[comp.text.desktop] problems importing graphics into Ventura

v105mahs@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Peter P Donohue) (01/27/91)

   I use Ventura Publisher v2.0 with the Professional Extension on my 386.
I have found an interesting problem when loading .PCX and .IMG files.
Every once in a while, Ventura creates a vertical band on the right side
of the picture.  When I look at the files with a different program, the
band does not appear.
   Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone have any idea as to what
causes it and how to fix it?
   Any help would be appreciated.

							Pete

Peter P. Donohue - University at Buffalo, Graduate School of Management
bitnet:   V105MAHS@UBVMS                  .  "Education is a journey
internet: V105MAHS@UBVMS.CC.BUFFALO.EDU   .    not a destination..."

mir@opera.chorus.fr (Adam Mirowski) (02/05/91)

In article <56324@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, v105mahs@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Peter P Donohue) writes:
%%
%%    I use Ventura Publisher v2.0 with the Professional Extension on my 386.
%% I have found an interesting problem when loading .PCX and .IMG files.
%% Every once in a while, Ventura creates a vertical band on the right side
%% of the picture.  When I look at the files with a different program, the
%% band does not appear.
%%    Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone have any idea as to what
%% causes it and how to fix it?

I noticed this bug too, but without the professional extension. To fix it?
Try to adjust a frame around the image :-). Or convert your picture to some
other format.
--
Adam Mirowski,  mir@chorus.fr (FRANCE),  tel. +33 (1) 30-64-82-00 or 74
Chorus systemes, 6, av.Gustave Eiffel, 78182 Saint-Quentin-en-Yvelines CEDEX

babu@applix.com (Babu Tammisetti [ext 362]) (02/05/91)

>   I use Ventura Publisher v2.0 with the Professional Extension on my 386.
>I have found an interesting problem when loading .PCX and .IMG files.
>Every once in a while, Ventura creates a vertical band on the right side
>of the picture.  When I look at the files with a different program, the
>band does not appear.
>   Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anyone have any idea as to what
>causes it and how to fix it?
>   Any help would be appreciated.
>
>							Pete

  This may be a bug in the .pcx file conversion program. Normally .pcx files
are stored with run length encoding technique ( or something like that), if the
width of the picture is not multiple of 8, it will be made multiple of 8 and
the remaining bits at end are padded with 0s.  These padded bits may be
creating the vertical band in your picture.

  Earlier I wrote a routine to print .pcx files, there I used Dr. Halo
conversion program. I faced similar situation, but later I could fix this
by removing the padded bits.

-Babu