[comp.text.desktop] UNIX desktop pub.

brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) (04/18/91)

I would like to get some info on Framemaker (is that the right
name?) and Interleaf, or any other similar products for
UNIX environments (say SUN sparc). I would like to know
how much it costs for single-user as well as
multi-user license.

 I would also like an evaluation of such systems.

 please email responses to
 att.com!enb3b2!brr

 thanks

  -brr

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/18/91)

brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:

> I would like to get some info on Framemaker (is that the right
> name?) and Interleaf, or any other similar products for
> UNIX environments (say SUN sparc). I would like to know
> how much it costs for single-user as well as
> multi-user license.

Don't forget to look into NeXT-based publishing. Framemaker runs quite
efficiently on it.

  asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca         The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC
                   Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy - NeXT user
   Human beings are a great disappointment to me, and it doesn't help one
                       bit that I am one  --SF
                   Fingers Down The Throat Of Love

hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Hall) (04/18/91)

In article <2325@abcom.ATT.COM> brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:

>I would like to get some info on Framemaker (is that the right
>name?) and Interleaf, or any other similar products for
>UNIX environments (say SUN sparc). I would like to know
>how much it costs for single-user as well as
>multi-user license.

Frame themselves can give basic info on FrameMaker. Send email to
"comments@frame.com". For comparisons to other products, you could try
will reflect to everyone on the list. If you also want to subscribe to
the list, send to "framers-request@drd.com" (not to "framers" or you may
need a flame-proof mbox :-). Framers is not entirely unbiased, of course,
as they are mostly Frame users, but there are some Interleaf users
(and ex-users) also.

					- Marty Hall
hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu, hall%aplcen@jhunix.bitnet, ..uunet!aplcen!hall
Artificial Intelligence Lab, AAI Corp, PO Box 126, Hunt Valley, MD 21030

(setf (need-p 'disclaimer) NIL)

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (04/19/91)

In article <JXkk12w164w@questor.wimsey.bc.ca> asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) writes:
>brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:
>

>> I would like to get some info on Framemaker (is that the right
>> name?) and Interleaf, or any other similar products for
>> UNIX environments (say SUN sparc). I would like to know
>> how much it costs for single-user as well as
>> multi-user license.
>>

>Don't forget to look into NeXT-based publishing. Framemaker runs quite
>efficiently on it.

Also, Frame costs $995 retail, $495 edu for the NeXT. If you get it for
the Sun, you have to pay over $1000 per YEAR for the license! Not good.

--
MikeC
Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland

mark@drd.com (Mark Lawrence) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.144145.1820@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu> hall@aplcen (Marty Hall) writes:
>Frame themselves can give basic info on FrameMaker. Send email to
>"comments@frame.com". For comparisons to other products, you could try
>will reflect to everyone on the list. If you also want to subscribe to
>the list, send to "framers-request@drd.com" (not to "framers" or you may
>need a flame-proof mbox :-). Framers is not entirely unbiased, of course,
>as they are mostly Frame users, but there are some Interleaf users
>(and ex-users) also.

I already responded to Rao's request for info.  I (I'm framers-request in
an alternate life) keep a file around (somewhat dated, but still, ya get
what ya pay for ...) that contains these kinds of comparisons.  You can
respond to this article ('r' key for all you [t]rn users) if you like.
--
mark@drd.com
mark@jnoc.go.jp  $B!J%^!<%/!&%i%l%s%9!K(B  Nihil novum sub solem

graham@june.cs.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.173625.16895@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
[request for comparison of FrameMaker and Interleaf. Follow-up message
 urging use of NeXT.]

>Also, Frame costs $995 retail, $495 edu for the NeXT. If you get it for
>the Sun, you have to pay over $1000 per YEAR for the license! Not good.

Amazing. And I just paid $100 for my educational FrameMaker license for
a SPARCstation. Just amaaaaazing.

Also, bozo, try to remember that the original post may have been from
someone who ALREADY HAS A SUN NETWORK. No, they don't want to investigate
a NeXT. They want to use what they've already got, thank you.

(Computer brand fanatics really piss me off.)
--

Steve Graham
graham@isis.ee.washington.edu

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/21/91)

> someone who ALREADY HAS A SUN NETWORK. No, they don't want to investigate
> a NeXT. They want to use what they've already got, thank you.
>
> (Computer brand fanatics really piss me off.)
> --
>
> Steve Graham
> graham@isis.ee.washington.edu
> (206) 543-8115

Look, smart arse, there is no need to stick your head up your own arse here.
In your own message you state that the original posting "may have been from
someone who..." Excuse me ALL TO HELL for trying to be helpful. If you had
said that you were definitely lookinf for Sun-specific suggestions, I
wouldn't have said anything.

Noone is being a "Computer brand fanatic"--the NeXT is undeniably a strong
platform for computer design and Frame is avaiable for it.

I hate paranoid computer schnoobs who want everyone to read their tiny
little minds.

zvr@ntua.gr (Alexios Zavras) (04/21/91)

In article <2325@abcom.ATT.COM>, brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) writes:
> I would like to get some info on Framemaker (is that the right
> name?) and Interleaf, or any other similar products for
> UNIX environments (say SUN sparc). I would like to know
> how much it costs for single-user as well as
> multi-user license.
>  I would also like an evaluation of such systems.

    On the same matter, I've come across a ``demo'' version
of framemaker (in which the SAVE command is disabled -- it
may be crippled in other ways, too).  It's binaries for sun4
and X11.
    Could someone inform me how to check which version of Framemaker
is this demo for ?  (All quoted text is from around 1988 or so).
    Does a newer version of this demo exist ?
    Does anything similar exist for Interleaf ?

-- zvr --
    | H eytyxia den exei enoxes |	zvr@ntua.gr
    +-----------------------zvr-+	zvr@theseas.ntua.gr
Somebody said it couldn't be done  /  But he with a chuckle replied,
Maybe it couldn't, but he would be one  /  Who never said no till he tried.
So he buckled right in  /  With a brace and a grin
                                       And if he was worried, he hid it,
He started to sing  /  As he tackled the thing
                                       That couldn't be done
                                       And he did it.