[comp.text.desktop] DTP books

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (10/28/87)

[Moderator's note: this was an answer I wrote to a piece of private mail.
 After finishing it, I realised that there was a fair amount of information
 of use to everyone, so I'm posting the reply here as well -- chuq]

> I am co-founder of a support group. I made the mistake of showing them
> what my Mac can do and now I have been given the job of producing
> flyers and a newsletter.  Could you recommend books which might help me
> in producing the above? I can get some ideas from looking over samples
> (especially newsletters), but I would prefer to have some method in my
> approach.  Any "How To Design A Great Flyer" books out there for people
> with more inclination than native talent?

This is actually a complicated question, I'm sorry if I go into more
detail than you ever care to know...

Graphic design is in many ways a black art. You look at what other
folks are doing, and if you like it, you acquire it as a new skill.
While there are some formal areas you can play with, a lot of it is practice,
practice, practice and integrating what you see with what you like.

First, become an active reader. Don't just swish through magazines,
look at every page, especially the ads. See what makes an ad work, what
makes an ad not work for you. Look at the colors, the styles, placement
of things on the pages. Keep a notebook, write down things that strike
you as particularly interesting. Take scissors and cut out things you
like, glue them into scrapbooks (yes, I'm serious...). Last I counted,
Laurie and subscribed to over 30 magazines, from Time and Forbes to
Architectural Digest, Bird Talk and MacWorld.

If you don't, read Publish! (from the Macworld folks). Their page
makeover sections are fascinating. They take nice things and turn them
into good things, with hints that you probably wouldn't catch on to otherwise.

I haven't found a good Graphics Design magazine, yet, although there
are a number of them out for the Graphics Design industry (the best
I've found is "Print" at $50/year a bit steep, but fascinating -- I
mean, how do you grab the eye of the folks who's JOB it is to grab eyes?)

On to books. I'm going to split this into three subgroups: Typography,
layout fundamentals, and design fundamentals.

Typography: The guts:

You need one of two books: The Chicago Manual of Style or (my
preference) Words into Type (Prentice Hall). This is your Style Bible.
You wouldn't believe the number of things you never knew about putting
together in a consistent and proper style until you look at this book,
which is 500 pages of small type. Do you know offhand, for instance,
whether the question mark goes inside or outside a terminating quote,
and what the exceptions to that rule are? Or appropriate abbreviations
for things? Typesetting marks? the proper use of em and en dashes?

Neither do I. This book does, though, and it's nice to have something
to reference when you aren't sure. You'll find that every author has
some grammatical quirk, and if you don't pull them all into a single
style, you come off looking bad. Most readers won't know why, but they
won't be as comfortable reading you -- its a very subtle point of amateurism.

And never forget your Strunk and White. I go through about a copy a
year, just refreshing myself. And a good dictionary (I have two at work
and three at home, an American Heritage, a Websters, and an Oxford
English Dictionary (which you can get for $25 by joining Book of the
Month Club, and well worth it...). A Thesaurus. Bartlett's Quotations.
finally, Law and the Writer (Writer's Digest Books) for their
discussions of, among other things, Copyright and Libel issues.

That's to me the minimun set to get through the grunt details of
getting the writing publishable. You'll find others as you get into it
that you also use that come in handy. Among our collection (which is
more extensive than I expect most people are willing to go, but Laurie
and I are both writers and book freaks) are such works as: PDR (The
physicians desk reference -- Hunter Thompson isn't the only person who
can use this one...); German, French, Latin and Spanish dictionaries;
Plotnick's The Element's of Editing; Gross' Editor's on Editing; A
World Almanac; A dictionary of Antonyms, Synonyms and Homonyms;
Theodore Bernstein's "Miss ThistleBottoms HObgoblins" (Simon and
Schuster), in which the premier practical linguist of the country tells
you why you can ignore your English teacher, and when you can do it
safely; Durant's The Age of Civilizations (also from BOMC -- yes, we
have two memberships...); The Columbia history of the world; Gray's Anatomy.

That's about half the primary bookshelf for reference books. A lot of
our stuff is esoteric (how about an Atlas of famous revolutions? A
reference guide to renaissance English fashion? The CRC guide to
Chemistry and Physics?). You can buy yourself into the poor house if
you really get into it, but as you get more serious about reference
books and find more and more useful ones, you won't mind. And here's a
good habit to learn: keep a close eye on the bargain tables. Lots of
this stuff goes out of print and gets remaindered, and you can get it
cheap. A new CRC is $50. A year old one is about $10, and they don't
chnage much from year to year. Lots of really strange books get in the
remainder tables, and many of them can be useful when you leave expect it.

Enough. on to layout fundamentals.

I'm only (gasp) going to recommend one book: "A Desktop Publishers
Guide to Pasteup" by Tony Middleton (Plusware books, ISBN
0-942005-00-7). There are lots of "intro to desktop publishing" books,
but this is the only one that goes into all the things that "desktop
publishing" doesn't do for you. It explains what a waxing machine does,
or why you don't get arrested for stripping a photo. It tells you what
tools you need, how to integrate them with your computer, and how to do
everything the computer won't. It's the ONLY DTP book that sits on my
computer desk (as opposed to the bookshelf across the room, as opposed
to the library down the hall, as opposed ...) -- That's the best
recommendation I can give it.

