[comp.text.desktop] Any good WYSIWIG desktop publishing software on UNIX Workstations?

pacific@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Pacific Partners) (07/06/90)

Hi does anyone know of any good software packages available now on Unix
workstations that are under $5000 ?

If so please email.

Thanks in advance

Sal Barbagallo

pault@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Taira) (07/07/90)

>/ hpspdra:comp.text.desktop / pacific@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Pacific Partners) / 12:31 am  Jul  6, 1990 /
>
>Hi does anyone know of any good software packages available now on Unix
>workstations that are under $5000 ?
>

>If so please email.
>

>Thanks in advance
>

>Sal Barbagallo
>----------

   We worked with Interleaf TPS which I know runs on the HP 9000 Series 300s
   and Apollos.  I know they are on other platforms, which others I don't
   know off hand.  The s/w is excellent and is very powerful.

   Paul Taira

tpf4434@DOMAIN_2.lerc.nasa.gov (Teddy Fabian) (07/09/90)

In article <12980001@hpspdra.HP.COM> pault@hpspdra.HP.COM (Paul Taira) writes:
>>/ hpspdra:comp.text.desktop / pacific@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Pacific Partners) / 12:31 am  Jul  6, 1990 /
>>
>>Hi does anyone know of any good software packages available now on Unix
>>workstations that are under $5000 ?
>>
>>Sal Barbagallo
>>----------
>
>   We worked with Interleaf TPS which I know runs on the HP 9000 Series 300s
>   and Apollos.  I know they are on other platforms, which others I don't
>   know off hand.  The s/w is excellent and is very powerful.
>
>   Paul Taira

Interleaf TPS runs on the following platforms (that I know of):

   Apollo DN3x00, DN4x00, DN10000, DN2500, et. al.
      available Interleaf TPS versions include 3.5 and 4.0
      which run under Aegis or Unix..

   Sun workstations (sorryr I don't know the model number)
      available Interleaf TPS versions include 3.5 and 4.0
      which run under Unix

   IBM 386 AT clones / IBM PS/2 family machines
     available Interleaf version called "IBM Interleaf Publisher"
     is a full function version of Interleaf TPS 3.5 approximate cost
     $600 - $1000 depending on distributor
     run under DOS....

   uVax and VaxStations
     Interleaf TPS 3.5 and 4.0 available.
      run under VMS.

all in addition to the HP version mentioned above, and an early version
of Interleaf that ran on an IBM RT under it's operating system..

files are portable between platforms with some conditions.. (ie. how it
was stored.. and what software you're using..)

*  Thanks,                                                    *
*      Ted Fabian            NASA Lewis Research Center       *
*                               Cleveland, Ohio               *
*      phone:     216-433-6307  FTS 297-6307   |  disclaimer: *
*      email:     tpfabian@nasamail.nasa.gov   |  my opinions *
*                 tfabian@earth.lerc.nasa.gov  |  are my own  *
           tfabian@mars.lerc.nasa.gov      *are my own..

saal@cbnewsl.att.com (samuel.saal) (07/09/90)

In article <1924@runxtsa.runx.oz.au> pacific@runxtsa.runx.oz.au (Pacific Partners) writes:

>Hi does anyone know of any good software packages available now on Unix
>workstations that are under $5000 ?

Depending on how many licenses you need, FrameMaker amy
be the right choice.
--
Sam Saal         ...!{att}!floyd!saal
Vayiphtach HaShem et Peah HaAtone

consp22@bingsuns.cc.binghamton.edu (Darren Handler) (07/09/90)

Interleaf publisher will also run on a Mac II series computer

|  Consp22@Bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu  |  SUNY-B Computer Consultants -      |
|  Consp22@Bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu   |  Trying to keep the world safe from |
|---------------------------------------|  the SUNY-B Computer users.         |
|  Consultant/Techie - World Computers  |-------------------------------------|
|  Computer Cons. - SUNY Binghamton     |     Darren `Mac Hack' Handler       |
I don't know if I am going to heaven or hell, I just hope God grades on a curve

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (07/10/90)

In article <1990Jul9.032311.6040@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, tpf4434@DOMAIN_2.lerc.nasa.gov (Teddy Fabian) writes:
> [InterLeaf] files are portable between platforms with some conditions..
> (ie. how it was stored.. and what software you're using..)

     That doesn't sound too portable to me...

