[comp.text.desktop] End of a "happy" relationship

stevez@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (steven.a.zubatkin) (04/12/91)

Well, netters, it seems that for myself and a select few others, the
end of an era is coming.  My department is moving towards
"standardizing" all software packages and management has asked me to
"justify" the continued existence of Documenters Workbench (DWB).
Since we have just invested in new 386SX PCs, he says what about using
PC packages.  After 5 long years, my marriage may "end in divorce".

However, the relationship has been a rocky one, obscure bugs ("Now WHY
won't this work?"), no WYSIWYG, can't be used by non-UNIX people,
etc.  Sigh . . . .

Anyway, I'm a relative neophyte when it comes to PC packages.  My
investigation for a replacement for DWB has crossed paths with MS WORD for
Windows (concered about features, speed with 16MHz machine), Ami
(ditto), Ventura Publisher (REAL hardware concerns, no WP features),
and Pagemaker (know nothing).

Can you folks help in my search?  IS there a PC replacement (or, near
replacement) for DWB?  A near replacement might be acceptable if, for
example, I us package A 90% of the time and use package B the other
10%.  Note that I use pretty standard fonts on my HP Series II, tbl
alot, lists alot, numbered headings alot, xcip (the pic drawing
program) occasionally, and grap occasionally.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve Zubatkin
Morristown, NJ

jwi@cbnewsj.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr12.135248.9664@cbfsb.att.com> stevez@cbnewsb.cb.att.com (steven.a.zubatkin) writes:

> Can you folks help in my search?  IS there a PC replacement (or, near
> replacement) for DWB?  A near replacement might be acceptable if, for
> example, I us package A 90% of the time and use package B the other
> 10%.  Note that I use pretty standard fonts on my HP Series II, tbl
> alot, lists alot, numbered headings alot, xcip (the pic drawing
> program) occasionally, and grap occasionally.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Steve Zubatkin
> Morristown, NJ

WordPerfect 5.1 is the closest that I have seen to DWB in capabilities.
The major difference is this:

	troff 	execution time formatter

	WP5.1	source time formatter

	other	check-off boxes

In short, if the designer of a check-off box type program like Ventura,
W4W, AMI PRO, etc., didn't think of the options you need, you are out of
luck.  With troff, and to a lesser extent, WP51, you are actually executing
rather than checking-off boxes.  There are things that you can do in troff
that just can't be done in W4W, Ventura, or AMI PRO -- but almost all can
be done in WP51.

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"No, no: the purpose of language
	is to cast spells on other people ..."