hunter) writes:
>Well, the May 1990 Publish (note, no more "!") magazine is here, and they've
>done another bottom-to-top redesign. So it's time to kibbitz about how the
>folks who are trying to teach us all about publishing did.
>
>What do people think? Did they blow it again in their attempt to out-Spy Spy?
>
>Is it trendy? Or just unreadable?
Some of it is certainly unreadable, or at least it mightily resists
reading.  The cover, for example, is a disaster.  The background image
overwhelms the text, so you can't tell what's inside.  Some of the
inside pages also have the same problem.  The cutesy background drowns
out the foreground text. Is this a new wave of deconstructionist design?
I have the feeling they think doing the opposite of what's expected is
with-it and now and rad. Do people usually read pages from left to
right? Hey, let's put the initial paragraph on the RIGHT. Wow, far out.
What's next, printing the text backward and upside down? That would make
about as much sense as some of the things they've done.
Jonathan Lavigne                 BL.JPL@RLG.STANFORD.EDU
Research Libraries Group
Stanford University