     After the number of messages describing InterLeaf, I feel compelled to
mention Frame Maker, from Frame Technology.

     Frame is an outstanding tool, far superior to InterLeaf (IMHO).  It runs
on Sun, Apollo, HP, DEC, NeXT, and Mac platforms, and documents are COMPLETELY
interchangeable.  It is incredibly easy to use, is cheap ($2500 for the
complete package; get a quote from InterLeaf on the ENTIRE package, not just
the intro-level slim TPS stuff they push), and does an excellent job with
any number or size documents.

     Frame really wins on "unusual" layouts, like newsletters and such.
It has, hands down, the best mathematical WYSIWYG typesetter in the business.
The integrated editor and spelling checker are much better than InterLeaf,
and the search and replace function is unparalleled (you can do things like
search for a particular font usage, and replace with anything, including
a graphical object).

     The InterLeaf interface is, in the opinion of many, just terrible.
EVERYTHING is in a menu, and the menu contents change based upon mouse
position and document state.  While InterLeaf has some fancy name for this
and claims that it is better, recent studies (see SIGCHI, April, 1989)
have shown this to be a less effective interface, producing greater
cognitive loading upon the user.  There are few, if any, keyboard
accelerators.

     Frame uses a combination of dialog boxes and pull-down menus for a
very Mac-like interface.  There are keyboard equivalents for every
operation, letting expert touch typists do everything without touching
the mouse.

     A recent review of DTP products for the Mac refused to consider
InterLeaf a Mac product, because its interface was so foreign that Mac users
could not readily use it.  The July 2, 1990 InfoWorld rated the InterLeaf
interface "unacceptable" in terms ease of learning, and just "satisfactory"
in ease of use.  All other tools (Frame, Pagemaker, Xpresss, and Ventura)
were rated either good or very good in ease of use.  InfoWorld rated
InterLeaf last of these five packages overall, while Frame came in next
to last.

     Admittedly, I am a very big fan of Frame.  But do not, DO NOT, consider
purchasing InterLeaf without trying Frame first.  Call 1-800-U4FRAME to get
a free demo copy.

     And, ask your InterLeaf sales rep why so many InterLeaf employees
have quit to go work at Frame :-)

Chuck Musciano				ARPA  : chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com
Harris Corporation 			Usenet: ...!uunet!x102a!trantor!chuck
PO Box 37, MS 3A/1912			AT&T  : (407) 727-6131
Melbourne, FL 32902			FAX   : (407) 729-2537

I'm glad you asked, son.  Being popular
	is the most important thing in the world.	-- Homer Simpson

jsweet@ICS.UCI.EDU (Jerry Sweet) (07/11/90)

At the risk of appearing to be a proponent of Interleaf, I'd like to respond
to a few comments made by Chuck Musciano:

> Frame is an outstanding tool, far superior to InterLeaf (IMHO).
[Cites platforms, heterogenous environment support, price,
and user interface. -j]

Interleaf is indeed a tough sell compared to Frame.  I've heard lots
of complaints about Interleaf and few about Frame.  For most small
one-off document needs, Frame is probably the way to go in WYSIWYG
editors for Unix platforms.  However, for someone maintaining a large
document with many different versions, I'd have to point out
Interleaf's "effectivity control," called "conditional text" by any
normal human being.  Also, Interleaf has pretty good table maintenance
features; I haven't found an equivalent in Frame.  (That's not to say
it isn't there; I just haven't found it yet.)  It is true that you PAY
for these additional features in Interleaf.  On the other hand, at
least you can get the feature extensions if you need them.  And at
least Interleaf has a floating license server now (for an additional
fee), as Frame has had for a while.

One big objection that I have to WYSIWYGs in general is that they tend
to live in their own hermetically sealed worlds, making it difficult
to work with external configuration management requirements.  To
mitigate this, Interleaf has announced something that they call
"Active Documents."  I haven't seen it in action yet, but it looks
good on paper.  It sounds like a less limited version (in terms of
display) of Macintosh's programmable HyperCard software.

If you can stand the learning curve and complicated maintenance
required, WYSIWYG document production systems still can't beat TeX or
LaTeX on platforms supported, heterogeneous environment support,
price, extensibility or hackability.  You pay one way or the other,
though: time and brainpower to deal with TeX, or $$$ for WYSIWYG.

Disclaimer: interested bystander only.

