[comp.text.desktop] WP51 conversion

vdputten@ravel.inria.fr (Frits Van Der Putten) (03/05/91)

Recently I moved to INRIA and took all off my stuff with me, most of
it written in WP4.2 or WP5.1
No it appears that WP is not available here nor any conversion programs.
People here are using LATEX so I should produce new material in LATEX.

Does anyone have a program to convert WP4.2 and/or WP5.1 into either
plain ASCII or LATEX?
It will be helpfull if the oposite is also possible.

Thanks, Frits van der Putten

Rick_McCormack@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) (03/06/91)

In an article, frits van der Putten <vdputten@ravel.inria.fr> writes:

Fritz: > Does anyone have a program to convert WP4.2 and/or WP5.1
Fritz: > into either plain ASCII or LATEX? It will be helpfull if the
Fritz: > oposite is also possible.
Fritz: > Fritz: > Thanks, Frits van der Putten

Gee, Fritz, my WP 4.2 has THAT conversion at [control]-F5 "Text in-out".  I use
the "generic word processor" format to ship stuff to my Mac, but I have also
used the "ASCII" format, and it works great for writing Autoexec.bats,
configuration files, etc.
I don't have the 5.1 manual here, but I think it offers the same functions at
the same place.

In addition, WP 5.0 and earlier came with a "conversion" program to reformat a
number of file configurations into and out of WP.

| Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY    |
| Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.    |
|     CANADA     |  ________________________________________  |
|  AOL:  Rique   |  INTERACTIVE  COMPREHENSIVE  ENLIGHTENING  |
|________________|____________________________________________|

vdputten@ravel.inria.fr (Frits Van Der Putten) (03/11/91)

In article <5007@mindlink.UUCP>, Rick_McCormack@mindlink.UUCP (Rick McCormack) writes:

> Gee, Fritz, my WP 4.2 has THAT conversion at [control] F5 "Text in-out".  I use
> the "generic word processor" format to ship stuff to my Mac, but I have also
> used the "ASCII" format, and it works great for writing Autoexec.bats,
> configuration files, etc.
> I don't have the 5.1 manual here, but I think it offers the same functions at
> the same place.
>
> In addition, WP 5.0 and earlier came with a "conversion" program to reformat a
> number of file configurations into and out of WP.

> | Rick McCormack |  IMAGISTICS BUSINESS THEATRE TECHNOLOGY    |
> | Vancouver,  BC |  Information transfer - with a purpose.    |
> |     CANADA     |  ________________________________________  |
> |  AOL:  Rique   |  INTERACTIVE  COMPREHENSIVE  ENLIGHTENING  |
> |________________|____________________________________________|

Well Rick, the original problem is that I have Word Perfect documents but no
Word Perfect so I can't read them (neither use  [control] F5 ).

Thanks to many positive remarks I came to the following solution:
(already send in alt.sources)

Piet van Oostrum says they have a wp2latex converter in their
archives (University of Utrecht).
Here is what I found thanks to many useful hints:

From lut.fi by anonymous ftp wp2latex.lzh
from suphys.physics.su.oz.au wp2latex sources in C and Pascal (including
makefile and .doc).
I tried the latter one and it is working well on wp51 documents!
Some features of wp are not converted such as:
- margin settings
- newspaper style columns
- line spacing
- top and bottom margins