[comp.text.desktop] PC text screendumps in TeX/LaTeX

hansen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Tom Hansen) (05/15/91)

I have a need to include pictures of text screens in my
TeX or LaTeX documents. (I'll use whichever will do the job)

I have emTeX, and I do have a utility that captures text screens and
converts them to .PCX files, which can be read by emTeX's
\special{em:graph xxx} command.  However, due to the nature
of the screens I'm dealing with (lots of dec. 179 'hash' characters)
the .PCX files end up in excess of 90K apiece.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

One workable solution I thought of would be an extension of the \tt font
to include the extended IBM PC graphics characters, so I could just include
a text file which contains the screen dumps. (but, of course, I don't
have such a font)

dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil -- harv) (05/23/91)

In article <12148@uwm.edu>, hansen@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Tom Hansen) writes:

> I have a need to include pictures of text screens in my
> TeX or LaTeX documents. (I'll use whichever will do the job)

> One workable solution I thought of would be an extension of the \tt font
> to include the extended IBM PC graphics characters, so I could just include
> a text file which contains the screen dumps. (but, of course, I don't
> have such a font)
Such a font is available....part of the Washington fonts:
    wnpc10.mf
(but you probable don't have the tape...)

It should be availabe from uxc.cso.uiuc.edu via anon ftp.
under something like pub/.../TeX3.0/MFcontrib/metafonts/washington.

I have the TFM and the WW gf and pk's for 300dpi lazer if you lack
mf/cmmf capability.

G'luck
harv

dayhoff@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil         Of the Albuquerque SunForce