I'd like to hear comments from document hacks who've used both systems
and who've had to deal with document and graphical import/export
issues.  I've used Interleaf and Frame just a little bit,
experimentally.  Has anyone used them "in anger" in the heat of a
larger project context?

wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter Underwood) (07/11/90)

        Frame really wins on "unusual" layouts, like newsletters and such.
   It has, hands down, the best mathematical WYSIWYG typesetter in the
   business.

Have you tried ArborText Publisher?  Full TeX rules in the equation
editor.  All AMS symbols, etc.

The Publisher is different from WYSIWIG -- it is a structured document
editor.  It runs on X11 or SunView, and it does change fonts and sizes on
the screen, but it saves page breaks, columns and that stuff for the
previewer.  Tags (chapter, section, x-ref, today, ...) are visible as
small boxes on the screen, so they can be selected, deleted, changed, etc.

I like it a lot better than the WYSIWIG approach, because it separates the
structure of the document from the style (much like Scribe, LaTeX, or
SGML).  I think there are advantages in that approach for everyone, but it
is particylarly attractive to programmers, since they already understand
manipulating nested structures.

One nice advantage of this approach is the support for "conditinal
compilation".  If the a document needs to be published in two versions
(SunView and X, for example), you can add ifdefs for the parts that
need changed, then print the versions separately.

As mentioned for Frame, The Publisher has keyboard equivalents for
everything.  It also has command language eqivalents for all actions,
and those can be combined into macros, and bound to keys, mouse actions,
or menus.

Check it out before charging off after Frame or Interleaf.  I've tried
both of those, and like the Publisher better.

wunder

mwolf@pws.bull.com (Mary-Anne Wolf) (07/11/90)

I have used Frame 1.? intensively for technical software design documents
and I found it:

	easy and good for transparencies with all graphics (circles, boxes,
	black-and-white dumps from a section of the screen etc.) but it
	lacks non-horizontal text in the graphical tools

	powerful but difficult for mixed text and graphics (things like when
	you have a document with chapters, sections, and subsections
	automatically numbered and you want to stick relatively large
	diagrams into the text that may go off the end of the page, or
	you want to import text from a document created with emacs),

	and relatively good but less convenient than emacs or MacWrite for
	straight text generation (no easy multiple cut-buffers, no easy
	macros, no easy rebinding keys, you have to read the manual to make
	sense of TextRects).

Frame 1.? also has problems with things like it says someone else is using
the file whenever you want to save it.  I hear that 2.0 is MUCH better and
friendlier but I have never used it.

I hear that Interleaf is especially good for creating structured documents
in a particular format (e.g. repair manuals for related kinds of aircraft),
and that they also have the beginnings of an emacs-like LISP customization
and extension language.  If I remember right, they also provide an iconic
desktop which can make the filenames on a short-filename system seem
longer.  It would probably also be easier for things like defining a
footnote to be a certain group of fonts.  You probably have to set up more
ahead of time with Interleaf.  I have not used Interleaf.

The choice between them probably depends on what you want to do.

Mary-Anne Wolf
mwolf@granite.cr.bull.com or mwolf@pws.bull.com
These opinions are my own and not my employer's.

jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) (07/11/90)

In article <4662.647633645@ics.uci.edu>, jsweet@ICS.UCI.EDU (Jerry
Sweet) writes:

> At the risk of appearing to be a proponent of Interleaf, I'd like to respond
> to a few comments made by Chuck Musciano:
>
> > Frame is an outstanding tool, far superior to InterLeaf (IMHO).
> [Cites platforms, heterogenous environment support, price,
> and user interface. -j]
>
> Interleaf is indeed a tough sell compared to Frame.  I've heard lots
> of complaints about Interleaf and few about Frame.  For most small
> one-off document needs, Frame is probably the way to go in WYSIWYG
> editors for Unix platforms.  However, for someone maintaining a large
> document with many different versions, I'd have to point out
> Interleaf's "effectivity control," called "conditional text" by any
> normal human being.  Also, Interleaf has pretty good table maintenance
> features; I haven't found an equivalent in Frame.

[ STUFF DELETED]

> I'd like to hear comments from document hacks who've used both systems
> and who've had to deal with document and graphical import/export
> issues.  I've used Interleaf and Frame just a little bit,
> experimentally.  Has anyone used them "in anger" in the heat of a
> larger project context?

