[comp.text.desktop] Quick- FRAME question

mwooh@citib.com (03/14/91)

I am just learning FrameMaker and had a quick question:
When you pull down a menu such as File, you get a list of menu choices on the
left and on the right there are symbols such as:

			Generate...         !fg

What do those symbols on the right (!fg) mean?

Thanks

-M

hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Hall) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar13.161448.12935@citib.com> mwooh@citib.com writes:
>I am just learning FrameMaker and had a quick question:
>When you pull down a menu such as File, you get a list of menu choices on the
>left and on the right there are symbols such as:
>
>			Generate...         !fg
>
>What do those symbols on the right (!fg) mean?

The symbols on the right are the keyboard (ie non-menu) equivalents. The "!"
refers to ESCAPE, so "ESCAPE f g" does the same as choosing that menu item.

This may also clear up some confusion from a recent poster who complained that
you are *forced* to wade through menus in FrameMaker. On the contrary, that is
what I like about FM; a relatively intuitive menu system for learning and
for infrequent commands, but keyboard equivalents for *everything*. You can
also define keyboard macros that can combine long series of commands into a
single keystroke.

I have no connection with Frame except as a satisfied user.

					- Marty Hall
hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu, hall%aplcen@jhunix.bitnet, ..uunet!aplcen!hall
Artificial Intelligence Lab, AAI Corp, PO Box 126, Hunt Valley, MD 21030

(setf (need-p 'disclaimer) NIL)

steves@mcrware.UUCP (Steve Simpson) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar13.161448.12935@citib.com> mwooh@citib.com writes:
>I am just learning FrameMaker and had a quick question:
>When you pull down a menu such as File, you get a list of menu choices on the
>left and on the right there are symbols such as:
>
>			Generate...         !fg
>
>What do those symbols on the right (!fg) mean?

The !s are abbrevations for <esc> or Escape key.  By typing <esc> f g, in your
example above, magical things happen.  I often live by these keyboard shortcuts.

In your FrameMaker Reference Manual, Appendix A lists Frame's keyboard shortcuts.
As you'll see, there are ! shortcuts, meta shortcuts, Control...... you get the idea.
You can can also create your own macros, which I find most helpful.

Hope this helps.

"Homer" Simpson, dubbed "Microware's Friar of Frame."
"Remember...As fas as anyone knows,
we're a nice, normal family."
Disclaimer: My words, not theirs.

m1alm00@fed.frb.gov (Audrey Lee McVean) (03/16/91)

Instead of using a mouse you may choose to use keyboard commands.  A
keyboard shortcut for each menu command appears in the menu, to the right
of the command (i.e., Grid     !vg). The "!" in the shortcuts stands for
the Esc key.  To use one of these keyboard shortcuts, press thekeys one at
a time.  The shortcuts are case-sensitive; that is, a lower case letter
in uppercase.  If the shortcut contains uppercase, you must press Shift
when you press the letter key.

If the keyboard short doesn't seem to work, make sure the Caps Lock key
is off and the pointer is in the window where you want to perform the
command.

I took the liberty of using FrameMaker's words from their "Using FrameMaker"
manual.  I certainly hope this answers your question (and wasn't too lengthy.

Audrey McVean
m1alm00@fed.frb.gov

crocker@motcid.UUCP (Ronald T. Crocker) (03/18/91)

How can I set up numbering for figures to be "level1 section hyphen
figure number" (e.g. I.3 for the third figure in section I (1))?

Thanks!
--
Ron Crocker
Motorola Radio-Telephone Systems Group, Cellular Infrastructure Group

kremer@cs.utwente.nl (Harro Kremer) (03/19/91)

A quick answer:
	!fg means <esc>fg.
This is a keyboard shortcut so you don't have to go through the menu to
perform the command.
the ! is really the command prefix and is generally set to <esc>.

In our $FMHOME/.fminit2.0 a file called 'fm_commands.h' exist. It contains all default keyboard shortcuts FrameMaker 2.1X uses.

    ___             Harro Kremer                      <kremer@cs.utwente.nl>
|  \___/          | Univ. of Twente,  Dept. Computer Science,     TIOS-group
|___     __   ___ | P.O. Box 217,     NL-7500 AE  Enschede,  The Netherlands
|_________________| the world would run a lot smoother.