[comp.mail.elm] Sement Violation in elm

daemon@hplabsc.UUCP (05/08/87)

From: barad%brand.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu (Herb Barad)
Subject: Sement Violation in elm
To: comp-mail-elm@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: 6 May 87 22:55:20 GMT

I am trying to run elm on a Sun (version 3.2 OS s/w).  I have
installed the newest patches (1 through 8 - even the patch about BSD
signals) and now elm won't work.  When I try to read a mail message I
get:

Emergancy Exit taken!  All temp files intact!
Segment Violation signal!

and it leave the /tmp/mbox.$USER file.  The patch reguarding the BSD
signals did not seem to affect segv_signal, just the one for sigstop.

Can anyone help?

--
Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

USENET:		...!sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!barad			or
		...!mcvax!seismo!sdcsvax!sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!barad

ARPANET:	barad@brand.usc.edu

ries@trwrb.UUCP (Marc Ries) (05/09/87)

>Subject: Sement Violation in elm
>
>I am trying to run elm on a Sun (version 3.2 OS s/w).  I have
>installed the newest patches (1 through 8 - even the patch about BSD
>signals) and now elm won't work.  When I try to read a mail message I
>get:
>
>Emergancy Exit taken!  All temp files intact!
>Segment Violation signal!
>--
>Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]

 Unfortunately, this has problem shown up on our Pyramid and at
 a neighboring Vax site.

 I haven't had the time to adb/sdb/dbx anything yet, or check and
 see if the previous post/patch to showmsg.c might affect it.

 In the meantime, I just reloaded the old stuff and I'll wait
 until the dust settles in this "free-for-all".

--
		Marc A. Ries

		sdcrdcf!---\
                ihnp4!------\----- trwrb! --- ries