I am using Interleaf for a large project that spans 7 different computing
centers.  One of my tasks is to maintain a large (200+ pages) userguide for
three of the sites.  This userguide has many sections that are identical
except for small modifications to make the guide site specific.  Interleaf's
"effectivity control" feature is ideal for this kind of a task.  It sure
makes my life a little easier.

I can't deny that there is a learning curve involved with Interleaf, but
anyone who has used a few different publishing systems and/or markup
languages shouldn't have too much trouble getting up to speed.  After using
Interleaf for only a few hours at a previous employer, I came to MSC and was
able to define all of the elements and templates I needed to produce the
desired style of documentation in about 1.5 weeks.  Once the templates,
elements, etc. are set up, Interleaf really is pretty easy to use for
document production.

I do have to say, however, that I do not like Interleaf at all for "special
purpose" documents like newsletters and brochures.  For those projects, I use
Quark Express on a Macintosh.

Good luck,

Jeff S.
(Minnesota Supercomputer Center)

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (07/11/90)

In article <3944@trantor.harris-atd.com>, chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:

>      Frame is an outstanding tool, far superior to InterLeaf (IMHO).  It runs
> on Sun, Apollo, HP, DEC, NeXT, and Mac platforms, and documents are COMPLETELY
> interchangeable.

It runs on all 88open BCS compliant systems as well (in fact, everyone
who buys an 88K-based AViiON workstation from DG gets one license for
Frame bundled with the o/s), and I believe that several other computer
vendors has ported it to their platforms and uses it, even though it
hasn't been released yet.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).

zwicky@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com (Elizabeth Zwicky) (07/11/90)

In article <14694@know.pws.bull.com> mwolf@pws.bull.com (Mary-Anne Wolf) writes:
>I hear that Interleaf is especially good for creating structured documents
>in a particular format (e.g. repair manuals for related kinds of aircraft),
>and that they also have the beginnings of an emacs-like LISP customization
>and extension language.

Interleaf does deal OK with structured documents, although not as well
as I would like, coming from LaTeX (I want structure and layout
separately, damn it).

They have LISP, not merely the beginnings of an extension language.
They have the beginnings of a macro facility, however.

>If I remember right, they also provide an iconic
>desktop which can make the filenames on a short-filename system seem
>longer.

They provide their own, propietary, incompatible window system with
iconic desktop. It has 18 different cursors, and menus are heavily
dependent on location; it believes in file types (including no less
than three concepts equivalent to "directory") and it indicates them
via extensions.  Thus it will make the filenames on a short-filename
system seem even shorter. It believes in extensions solely, ignoring
magic numbers, which allows you to crash it several interesting ways.

Interleaf is very powerful; it is also a) slow b) unreliable c) a
resource hod d) expensive e) unwilling to work and play well with
others and f) liable to drive system administrators to distraction. It
is, in my opinion, 10% better than Frame; it is also 700% more
expensive (for a full configuration - core omits almost all useful
features). We have produced a gorgeous, 7,000+ page document with it.
We survived, which is something of a recommendation. On the other hand,
it was an excruciating experience. (We also use Frame, although we
do not have as much experience with it.)

Of the two, Frame is a less painful experience. It is missing some
features, but they are not major problems. Frame also seems to have a
better attitude. I hate "Interleaf only costs $1,000!"* *(Exclusive of
kerning, cataloging, math, input filters, output filters, graphics,
and everything else that makes us better than Frame. Adding them may
increase your price to $14,000...)

Then again, I write my long documents in LaTeX, with conditional text
done with a pre-processor I wrote. (LaTeX is capable of conditionals,
but there are some particularly sick features I need for a book I'm
working on.)

	Elizabeth

briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) (07/11/90)

>     After the number of messages describing InterLeaf, I feel compelled to
>mention Frame Maker, from Frame Technology.
>
>     Frame is an outstanding tool, far superior to InterLeaf (IMHO).  It runs
>on Sun, Apollo, HP, DEC, NeXT, and Mac platforms, and documents are COMPLETELY
>interchangeable.

Actually, so are Interleafs, prior misinformation from guessers notwithstanding.

>It [Frame] is incredibly easy to use, is cheap ($2500 for the
>complete package; get a quote from InterLeaf on the ENTIRE package, not just
>the intro-level slim TPS stuff they push), and does an excellent job with
>any number or size documents.

It is true that complete Frame is $2500, which is the cost for Core Plus TPS
Interleaf (the basic setup). However, a careful examination of the capabilities
will show that the very basic Interleaf is about functionally equivalent to
full Frame.

