[comp.text.desktop] Ventura/PageMaker and Windows3

Neptune@cup.portal.com (Dwayne R Farley) (09/21/90)

Greetings!

Is the latest version of Ventura written specifically for Windows3,
or is it just an adaptation of the Windows2 version?  If not, does
anyone know a release date for the Win3 version.

I know PageMaker 4.0 isn't out yet and I don't care much for 3.x

Any info?

Thanks
Dwayne Farley
neptune@cup.portal.com

spage@cup.portal.com (S spage Page) (09/21/90)

The latest edition of Ventura is the *first* to run under Windows.  The
previous version of Ventura ran under GEM, Digital Research's window
environment.  You can get still get a version of VP for GEM, and other
versions of VP for OS/2 and the Mac are allegedly on the way.  All are
called "Ventura Publisher Gold series".  All have all the features of
VP Extended Edition -- the hyphenation, vertical tracking, etc.

The first looks in PC Week and InfoWorld comment that the GEM version is
faster, but the Windows version lets you run other programs.  However, VP's
support for the Clipboard, Windows Metafile, PostScript fonts, etc. is not
as good as it could be.

The consultants down the hall from me are going to install their copy of VP
Gold for Windows soon, I'll report if they have any interesting feedback.

=S Page

freak@cbnewsc.att.com (c.e.malloy..iii) (09/21/90)

In article <34101@cup.portal.com>, Neptune@cup.portal.com (Dwayne R Farley) writes:
> Is the latest version of Ventura written specifically for Windows3,
> or is it just an adaptation of the Windows2 version?  If not, does
> anyone know a release date for the Win3 version.

It is a re-written release of Ventura Publisher 2.0. Ventura has never
run under MicroSoft Windows before. It has always run under GEM. The
re-write is for Windows 3. There are in point of fact three (3) new
versions of Ventura 2.0 on the market. A new GEM Version that include
the Professional Extension and Network Package, A version for Windows
3.0 and a version for OS/2. (See additional comments below.)

> I know PageMaker 4.0 isn't out yet and I don't care much for 3.x

Aldus PageMaker 4.0 is due out in the first half of 1991. (I can't
remember where I read it, but I think that it said in the March/April
time frame.)

> Any info?

Since I own Ventura 2.0, I received an offer to upgrade in the mail. If
you own the Professional Extention (like I do) the cost to get the
latest GEM version is $80. If you don't own the Professional Extention
the cost if $195. The cost to get either the Windows 3.0 or OS/2
versions is $195 (owning the Professional Extention is not a relative
matter). Now for some good news (sort of). If you call to upgrade (it's
a toll-free number) ask if you can get BOTH the GEM and Windows
versions. I did and she said, "Last week I would have said no, but they
told us that we may now allow anyone to upgrade and get both versions."
I found this to be GREAT news. Almost everything that I use runs under
Windows. Ventura didn't. I was going to get only the Windows version,
but was apprensive since I have been using Ventura with GEM for a long
time. Now, since I am getting both. I can use the Windows version and if
I hate it, I can trash it and switch back to the GEM interface.

> Thanks

Your Welcome!

Clancy Malloy