Finally, what you really care about. Design fundamentals.

Still, in many ways, the weakest part of the bunch. I've got a few
books, but nothing I really think tells it all. There are some books I
haven't bought yet that I"m looking at, but they're all pretty
expensive because when you get away from the "Gee, whizz, isn't DTP
fun!" books, you're into stuff that professional designers buy, and
they pay more than computer folks do for books (ack).

A few hints on your search for Design books. Go to the local university
(maybe a college, but don't count on it) and look at their catalog. See
if they have graphic design or layout classes in the arts or English or
Journalism schools. If so, track down their textbooks and look at them.

Also browse through as many of the art stores as you can find. Many
have bookshelves that carry stuff for artists and designers. A lot of
it will be useless or make no sense, but some of it may help. You won't
find what you're looking for in a normal bookstore.

Some specifics: All of these have strengths and weaknesses -- look at
them and see if they fit your needs.

Macintosh Desktop Typography & Macintosh Desktop Design (John Baxter,
The Baxter Group). The first two books in a three book series on
graphic design on the mac. Incomplete without the third book, but an
interesting start with a slant towards electronic processing --
soemthing missing in traditional books.

Fundamentals of Layout (F.H. wills, Dover Press, 0-486-21279-3). A
fairly simple layout book, covers grids, balance, and the basics.
Probably the best for a pure novice.

Graphics Handbook (Howard Munce, North Light Press, 0-89134-049-1).
Combination hint/tip, memoir, and practical application by one of the
senior men in the industry. A bit haphazard but fun to browse for ideas.

How to do Leaflets, Newsletters and Newsletters (Nancy Brigham,
Hastings House,  8038-3062-9). Brigam works for the AFL-CIO teaching
Union Locals how to do leaflets, newsletters, and other publishing.
This is a no-nonsense guide to putting out things that don't embarass
you. If you can get around the pro-labor bias (I gave up counting the
times she reminded folks to find a labor shop, where the quality is
guaranteed, and making sure you put the labor signet on the newletter
so your borthers will know) there's a lot of solid information.

Anyway, hope this helps.

chuq
Submissions to: desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths: {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

will@uunet.UU.NET (11/11/87)

> On to books. I'm going to split this into three subgroups: Typography,
> layout fundamentals, and design fundamentals.

(nit: Typography generally refers to the study of typefaces and their
presentation, not to the contents of style manuals.) [chuq: oops]

> Finally, what you really care about. Design fundamentals.

There are two books that I would add to your list as ESSENTIAL reading:
  o Publications Design, by Roy Paul Nelson (there's a hyphen somewhere
    in his name I think).
  o On Advertizing, by Ogilvy (of Ogilvy and Mather fame).

Neither are "expensive" (they cost less than computer science texts)
and On Advertizing is in paperback.

Publications Design is much the strongest of the many books I've ever
read.  It is full, not only of common sense about design, but also,
of explanations and resumes of research into why some designs are
more effective than others (typography examples: why copy set in all
upper-case is harder to read, why serif typefaces are easier to
ead for multi-line copy, how the maximum length of typeset line
varies with the size of the type; design examples: the importance
of and proper use of whitespace, the placement of headlines, copy,
and illustrations).  A "bible" for design of publications of all
types (magazines, newspapers, newsletters, manuals, etc.).

On Advertizing talks more directly (of course) about advertizing and
the communication of ideas in a limited space format (one or two pages
usually).  Ogilvy being a copy-writer, he talks more about how to
write your ideas as well as how to present them visually.  Full of
interesting (and instructive) anecdotes.

Furthermore, both books are themselves excellent examples of good design
and of good writing -- the perfect marriage.

As you say, search out good examples, and see why they work.  Of
course there is a bootstrapping problem: if I don't know what works
how do I pick the good ones?  I suggest an experiment for those
interested: read Publications Design for design information and
On Advertizing for the writing.  But do this with a set of Apple
Computer's manuals, advertizing and product literature.  Go back and
forth the three.  Look and compare - see where things mesh and
where they differ.  I think you will find the Apple Macintosh manuals,
advertizing, and product literature are terrific examples of good
style and good writing in the presentation of technical materials.

Apple publications are well-grounded in the foundations of effective
design (design that communicates as well as pleases) yet highly original,
and stretches some of the "rules" (type-size to column width for
example).  In fact, the Apple manuals practically look like
the designers had Publications Design by their sides -- the result:
a clean, consistent and elegant overall design, top-quality use of
whitespace, perfect blend of typefaces (the variety restricted to
important variations in the text), use of color, bold, and headlines
that reinforce the different points to be made without clutter and
confusion, readable typefaces, column widths in good proportion to
the size of type (a frequent major failing in LaserWriter output).
And they are very well written and illustrated.