>     Frame really wins on "unusual" layouts, like newsletters and such.

Yes, if you are doing unusual few-pagers, it might appear more friendly at
first. See below.

>It has, hands down, the best mathematical WYSIWYG typesetter in the business.
>The integrated editor and spelling checker are much better than InterLeaf,
>and the search and replace function is unparalleled (you can do things like
>search for a particular font usage, and replace with anything, including
>a graphical object).
>
>     The InterLeaf interface is, in the opinion of many, just terrible.
>EVERYTHING is in a menu, and the menu contents change based upon mouse
>position and document state.  While InterLeaf has some fancy name for this
>and claims that it is better, recent studies (see SIGCHI, April, 1989)
>have shown this to be a less effective interface, producing greater
>cognitive loading upon the user.  There are few, if any, keyboard
>accelerators.

This is a really interesting area. Interleaf does appear less friendly at first.
However, after you have used both for a while, Frame's friendlinessseems to
be all "on the surface." It's as if Interleaf has studied how professional
typographers use the tools, and Frame has studied how desktop publishers think
they want to use the tools. The difference is important in as little as an
hour. Certainly, Frame does feel more comfortable, more "Macintosh-like" at
first. And golly gee, it really does let you search for a Helvetica lower-case
"f" if it is underlined and shadowed. But that's NOT the sort of things you
need to DO in a manuals department with deadlines to meet.

>     Frame uses a combination of dialog boxes and pull-down menus for a
>very Mac-like interface.  There are keyboard equivalents for every
>operation, letting expert touch typists do everything without touching
>the mouse.
>
>     A recent review of DTP products for the Mac refused to consider
>InterLeaf a Mac product, because its interface was so foreign that Mac users
>could not readily use it.

This is true, but the original requestor asked about unix programs. Or are we
Interleaf-bashing here? Actually, Interleaf has made a conscious choice to
make all of their platforms perform identically as Interleaf, rather than try
to fit Interleaf to the platform. They believe (probably) that Interleaf users
will primarily be using Interleaf. This may or may not be the case with you.

>The July 2, 1990 InfoWorld rated the InterLeaf
>interface "unacceptable" in terms ease of learning, and just "satisfactory"
>in ease of use.  All other tools (Frame, Pagemaker, Xpresss, and Ventura)
>were rated either good or very good in ease of use.  InfoWorld rated
>InterLeaf last of these five packages overall, while Frame came in next
>to last.

The InfoWorld review has been a laugh to people in the publishing world, be-
cause the ONLY thing it proved was the reviewer's ignorance of the difference
between a publishing system and a word processor. This opinion has been ex-
pressed to be by representatives of Interleaf, Frame resellers, and our own
systems people.

The very last part of this posting covers some of the functional differences
that make Interleaf a tool for a documentation department rather than just
another fancy page-layout program. Frame does not touch these areas.

>Admittedly, I am a very big fan of Frame.  But do not, DO NOT, consider
>purchasing InterLeaf without trying Frame first.  Call 1-800-U4FRAME to get
>a free demo copy.

I would agree. However, I would do it with an open mind, and I would do it
after using both, in my own work area, for at least a week or two. When a group
of our engineers were going through this evaluation, we (the documentation
group) recommended Interleaf, and the engineers balked at the price. So they
brought in a Frame workstation for a week. They independently concluded every-
thing I report here, and bought Interleaf.

At the same time, we in documentation let some of our illustrators play with
the Frame box. They were familiar with Claris CAD on the Mac, Interleaf, and
many other drawing programs. Of the three, they liked Claris CAD first,
Interleaf second (far back), and way way back was Frame.

>And, ask your InterLeaf sales rep why so many InterLeaf employees have quit
>to go work at Frame :-)

Maybe Frame pays better, maybe they are located in a part of the country that
is a more desirable area to live? Who knows? Is it a reason that matters to
you, the customer? Or was this poster just a rabid Frame fanatic?

Here are some of the features and concepts that are unique to Interleaf:

EFFECTIVITY: Suppose you are writing documents for two separate products, that
are really very similar except for a few differences. With a typical package,
you write up one, you copy it, and you modify the copy to fit the second
product. You wind up with two documents and two document files. With Interleaf,
you tag the differences in the original file, and specify which version of the
file you want to have print out. One set of files, two documents.

