[comp.text.desktop] Anyone have experience with Island Write,Draw & Paint?

rrg@fibercom.COM (Rhonda Gaines) (05/23/91)

The header says it all.  I would appreciate any comments you have on this
package (good or bad).  Will it run under X11?  We have a varied Sun setup
and want a package that will run on all the platforms we have.

 -rhonda

--
Rhonda Gaines              INTERNET: rrg@fibercom.com
FiberCom, Inc.             UUCP: ...!uunet!fibercom!rrg

saal@moss.ATT.COM (Sam Saal,1A-110,6956,Cap Gemini) (05/24/91)

In article <17688@fibercom.COM> rrg@fibercom.COM (Rhonda R. Gaines) writes:

>The header says it all.  I would appreciate any comments you have on this

We used all three packages before it bacame Island's toy.  In those
days, all of ~2 years ago, it was SunDraw, SunWrite, and SunPaint.
Were they trying to immitate Mac?

The draw and paint tools were very good.  They had good screen capture
capabilities and the ability to transfer images from one to the other
was very helpful.  I also liked the toolkits for drawing and painting.
The only thing missing (and may have since been added) was the ability
to trace a bitmap back to a vector.

SunWrite had its problems.  It was fine as long as your document was
very short (3-5 pages max), you weren't working on a loaded machine,
and you didn't make many changes to docs with lots of illustrations.
SunWrite anchors pictures to the page.  This means that if you added
text before text associated with a picture, the picture would no longer
be right next to that text. This was especially a problem if the text
was indented to flow around the picture.

Write works very slowly.  It took forever to redraw screens and even
longer to move between pages.  Add that to the fact that you had to
manually readjust pictures every time you added text, and the process
became agonizing.

Another reason Write is only good for smaller docs is its inadequate
collections capability.  Generating ToCs, indexes, Lists of Figures,
etc was a pain because it had to be done manually.

Sun/Island -Paint, -Draw, and -Write were really inexpensive, though,
and we thought we could get away with using them.  We found out
otherwise and have since moved to FrameMaker.  (We also looked at
Interleaf, but that's even more expensive.)
--
Sam Saal        saal@moss.att.com
Vayiphtach HaShem et peah HaAttone

laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) (05/28/91)

rrg@fibercom.COM (Rhonda Gaines) writes:

>The header says it all.  I would appreciate any comments you have on this
>package (good or bad).  Will it run under X11?  We have a varied Sun setup
>and want a package that will run on all the platforms we have.

Perhaps there is a new version out, but when we evaluated it about 6 months
ago we were a little disappointed.  All of the tools seemed to be 1/2
finished... though I suspect that this is only because they compare poorly
to the standard of equivallent tools on the Mac.

The thing that really bugged us was the way the promotional literature
misled us into assuming that it would run fine under OpenWindows.  In fact,
what we got was a SunView implementation of an OpenLook conformant-ish interface,
which would kind-of run in that kind-of SunView compatibilty mode which
OpenWindows kind-of has.

-------------
David Lau-Kee, Canon Research Centre Europe,
17/20 Frederick Sanger Rd, Surrey Research Park, Guildford, Surrey, GU25YD, UK.
laukee@canon.co.uk, laukee@canon.uucp, ..!mcsun!ukc!uos-ee!canon!laukee
Tel: +44 (0) 483 574325 Fax: +44 (0) 483 574360

henry@angel.Eng.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.082241.22523@canon.co.uk>, laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) writes:

    *  rrg@fibercom.COM (Rhonda Gaines) writes:

	**  The header says it all.  I would appreciate any comments
	**  you have on this package (good or bad).  Will it run
	**  under X11?  We have a varied Sun setup and want a
	**  package that will run on all the platforms we have.

    *  Perhaps there is a new version out,
There is (are) new versions for Sun OpenWindows.
    *  but when we evaluated it about 6 months ago
Here in Silicon Valley, entire corporations start up and put themselves
out of business in six months.
    *  we were a little disappointed.  All of the tools seemed
    *  to be 1/2 finished...  though I suspect that this is only
    *  because they compare poorly to the standard of equivallent
    *  tools on the Mac.

    *  The thing that really bugged us was the way the promotional
    *  literature misled us into assuming that it would run fine
    *  under OpenWindows.
Promotional literature per se doesn't mislead -- one gets misled by
what one reads into it.  The lesson to be learned here is not to
make any `buy' decisions based on collateral, but to get evaluation
copies of products.

	........  Henry

    If Operating Systems were buildings,
	UNIX would be the Winchester Mystery House.

bochner@lange.harvard.EDU (Harry Bochner) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May28.082241.22523@canon.co.uk>, laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) writes:
> rrg@fibercom.COM (Rhonda Gaines) writes:
> >The header says it all.  I would appreciate any comments you have on this
> >package (good or bad).  Will it run under X11?  We have a varied Sun setup
> >and want a package that will run on all the platforms we have.
> The thing that really bugged us was the way the promotional literature
> misled us into assuming that it would run fine under OpenWindows.  In fact,
> what we got was a SunView implementation of an OpenLook conformant-ish
> interface, which would kind-of run in that kind-of SunView compatibilty mode
> which OpenWindows kind-of has.

