[comp.text.desktop] DTP Publications

AS.MJP@forsythe.stanford.edu (04/09/90)

In article <1990Apr6.050001.5809@intercon.com>
amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) writes:

- lines deleted -

>For my money, the only "DTP" mag worth buying is Personal
>Publishing.

I think it depends what you're looking for. (Technical tips, info
re: design/layout, reviews of new products, etc.)

I don't know if I would say it's the 'only one worth buying' ;-) but
I think ITC "Desktop" is extremely good. It doesn't seem to
be as readily available on the newsstands as some of the other
DTP magazines <a good sign? :-) >

Another recommendation, particularly if you're interested in GOOD
typography, is 'U&lc' (though NOT devoted exclusively to DTP.)

Mike Peters

INTERNET  as.mjp@forsythe.stanford.edu
BITNET    as.mjp@stanford

rlb@cci632.UUCP (Dick Barnard) (04/10/90)

Maybe Publish magazine's new format is a belated April Fools' Day joke!

gwangung@milton.acs.washington.edu (Roger Tang) (04/11/90)

	Can someone point me exactly in what areas the new PUBLISH makeover
is intrinsically bad?

	I glanced over it at the newsstand, and while I agree that it was
change strictly for the sake of change, I can't point out exactly what
is BAD about it (aside from all the ads cramming into page space and
sorta running counter to the new philosophy, such as it is....).  I'm not
being sarcastic; I just want to know for my own growing sense of layout
and design.

ralph@mtune.ATT.COM (Ralph Brandi) (04/14/90)

>>For my money, the only "DTP" mag worth buying is Personal
>>Publishing.

My current favorite is something out of Toronto called Electronic
Composition and Imaging.  I've been finding them at Software Etc.
lately, and I've been fairly impressed with the design and the
quality of the articles.  They outshine the American magazines, in
my opinion.  I just wish they published more often than every other
month, and got down here to the states a little quicker.
--
Ralph Brandi     ralph@mtune.att.com     att!mtune!ralph

Work flows toward the competent until they are submerged.