This seems pretty trivial until you have to maintain the documents. One day,
there is a change in the common portion of the products. With the traditional
package, you make the change in one set of files, and then you have to remem-
ber to make the same identical change in the other set. With Interleaf, you
make the change once, it propagates to all versions.

With one or two products, it's simple either way. I live in a department where
we maintain 300+ older versions of manuals, many of which are several years
old, many of which have varied common elements throughout, and many of which
have had many many mods over the years. Our maintenance people COULD NOT keep
up with this if the writers did not have and use effectivity.

In one case, I had to develop two manuals in parallel, where the devices were
very similar. We couldn't wait to finish one before modifying it for the second.
This was in the days before effectivity, and I estimate that I spent 30% of my
time simply making VERY VERY certain that EVERY change was correctly duplicated
in both manuals. Effectivity would have made me 30% more effective in that
situation.

ACTIVE DOCUMENTS: Interleaf has developed a method whereby you can adjust your
document to reflect the information in a database. This can be small changes
like the entries in a specification table, or it can reflect giant changes in
structure and content. Thus, your service manual could be the same file set
for two different documents, such as a field-replacable module level combined
with a detailed component-level document. Again, the benefits are similar to
those for effectivity.

Or say you are developing plans for a new venture. If the document is distri-
buted on-line, you can modify the document for the reader. A VP of finance
might get a lot of financial detail that you don't really want to distribute
to the folks in the stockroom.

Even more than the feature itself, this reveals the futurist orientation of
Interleaf as a company.

CALS: If your customers are the military (DOD) or their contractors, then your
documents MUST be deliverable in a specific mag-tape form. This form is very
specific, from writing style to content organization. Interleaf offers a CALS-
compliance package that ensures your text qualifies, then outputs the proper
tape format for you.

Eventually, CALS will require that the DOD have on-line dial-up access to YOUR
documents on YOUR computer in CALS-compliant form. Interleaf is part of the
industry consortium that is guiding CALS so that the military only asks for
what is possible.

Frame has announced that they will have some sort of CALS support in the
future.

These features above indicate that Interleaf is of a totally different mindset,
and therefore totally different orientation, than any other package on the
market.

These features are not included with the basic $2500 Interleaf, it is true.
But then, if you buy Interleaf and decide later you need them, you have an
upgrade path. If you buy Frame and decide later, you start over on a totally
new platform, with no investment to leverage from.

I'd do what this poster suggests, and look at both very carefully. But look
behind the flash and glitter, and decide which system, and which company, you
want supporting you two, three, or ten years out.

--
-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc.                (503) 627-3437         briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM

davecb@yunexus.YorkU.CA (David Collier-Brown) (07/11/90)

>In article <1990Jul9.032311.6040@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, tpf4434@DOMAIN_2.lerc.nasa.gov (Teddy Fabian) writes:
>> [InterLeaf] files are portable between platforms with some conditions..
>> (ie. how it was stored.. and what software you're using..)

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>     That doesn't sound too portable to me...

  It doesn't to me, either!  The ascii form of the files are portable across
all the platforms and readable by all current and subsequent versions. (ie,
3.0 files are readable by 4.0, but not the converse).
  The binary forms used to pose problems when moved to a byte-swapped
machine: rumor had it last year that Interleaf was going to recognize
the byte-swapped magic number and convert...

>     After the number of messages describing InterLeaf, I feel compelled to
>mention Frame Maker, from Frame Technology.
>     Frame is an outstanding tool[...]

  I have to agree, Frame is very nice.  It has quite a different interface,
and it not a bad one at all...  I learned the Interleaf context-sensitive
menu system very quickly, though, and mildly prefer it.  Admittedly, its a
tradeoff. Other people may prever the convers for valid reasons.

>     Admittedly, I am a very big fan of Frame.  But do not, DO NOT, consider
>purchasing InterLeaf without trying Frame first.  Call 1-800-U4FRAME to get
>a free demo copy.
  Get a demonstration by an expert (ie, salescritter) of each, then
get the demo software of each and try it. Then (and only then) tell the
salescritter that you're considering the other product and ask what their
product does better.  You'll be able to seperate the chaff from the grain
by then.