The real X-based version for OpenWindows has been out for about 6 months.
Despite several version updates, however, IslandWrite still seems to be buggy and
unreliable. (I don't have enough experience with I-Draw or Paint to comment on
them.) I can't recommend it. My experience with FrameMaker is much more positive:
I recommend that you get their free demo and try it out.
--
Harry Bochner
bochner@das.harvard.edu

dav@gtc.com (David L. Markowitz) (05/31/91)

bochner@lange.harvard.EDU (Harry Bochner) writes:

>In article <1991May28.082241.22523@canon.co.uk>, laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) writes:
>> The thing that really bugged us was the way the promotional literature
>> misled us into assuming that it would run fine under OpenWindows.  In fact,
>> what we got was a SunView implementation of an OpenLook conformant-ish
>> interface, which would kind-of run in that kind-of SunView compatibilty mode
>> which OpenWindows kind-of has.

>The real X-based version for OpenWindows has been out for about 6 months.
>Despite several version updates, however, IslandWrite still seems to be buggy and
>unreliable. (I don't have enough experience with I-Draw or Paint to comment on
>them.) I can't recommend it. My experience with FrameMaker is much more positive:

I have owned the Island suite for over six months now, starting with
1.3 (the Sunview/OL version), and now have 2.3 (the Xview Open Look
version).  I am seriously considering upgrading to 3.0.  (I also have
extensive experience with Interleaf 2 and 3, and Frame 2.1X, for what
it's worth.)

When I bought it, I arranged that they would upgrade me to 2.3 for no
extra cost.  Based on their sales literature at the time, I also got
the T/Maker clip art package that they were bundling at that time, and
another upgrade when their I/O filters were released.  I did this by
carefully asking questions, and then extracting promises from my sales
critter.  Everything they promised, I eventually got, although there
was occasionally some teeth pulling involved (usually having to do with
them mailing 1/4" tapes instead of floppies - a moot point now that
they no longer support floppies, but instead prefer to ship it on
CD-ROM).

btw, the filters in 2.3 are really bad.  They claim to have improved
them in 3.0, but I am still working with their tech support on the
problems.  They didn't write them - they licensed them from
Blueberry(?).

Note that I received 3 version of software and some tech. support (bug
fix support, not "how do I do this" support) without purchasing their
(badly overpriced) maintenance contract.

Now for a technical comparison of Island 2.3 OL vs. Frame 2.1X.  This
is not between Island 3.0 and/or Frame 3.0, since I haven't used either
one yet, but I may throw in some comments about futures without it
effecting the comparisons.  The comparison column is one man's
opinion.  A "=" means the two are similar, a "<" or a ">" means that
one side is "less good", and the other is "greater".

Island 2.3 Open Look		Comp.	Frame 2.1X
------------------------------	-----	------------------------------------
Somewhat buggy			=	Somewhat buggy, especially when used
					with Open Windows

Open Look			>	Motif

Paragraph capability good	<	Paragraph capability great

Weak on large documents		<	Excellent on large documents

Table of Contents		=	Table of Contents
(I haven't tried this)

No multi-file book TOC		<	Multi-file book TOC

No Cross References		<	Good X-Refs

No figure/table autonumbering	<	Good figure/table autonumbering

No footnotes			<	Mediocre footnotes
(Being added in 3.0)

No endnotes			=	No endnotes
(Being added in 3.0)			(Being added in 3.0???)

No math capability		<	Excellent math package

No table package		=	No table package (but 3.0 will have
					a good one from the previews).

Drawing package very good	=	Drawing package very good
(Has bezier curves)			(Has "Distribute" and "gravity")

Paint package very good		>	No paint toolkit
(I haven't used this much)

No color capability		<	Mediocre color
(3.0 adds great color)

$995 List (seen for $895)	>	$2500 List (seen for $2395)

$495 Annual support+updates	>	$700 Annual support+updates
			  (actual cost)

50% Annual support+updates	<	28% Annual support+updates
		(as a percentage of purchase price)

Many filters included		>	Filters cost $995
(Some are weak)				(For this I can buy Island!)

No military-style support	<	Good Mil support
					(Change bars, freeze numbering, etc.)

I dson't need math or large documents, so I chose Island.  I used Frame
at work.  I am happy with Island for my home needs (but it just won't
do at work!).

I expect to buy Island 3.0 and an HP Paintjet if the evaluation goes
okay.  I also am buying a VideoPix card so I can grab imagery and
put it in island.

--

	David L. Markowitz
	Solaris Systems Division - Genisco Technology Corporation