[comp.text.desktop] Error when sending Pagestream's PostScript to Laserwriter

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (09/18/90)

I've run into a minor but puzzling problem when sending PostScript
files generated on my Atari ST to an Apple Laserwriter.

I'm composing pages with PageStream, writing PostScript to an
IBM-format disk, taking the disk to a print shop, reading the file
into a Macintosh SE30 with Apple File Exchange, and sending the data
across an Appletalk network with the SendPS program.

All goes well, and the pages are printed nicely, but the end of each
file causes SendPS to pop up a dialog and complain about an illegal
PostScript command that looks like this:

%%[
 * ]%%

... where the * actually is a character that looks like a rectangle.

I ran a test through a Varityper VT600 last month and got an error there,
too, printed out on a sheet.

The tails of the PostScript files look pretty much like this
(at least when they leave my ST):

( ) 187 r
(n) 375 r
(o) 375 r
(t) 208 r
(e) 333 r
(s) 291 r
showpage
% End Tile
% End Page

... followed by control-D. Is there a PostScript problem here, or am I
perhaps picking up garbage in the MS-DOS-to-Macintosh translation?
Perhaps AFX or SendPS is converting the control-D to something else.

 --
 Steve Yelvington up at the lake in Minnesota
 (moving soon to Marine on St. Croix)

henry@hourglass.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (09/18/90)

In article <A88085810@thelake.mn.org>, steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
    *  I've run into a minor but puzzling problem when sending PostScript
    *  files generated on my Atari ST to an Apple Laserwriter.

    *  I'm composing pages with PageStream, writing PostScript to an
    *  IBM-format disk, taking the disk to a print shop, reading the file
    *  into a Macintosh SE30 with Apple File Exchange, and sending the data
    *  across an Appletalk network with the SendPS program.

    *
    *  .... followed by control-D.

PostScript Files are NOT supposed to have control-D characters in them.

	........  Henry

boyd@fsucs.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (09/20/90)

In article <A88085810@thelake.mn.org>, steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) writes:
>I've run into a minor but puzzling problem when sending PostScript
>files generated on my Atari ST to an Apple Laserwriter.
>
> [.....]
>... followed by control-D. Is there a PostScript problem here, or am I
>perhaps picking up garbage in the MS-DOS-to-Macintosh translation?
>Perhaps AFX or SendPS is converting the control-D to something else.
>
> --
> Steve Yelvington up at the lake in Minnesota
> (moving soon to Marine on St. Croix)
> steve@thelake.mn.org   plains!umn-cs!thelake!steve

I have been printing ps files from Pagestream on an apple Laserwriter using
'lpr' (through a unix network) with no problems.  You may be running into
file transfer problems as you suggested.

--
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "God is a comedian playing to an