>     And, ask your InterLeaf sales rep why so many InterLeaf employees
>have quit to go work at Frame :-)

  Because the dimbulbs switched from selling turnkey systems to selling
user-installed software.  Much of their profit went right out the window.
And Interleaf is only sortof-easy to install... Its sysadmin-friendly, but
not something I'd hand to a secretary to put up.
  Ah marketing, how smart you are... Give away all the profit, and watch
the troops revolt.

--dave (formerly of Interleaf Canada,
	and I still like the product!) c-b
--
David Collier-Brown,  | davecb@Nexus.YorkU.CA, ...!yunexus!davecb or
72 Abitibi Ave.,      | {toronto area...}lethe!dave

In article <6543@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> briand@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Brian D Diehm) writes:
>>     Frame is an outstanding tool, far superior to InterLeaf (IMHO).  It runs
>>on Sun, Apollo, HP, DEC, NeXT, and Mac platforms, and documents are COMPLETELY
>>interchangeable.
>
>Actually, so are Interleafs, prior misinformation from guessers notwithstanding.

Interleaf's documents are *not* completely interchangeable; this is
not a guess, this is personal experience. In particular, the PC version
is half a revision behind the Sun version; you can take old Sun documents
to the PC, and you take PC documents to the new Sun version, but you can't
reverse either process. Thus, you cannot have a user on a PC passing a
document back and forth with an editor on a Sun. Furthermore, the Sun Sparc
version is not compatible with the old Sun 3 version, although the new Sun 3
version is. WPS documents cannot be read at all on Sparc TPS. (I had to
get around that one by using the (undocumented) magic numbers to determine
what files were WPS and using an (undocumented) option to Sun 3 TPS to
resave them - Interleaf was completely unhelpful about it.)

>It is true that complete Frame is $2500, which is the cost for Core Plus TPS
>Interleaf (the basic setup). However, a careful examination of the capabilities
>will show that the very basic Interleaf is about functionally equivalent to
>full Frame.

Unless you want input filters, mathematics, or books. Or kerning. Or
the ability to reshape text around pictures. One or more of those 5
features is used in *every* major document we produce.

User interface preferences are very individual; personally, I've
rarely if ever met a user-interface that I liked, but I prefer ones
that I comprehend, and Interleaf's is too unpredictable for me.
However, I have a naturally very shallow learning curve for new
interfaces. On a more objective note, standards are a Good Thing in
user interfaces; they conform to the principle of least surprise, and
they mean that slow interface learners like me don't have to start
over. Interleaf never met a standard in anything that they liked, and
their user interface is no exception. I work with Interleaf almost
every day, and am reasonably competent at it on my machine. I look
like an idiot half the time I go to help someone else, because there's
only a 50-50 chance that the menu button is where I expect it to be
(sometimes it's right, sometimes it's middle). I now set mine to match
the secretaries' default, which is middle; since my window system
believes in the right button, this is not a piece of cake to deal with...

	Elizabeth

framer@DRD.Com (Framers List) (07/12/90)

In article <3962@trantor.harris-atd.com> you write:
> >And, ask your InterLeaf sales rep why so many InterLeaf employees have quit
> >to go work at Frame :-)
>
> Maybe Frame pays better, maybe they are located in a part of the country that
> is a more desirable area to live? Who knows? Is it a reason that matters to
> you, the customer? Or was this poster just a rabid Frame fanatic?

      Or maybe they see the writing on the wall.  Every customer should be
concerned about the health of their vendors.  When talented people start
bailing out, it's time to reevaluate your investment in a company.  And,
as many people are aware, I am a very rabid Frame fan.

> CALS: If your customers are the military (DOD) or their contractors, then your
> documents MUST be deliverable in a specific mag-tape form. This form is very
> specific, from writing style to content organization. Interleaf offers a CALS-
> compliance package that ensures your text qualifies, then outputs the proper
> tape format for you.
>
> Eventually, CALS will require that the DOD have on-line dial-up access to YOUR
> documents on YOUR computer in CALS-compliant form. Interleaf is part of the
> industry consortium that is guiding CALS so that the military only asks for
> what is possible.
>
> Frame has announced that they will have some sort of CALS support in the
> future.

     Frame will support CALS, have no doubt.  Further, InterLeaf cannot deliver
any sort of CALS tools now, and even more important, their CALS product will
run $60,000!  Frame was the first company to demonstrate their ability to read
and write CALS-format tapes.  And, one of the main people directing the CALS
effort at InterLeaf left to work for Frame.  Frame will definitely support CALS.

