[comp.text.desktop] Opinions about LetraSet's DesignStudio

graham@convex.com (Marv Graham) (04/16/91)

I am about to buy a page layout program.  Most of the reviews omit Design Studio,
yet - from what I can tell from the sales literature I have seen - it should be
good alternative to Quark and/or PageMaker.  Opinions?

Marv Graham; Convex Computer Corp.  {uunet,sun,uiucdcs,allegra}!convex!graham
					graham@mozart.convex.com

diana@diana.ARCO.COM (Diana Sparks) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.202404.834@convex.com>, graham@convex.com (Marv Graham)
writes:
> I am about to buy a page layout program....reviews omit Design Studio,
> yet - .................. - it should be good alternative to Quark
> and/or PageMaker.  Opinions?

LetraSet's DesignStudio is probably the *easiest* PC/Mac DTP
program on the market to learn.  I know one DTP agency that
uses it for all their work.  I don't believe it would be
well-suited for really long documents, tho.  I sat down and
was using it in just a few minutes.  You create 'boxes' on
the page for both text and graphics.  It's easy to set how
you want the text wrap to go, also (snaking; or magazine style
where the article starts on one page and finishes on another
page further back).  If you want to produce short docs with
graphics, it's a good bet.

And BTW, if you have an Egghead Software in your area, they
will, many times, let you 'try before you buy' for 30 days.
That's the only way to go, as far as I'm concerned.

If you want info on PageMaker e-mail me. That's what I am using,
among others, because I do really long docs.

Good luck.

--
<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>><>>>>>>>>>><<<<<
<><>  Diana Sparks-->>                 diana@er.arco.com <><><

lenh@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Len Humbird) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr16.202935.14796@Arco.COM> diana@diana.ARCO.COM (Diana Sparks) writes:
>In article <1991Apr15.202404.834@convex.com>, graham@convex.com (Marv Graham)
>writes:
>> I am about to buy a page layout program....reviews omit Design Studio,
>> yet - .................. - it should be good alternative to Quark
>> and/or PageMaker.  Opinions?
>
>LetraSet's DesignStudio is probably the *easiest* PC/Mac DTP
>program on the market to learn.

Agreed.

>I don't believe it would be
>well-suited for really long documents, tho.  I sat down and
>was using it in just a few minutes.  You create 'boxes' on
>the page for both text and graphics.  It's easy to set how
>you want the text wrap to go, also (snaking; or magazine style
>where the article starts on one page and finishes on another
>page further back).  If you want to produce short docs with
>graphics, it's a good bet.

Disagreed. Our publishing department has been using Ready-Set-Go (and
soon to upgrade to Design Studio) Since 1987 when we bought our Macs. It
was chosen for its ability to handle long documents, as well as its ease
of use.

Once you have drawn the text blocks for a single page (and connected them
with the "linker" tool), you can duplicate that page n times. All
subsequent pages are linked as they should be. Once that's done, you can
add or modify any page to suit, then pour in the text or type it in as
you go (no need for PM's story editor; you see the text flow as you go).

>If you want info on PageMaker e-mail me. That's what I am using,
>among others, because I do really long docs.

Likewise, I use RSG/DS for really long docs.

--
Len Humbird          | internet:  lenh@isc-br.com       | Phone:  509 927-5600
Technical  Writer    | uunet:     uucp!isc-br!lenh      | by land: Box TAF-C8

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/21/91)

lenh@isc-br.ISC-BR.COM (Len Humbird) writes:

> In article <1991Apr16.202935.14796@Arco.COM> diana@diana.ARCO.COM (Diana Spar
> >In article <1991Apr15.202404.834@convex.com>, graham@convex.com (Marv Graham
> >writes:
> >> I am about to buy a page layout program....reviews omit Design Studio,
> >> yet - .................. - it should be good alternative to Quark
> >> and/or PageMaker.  Opinions?
> >
> >LetraSet's DesignStudio is probably the *easiest* PC/Mac DTP
> >program on the market to learn.
>
> Agreed.

Disagreed.

As a computer-based designer and an output service bureau technician I have
a few opinions of LetraStudio that directly contradict what I've been
hearing here. Ultimately, the best thing is always to try to talk to people
who do the same kind of work that you do and see what they use and -- most
importantly -- ask them what limitations they run into. Sometimes people get
into a setup and stay there because it is comfortable, despite the more
recent arrival of progs that could solve their problems.

Another thing to consider...
If you will be running your work on an imagesetter befoer going to press,
check with your output service bureau or Lino operator. They deal woioth
people everyday who use all varieties of page layout progs and can lend some
useful advice concerning what will suit your purposes. Good relations with
your output service bureau can be worth it's weight in gold.

  asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca         The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC
                   Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy - NeXT user
   Human beings are a great disappointment to me, and it doesn't help one
                       bit that I am one  --SF
                   Fingers Down The Throat Of Love