[comp.mail.elm] Installation problems with 1.5b

taylor@hpldat.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (05/07/87)

From: Bill Silvert <seismo!dalcs!biomel!bill@hplabs.HP.COM>
Subject: Installation problems with 1.5b
Date: Wed, 6 May 87 11:16:37 ADT

Here is an item on three problems I ran into installing ELM 1.5b, with fixes.

Here are the fixes that I needed to make to install the new patches to elm
on my machine.  While I am running Sys V, these appear to be bugs that would
affect all users (except for #2):

  1. initialize.c: change DEBUGFILE to DEBUG.  DEBUGFILE is not defined.

  2. leavembox.c: unistd.h doesn't exist on my system.  If you don't have it
     either, all you have to do is define:
     	utimbuf { time_t actime;
		  time_t  modtime;
		  };
     This is taken from the previous version.

  3. showmsg.c: the second sprintf has a superfluous string field.
     change -- sprintf(title2, "Mailed %s %s, %d at %s%s\n",
     to     -- sprintf(title2, "Mailed %s %s, %d at %s\n",

A final comment -- I had three old versions of reply.c -- none of them
took the patches successfully, and I finally had to request reply.c from
Dave Taylor.

William Silvert, Modelling & Statistics Group
Bedford Institute of Oceanography
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CANADA

 ...!{seismo,utai}!dalcs!biomel!bill 		biomel!bill@cs.dal.cdn

taylor@hpldat.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (05/08/87)

From: mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw)
Subject: Re: Installation problems with 1.5b

Several recent postings have pointed out that their flavor of Unix does
not have <unistd.h> and therefore no "struct utimbuf" definition.  I'd
like to add that having <unistd.h> does not guarantee having the "struct
utimbuf" definition.  Here's what my Ultrix 1.2 <unistd.h> says:

/* >>> Structure for "utime" function not included in AT&T version <<< */

And merrily omits anything having to do with utimbuf.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa