[comp.text.desktop] Frame vs. Interleaf?

kevinc@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Kevin Crocker) (07/14/90)

Disclaimer: I haven't used either product but have watched others use
both and Interleaf looks like it does the kinds of things I want done.

We've had Frame around here for years and nobody ever used it much.
(BTW, we produce about 30 million pages of typeset material a year so I
think that this qualifies as document production.  We produce
everything from small booklets to 1000 page courses.)  Last year our
media services department opted to install Interleaf on a cluster of
SUN's and while their learning curve was several months (this is from
professional typesetters and graphic artists and graphic designers)
they have complained very little about the program.  There are some
things that it doesn't do as well as they could do manually or by using
a page layout program but on the whole they seem very pleased.

As a user of their services for the first time in five years I'm happy
with what they can do now.  My turnaround time for artwork or course
page makeups is down to a few days from months (and most of this might
be in internal mail for all I know).  For the first time I don't have
to INSIST that my mathematics for my course and papers are done by hand
and my diagrams are even coming out proerly.

Just another happy user of a service .

Kevin
--
Kevin "auric" Crocker Athabasca University
UUCP: ...!{alberta,ncc,attvcr}!atha!kevinc