> I'd do what this poster suggests, and look at both very carefully. But look
> behind the flash and glitter, and decide which system, and which company, you
> want supporting you two, three, or ten years out.

     Good advice.  And try this.  Get demo copies of both Frame and
InterLeaf.  Come up with a problem and call the normal support line.
See which company helps you out right away, and see which one spends
all sorts of time deciding if you are a valid customer.  Frame tech support
is outstanding, and is available via e-mail, too.

     Some of the points regarding InterLeaf are valid.  If you are just pouring
text into predefined formats, InterLeaf may be the way to go.  In particular,
if you don't have to actually use InterLeaf, but produce text with ASCII
terminals, InterLeaf may be a valid solution.  For that matter, in such
cases, ArborText Publisher is also a good choice, and its table and equation
editors are far superior to InterLeaf, and it supports TeX and LaTeX.

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (07/12/90)

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (07/13/90)

In article <4662.647633645@ics.uci.edu>, jsweet@ICS.UCI.EDU (Jerry Sweet) writes:

> If you can stand the learning curve and complicated maintenance
> required, WYSIWYG document production systems still can't beat TeX or
> LaTeX on platforms supported, heterogeneous environment support,
> price, extensibility or hackability.  You pay one way or the other,
> though: time and brainpower to deal with TeX, or $$$ for WYSIWYG.

What I would like to see is a WYSI(MOL)WYG setup with files directly
translatable into things such as TeX.  It is not important when writing
a paper at the terminal to know _exactly_ how it will look; a fair
approximation is quite enough.  I am quite familiar with TeX, and I
do write papers directly in it.  However, I consider it a weird system,
loaded with thousands of conventions, and I have been surprised too
often when I print it at the errors made.  I believe that we can get
what is asked for.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet)	{purdue,pur-ee}!l.cc!cik(UUCP)

amanda@mermaid.intercon.com (Amanda Walker) (07/13/90)

In article <4540005@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM>, wunder@hp-ses.SDE.HP.COM (Walter
Underwood) writes:
> Check it out before charging off after Frame or Interleaf.  I've tried
> both of those, and like the Publisher better.

I admit my experience is minimal (i.e., I've played with demo versions of
all three, but I haven't built large documents with anything but LaTeX),
but the only piece of Publisher that I liked was the equation editor.  It
is hot stuff.  As for the rest of it, though, I wasn't too impressed.  It's
only a little more WYSIWYG than LaTeX + a fast previewer, and it's user
interface seems almost as unintuitive as Interleaf's.  Of them all, Interleaf
struck me as the most powerful and obtuse, and Frame seemed the easiest to
learn and use.  Publisher's main strengths seemed to be in the mathematics
features.  Publisher would be great for a physics thesis, but it's user
interface could use a lot of polishing.  On the plus side (for some people),
it does support SGML import & export, as I remember.

--
Amanda Walker <amanda@intercon.com>
InterCon Systems Corporation

dave@island.uu.net (David Newman) (07/13/90)

Most of the people here are talking about word processing, and about
Frame and Interleaf.  We have taken a different approach from the
expensive "tech-doc" programs.  Island has taken a graphical approach.

We've created IslandWrite, IslandPaint and IslandDraw (SunWrite, SunPaint
and SunDraw when they were sold by Sun) for people who need to create
letters, memos, reports and newsletters which include graphics - both
vector and raster.

The programs share a common clipboard, so you can copy a diagram or an
illustration from IslandDraw, and paste it into IslandWrite; the same
goes for grabbing an IslandPaint raster and pasting it into IslandWrite.

Each program runs in a standalone mode, either under OPEN LOOK (on SunView)
or under OSF/Motif; and you can print to PostScript devices from each
program.

I've been using the programs for two years (since before Sun began shipping
them in February '89) and I've done all of my everyday word processing
in IslandWrite, and created lots of freeform and structured documents
in that time.  Our documentation department does all of its documentation
in the programs, too.

We've been shipping (and supporting) the products, which are sold
for $995 together as the Island Productivity Series, since June on Suns.
This month we began shipping OSF/Motif versions for the Apollo personal
workstation series and for the HP 9000 Series 300 workstations via
Apollo Direct.

For more information, I can be reached at ...!sun!island!dave, or
at ..!uunet!island!dave, or you can call 1-800-255-4499, or 415/491-1000.

David Newman
Marketing Manager
Island Graphics Corporation
4000 Civic Center Drive