[comp.text.desktop] Greyscale images on Postscript devices

720323w@aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Bill Wilder) (05/16/91)

I'm currently printing (Ventura Publisher - Windows) greyscale images
on a 300 DPI Posctscript printer. This is fine for preview purposes.
For final printing we send the Postscript text to an external
1200 DPI typesetter and we let the printer create halftones using
whatever techniques they have. Final results are good.

My question is how would the output look if the greyscale images
were done directly by the Postscript typesetter? My scanner can
do 300DPI with 16 grey levels so I recognize that an upgrade might
be required at that end.

Thanks very much for any comments.

--
Bill Wilder
Computer Systems Manager

bradlee@cg-atla.UUCP (Rob Bradlee) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.124711.1384@aucs.AcadiaU.ca> 720323w@aucs.acadiau.ca (Bill Wilder) writes:

>My question is how would the output look if the greyscale images
>were done directly by the Postscript typesetter? My scanner can
>do 300DPI with 16 grey levels so I recognize that an upgrade might
>be required at that end.

Sounds like your output should look fine if you went straight to the
typesetter.  Why not send one page as a sample and see what the results
look like?  It should save you money not to have the printer stripping
things together by hand (or else maybe they're already doing just what
you suggest!).     One gotcha might be that the printer is cleaning
up the images at scan time (adjusting gray curve, etc.) which you might
not have the software to do.   But give it a try and let us know what
happens.

--
Rob Bradlee  w:(508)-658-5600 X5153  h:(617)-944-5595
AGFA Compugraphic Division.    ...!{decvax,samsung}!cg-atla!bradlee

gregd@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Greg Degi) (05/20/91)

> My question is how would the output look if the greyscale images
> were done directly by the Postscript typesetter? My scanner can
> do 300DPI with 16 grey levels so I recognize that an upgrade might
> be required at that end.

You won't be happy with a 4bit (16 level) greyscale image rendered on
a typesetter.  Because of the large change in density (darkness) as a
level changes by one count, pictures (particularly large areas of nearly
the same density like faces) start to look like topographic maps. This
"feature" is called contouring.  For good results you need at least 64
levels of grey but in practice the next availible size is 256 levels.
300 dpi is plenty for having a typesetter generate the half-tone from
greyscale information.  You only really need about 1.4 times the screen
size you are using (120 screen is pretty fine) so 300dpi is more than
enough.

Greg Degi
Hewlett Packard