[comp.text.desktop] Ventura & Ligatures

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (10/31/90)

Is there a way to utilize the fi and fl ligatures in
Ventura? The files are created in WordPerfect where
the extended ASCII characters are present, visible
on the screen, and print. However, when the WP files
are imported into Ventura, the ligatures are replaced
by boxes, and they do not print. The person who has
asked this question has talked to Ventura with no
satisfactory answer ("what is a ligature?" was one of
the responses from customer service). This is all being
done in a DOS environment.

Any and all suggestions, comments, or advice is welcome
and appreciated.

--
X-----------------------------------------------------------------------------X
X	David Baird				xdab@midway.uchicago.edu      X

v105mahs@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Peter P Donohue) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.215816.943@midway.uchicago.edu>, xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes...

>Is there a way to utilize the fi and fl ligatures in
>Ventura? The files are created in WordPerfect where
>the extended ASCII characters are present, visible
>on the screen, and print. However, when the WP files
>are imported into Ventura, the ligatures are replaced
>by boxes, and they do not print. The person who has
>asked this question has talked to Ventura with no
>satisfactory answer ("what is a ligature?" was one of
>the responses from customer service). This is all being
>done in a DOS environment.

  I had to look up in my dictionary what a ligature is before I could try
this.  Ventura supports some, such as the A-E (character 145 and 146) and
O-C (character 180 and 181), but does not support others in its normal
character sets.  One possible solution would be to check the various
Postscript fonts that are available or (if you don't have a Postscript
printer) to see if a company such as Bitstream carries a font collection
that will do.
  Another possibility would be to create the characters graphically.  This
is much more time consuming and would be a pain to size.
  Good luck.

					Pete

Peter P. Donohue - University at Buffalo, Graduate School of Management
bitnet:   V105MAHS@UBVMS                  .  "Education is a journy
internet: V105MAHS@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU   .    not a destination..."

xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) (11/01/90)

In article <43498@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v105mahs@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>In article <1990Oct30.215816.943@midway.uchicago.edu>, xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes...
>>
>>Is there a way to utilize the fi and fl ligatures in
>>Ventura? The files are created in WordPerfect where
>	[stuff deleted]
>
>  I had to look up in my dictionary what a ligature is before I could try
>this.  Ventura supports some, such as the A-E (character 145 and 146) and
>O-C (character 180 and 181), but does not support others in its normal
>character sets.  One possible solution would be to check the various
>Postscript fonts that are available or (if you don't have a Postscript
>printer) to see if a company such as Bitstream carries a font collection
>that will do.

The person asking me about this is using a postscript font, and the
ligatures _are_ present in WordPerfect, but Ventura is not, seeming,
able to display or print these ligatures.

So I guess the question boils down to "is Ventura on DOS machines
capable of displaying and printing common typographic ligatures,
especially in light of its hype as a publishing environment?"

--

BL.JPL@forsythe.stanford.edu (Jonathan Lavigne) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct31.163857.25462@midway.uchicago.edu>,
xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes:
>In article <43498@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v105mahs@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu writes:
>>In article <1990Oct30.215816.943@midway.uchicago.edu>, xdab@ellis.uchicago.edu (David Baird) writes...
>>>
>>>Is there a way to utilize the fi and fl ligatures in
>>>Ventura? The files are created in WordPerfect where
>>       [stuff deleted]
The standard Ventura character sets do not contain the fi and fl
ligatures, although the standard Adobe PostScript character set does
include these characters.  The September 1989 issue of Ventura
Professional contains an article that tells you how to substitute
the two ligatures for two characters in the Ventura international
character set.  It's a pretty involved procedure that requires you
to get the width values of the ligatures and the characters you're
substituting for and make changes to Ventura's PostScript prep file
and width table.  You've got to make these changes for each
typeface and style in which you want to use the ligatures. If you're
working with resident fonts on your printer, you need to log on to
the printer and use PostScript's "executive" mode to get the width
values.  I guess I could send a copy of the article to anyone who's
interested enough to send me a stamped, self-addressed legal size
envelope.  My mailing address is:  Research Libraries Group, 1200
Villa Street, Mountain View, CA 94041-1100.

Jonathan Lavigne                 BL.JPL@RLG.STANFORD.EDU
Research Libraries Group
Stanford University

arndt@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Paul A. Arndt) (11/09/90)

If you want automatic ligature conversion you should be using TeX and
not Ventura Publisher. TeX is the best program I have seen for this
type of work and it does all the english ligature replacements automatically
if they have been included in the TeX TFM (TeX Font Metrics) file. Granted
TeX is a batch oriented text formatter, but it provides the cleanest
and best text formatting I have seen. I don't think PageMaker will
do automatic ligature replacements either. Although, I just got some
info from Aldus on PageMaker 4.0 for the Mac (sorry about that) and
hopefully it will be available on the PC under Windows 3.0 soon.
I think it had automatic ligature correction (but I am not completely
sure) and it now has track/pair kerning, will create tables of contents,
indexes using chapter files and merging them at print time, and a host
of other features. Just hope it gets on the PC platform soon.