[comp.text.desktop] Quark and Word

frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) (10/09/90)

After eagerly awaiting QuarkXPress version 3, I find myself unable to
use it. I have a large document prepared in Word 4.0 which I want to
import into XPress. However, XPress totally mangles the conversion,
changing most fonts to Helvetica, claiming that other fonts don't exist,
and generally losing all style information (it retains the style names, but
loses the leading, point size, tabs, etc.)

Quark's response (after nearly two months of phoning, since they rarely
return calls) is that since nobody else has reported the problem, it
doesn't exist. After I persisted, they said it must be (a) bad font files
or (b) bad Word files. In other words, still not their fault. (Not really
great support for $200 a year.) Yet Word has no trouble reading the files,
and XPress itself is happy with the fonts, if I create an XPress document
from scratch.

So, I'm hoping someone on the net will recognize the symptoms and offer
a suggestion. I can't believe no one else has encountered this problem.
It happens even with a two-page document. I'm using the MS-Word filter
dated Sept. 4, 1990, i.e., the latest one. The primary typefaces are
Utopia and Avenir, in various sizes and styles. Help!

--
Frank Kolnick,
Basis Computer Systems Inc.

awessels@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Allen Wessels) (10/11/90)

In article <5568@mnetor.UUCP> frank@mnetor.UUCP (Frank Kolnick) writes:

>So, I'm hoping someone on the net will recognize the symptoms and offer
>a suggestion. I can't believe no one else has encountered this problem.
>It happens even with a two-page document. I'm using the MS-Word filter
>dated Sept. 4, 1990, i.e., the latest one. The primary typefaces are
>Utopia and Avenir, in various sizes and styles. Help!

What filters does Xpress offer?  If several, try saving the Word 4 doc as
RTF (best choice unless you have complex style sheets), or one of the other
Save As format options.

(I'm always worried when they call them filters.  Makes me wonder what gets
left behind.)