[comp.text.desktop] Framemaker to formatted ascii

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (11/14/90)

In article <129647@puff.encore.com> jpenovic@encore.com (Jan Penovich) writes:

>So, my question is, has anyone found a way to either save a
>formatted ascii version to a file or use a filter to put back
>troff commands?
>
>jan
>
>P.S. Hi Lar.  Remember me?

Hi, Jan.  Still wrestling with FrameMaker 1.3... tsk, tsk.  I have a call in
to the Frame sales rep regarding this type of conversion.

The rep I talked with indicates that Frame's Document Filter Pak for RTU site
license for Sun platforms will import troff files.  I don't know how good
the conversion is, as that is a difficult translation task.  I don't know why
these tools wouldn't be available for your Multimaxen or whatever.

If it is also true, as the sales rep says, that FrameMaker's MIF file format
is SGML-like and will be upgraded to SGML compliance, then there are a couple
of techniques that will become available for conversion of these files into
troff.  Image Network (the xroff people) developed some sort of public-domain
conversion tool for the U.S. government to convert SGML into xroff.  Also,
keep an eye on SoftQuad's work with SGML and sqtroff...  I'm watching the
developments in this area with great interest.  Once the SGML tools are in
place then we should be able to do a lot of nice document conversions.

BTW, if anyone has that SGML-xroff tool (developed for the NIST?) I'm trying
to track it down.

-lar

--
---------                             TIVOLI Systems, Inc.
Lar Kaufman      512-454-3301         (voice) 512-329-2455

jps@uh.msc.umn.edu (Jeff P. Sorvik) (11/14/90)

I would also be interested in the SGML-xroff tool.

jpenovic@encore.com (Jan Penovich) (11/14/90)

From article <190@tivoli.UUCP>, by lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman):
}>
}
} The rep I talked with indicates that Frame's Document Filter Pak for RTU site
} license for Sun platforms will import troff files.  I don't know how good
} the conversion is, as that is a difficult translation task.  I don't know why
} these tools wouldn't be available for your Multimaxen or whatever.

Hi Lar,

We have no problem importing troff files to frame.  (Actually,
the filter works pretty well on files that use all standard
-ms macros.) The problem we have is taking a frame document and
generating a formatted ascii file.  When you save to ascii, frame strips
out all the formats and dumps a glob of text.

}
} If it is also true, as the sales rep says, that FrameMaker's MIF file format
} is SGML-like and will be upgraded to SGML compliance, then there are a couple
} of techniques that will become available for conversion of these files into
} troff.

Have you ever tried to work on a MIF file.  Not my idea of fun.  :-)
Did the rep give you any idea about a timeframe on these techniques?

Image Network (the xroff people) developed some sort of public-domain
} conversion tool for the U.S. government to convert SGML into xroff.  Also,
} keep an eye on SoftQuad's work with SGML and sqtroff...  I'm watching the
} developments in this area with great interest.  Once the SGML tools are in
} place then we should be able to do a lot of nice document conversions.
}
} BTW, if anyone has that SGML-xroff tool (developed for the NIST?) I'm trying
} to track it down.
}

Thanks for the info Lar.  I also received your email.

jan
TTFN,    ___           *   jpenovich@gould.UUCP
      / /   /  /\   /  *   jpenovich@encore.com
     / /___/  /  \ /   *   {allegra,ucf-cs}!uflorida!gould!jpenovich
/___/ /   /  /    /    *   {uunet,sun,pur-ee}!gould!jpenovich
                       *   Encore Computer Corp., Ft. Lauderdale, FL
      NOTE: Disregard header info. Email to above paths only.