	Will Neuhauser
	will@chorus.fr				(Internet)
Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

cc_is@uunet.UU.NET (11/16/87)

Thanks for the suggestions about DTP books. Do you have any suggestions
about books on PageMaker on the Mac, suitable for a very bright secretary
who has been pressed into using it?
Submissions to:   desktop%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop
Administrivia to: desktop-request%plaid@sun.com -OR- sun!plaid!desktop-request
Paths:  {ihnp4,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,ucbvax}!sun
---
Chuq "Fixed in 4.0" Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM	Delphi: CHUQ

ma9mgg@gdt.bath.ac.uk (M G Gidley) (04/20/91)

Could someone please recommend a good book that covers desktop publishing.
Not just dtp for one particular computer/package but a general coverage of
the topic and at what state it currently is at.

Also, does anyone know a decent book about printing methods (ie the different
process - litho etc, screening photos). I have the constant problems of
contacting printers and them blinding me with jargon so I'd like to find
out more rather than claim ignorance !

Thanks.

ma9mgg@uk.ac.bath.gdt

steve@thelake.mn.org (Steve Yelvington) (04/22/91)

[In article <1991Apr20.163349.14280@gdt.bath.ac.uk>,
     ma9mgg@gdt.bath.ac.uk (M G Gidley) writes ... ]

> Also, does anyone know a decent book about printing methods (ie the different
> process - litho etc, screening photos). I have the constant problems of
> contacting printers and them blinding me with jargon so I'd like to find
> out more rather than claim ignorance !

I'm not sure what books might be available in the U.K., but here are
some definitions that you might find helpful. Feel free to ask for more;
it's a far more appropriate use of the net than the flame wars you see in
most newsgroups.

Lithography: Literally, ``stone printing.'' Traditional lithography (still
used by many artists) employs a stone surface onto which an image is drawn
using a greasy crayon. The stone surface then is dampened. The moisture
won't stick to the greasy image, but it coats the stone. An ink roller
then is applied to the moistened stone. The oily ink won't adhere to the
damp areas, but sticks nicely to the image area. You then press a piece of
paper over the stone, and the image is transferred to the paper. Modern
commercial lithography uses a flexible aluminum plate in place of the
stone, and a photosensitive coating in place of the greasy crayon. The
coating is exposed to light through a photographic negative. Unexposed
areas then are removed in a developing process. The resulting plate then
is mounted on a rotary press.

Offset: Actually, ``offset lithography.'' Instead of letting the paper
come into direct contact with the printing plate, the image is ``offset''
first onto a rubber roller or ``blanket'' and then transferred to the
paper. By avoiding direct contact between the rough surface of the paper
and the printing plate, abrasion is reduced. Also, since the rubber is
slightly flexible, it can deposit the ink onto the paper more evenly.
Most modern lithography is offset.

Letterpress: The traditional Gutenberg method of printing whereby a raised
surface is inked and pressed into the paper. Letterpress printing from
phototype (or laser type) requires that an engraving be made.

Gravure: This is sort of a mirror image of letterpress. The inked areas
actually are engraved into a smooth surface, usually copper. Ink flows
onto the surface, then is scraped off (except in the depressed channels).
The paper then is placed into contact with the plate. Gravure (called
rotogravure if it's a rotary press) is quite expensive, but yields high
quality over extended press runs.

Screening photos: By nature, photographs are ``continuous tone'' images
(at least at a macro level). They're a mixture of grays. Since printing
deals with only binary states -- there's either ink there, or there isn't
-- the grays have to be simulated by breaking the image into dots whose
sizes are in proportion to the density of the original image. A screened
photo is often referred to as a ``halftone.'' Traditionally, halftones
have been created using photo-optical techniques, but now you can produce
them digitally by scanning the image into a computer and using appropriate
software.

 ----
 Steve Yelvington, Marine on St. Croix, Minnesota, USA / steve@thelake.mn.org

diana@diana.ARCO.COM (Diana Sparks) (04/23/91)

Gidley) writes:

> Also, does anyone know a decent book about printing methods (ie the
> different
> process - litho etc, screening photos). I have the constant problems of
> contacting printers and them blinding me with jargon so I'd like to find
> out more rather than claim ignorance !

One resource I have found helpful (but does not particularly cover
computer-related work) to get a thorough overview of the printing
business, per se, is:

		"Getting It Printed -
		How to Work with Printers and Graphic Arts
			Services to Assure Quality, Stay on
			Schedule, and Control Costs"
					by Mark Beach, Steve Shepro,
					and Ken Russon

It comes in paperback (large size) and cost me about $22.  This book
covers everthing from job planning to ink types, paper, and an
overview of printing methods.  They also tell you about some of
the financial stuff involved in getting quotes, etc.

It sure solved my 'jargon' problem.  Now when the printer says
my document has 'hickies' I don't have to say "What do you mean
by that!", I know the press was dirty and it caused spots in the
dark, inked areas!

So, you might try it.

--
$ banner