[comp.mail.elm] Elm installation problems

daemon@hplabsc.UUCP (05/07/87)

From: tektronix!sequent!sch@hplabs.HP.COM (Steve Hemminger)
Subject: Elm installation problems
Date: Wed, 6 May 87 8:49:39 PDT

Overall, I would have to rate the portablity of Elm as medium.  It tries to
be portable off HP-UX/System V systems but has some basic flaws

I managed to bring it up with minor tweaks.

0) Configure does not know about Sequent
	a) /dynix is name of kernel
	b) build time improves by factor of 20 by using parallel make files
	   but others don't have that luxury.

1) Configure.sh problems on BSD systems
	a) bsd test does not support -c flag

	b) dirname command not found
		no dirname command (at least in UCB universe)

2) Fseek problems
	a) fseek (on Dynix 2.1) returns offset on sucess and -1 on error
	   This is similar to BSD 4.3
	   had to change all if(fseek(...)) to if( fseek(...) == -1)

3) Terminal problems
	Padding problem on SO/SE
	need to rip padding chars (digits) off front of strings
---

char *return_value_of(termcap_label)
char *termcap_label;
{
	/** This will return the string kept by termcap for the
	    specified capability. Modified to ensure that if
	    tgetstr returns a pointer to a transient address
	    that we won't bomb out with a later segmentation
	    fault (thanks to Dave@Infopro for this one!)

	    Tweaked to remove padding sequences.
	 **/

	register char *cp;
	static char escape_sequence[20];
	char *tgetstr();     		/* Get termcap capability */

	if (strlen(termcap_label) < 2)
	  return(NULL);

	if (termcap_label[0] == 's' && termcap_label[1] == 'o')
	  cp = _setinverse;
	else if (termcap_label[0] == 's' && termcap_label[1] == 'e')
	  cp = _clearinverse;
	else if ((cp = tgetstr(termcap_label, &ptr)) == NULL)
	  return( (char *) NULL );

	while (*cp && isascii(*cp) && isdigit(*cp))
		++cp;

	strcpy(escape_sequence, cp);

	return (escape_sequence);
}
---
	tgoto needs UP and BC (global char *)
	tputs needs ospeed and PC to determine padding

4) can't handle other forms of mail file locking
	BSD 4.3 (and Tektronix UTek) use flock to lock the mailbox.
	should ask about location name of lockfile...

--
<sequent!sch> steve hemminger (a.k.a netbuster)

daemon@hplabsc.UUCP (05/08/87)

In article <1745@hplabsc.HP.COM> taylor@hpldat (Dave Taylor) writes:
>	b) dirname command not found
>		no dirname command (at least in UCB universe)

I don't know what the original dirname is/was, but here's a script
that I put in my path to emulate it:
#!/bin/csh -f

echo $1:h
I hate mud. I like blue clean flowing water. LA sucks water.
That doesn't mean I like LA. (Actually, I like a lot of things in LA)
+      Jim Budler      Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.      (408) 749-5806      +
+  Compuserve: 72415,1200; Delphi: JIMBUDLER;  Usenet: jimb@amdcad.AMD.COM   +

rassilon@eddie.mit.edu (Brian Preble) (05/08/87)

Does anyone have Elm running correctly on a VAX running 4.3bsd?  The original
distribution does not make and the patches to 'Makefile.mstr' posted recently
don't fit in the copy of 'Makefile.mstr' included in my distribution copy.

					-- Rassilon

jimb@amdcad.AMD.COM (Jim Budler) (05/09/87)

In article <1772@hplabsc.HP.COM> rassilon@eddie.mit.edu (Brian Preble) writes:

>Does anyone have Elm running correctly on a VAX running 4.3bsd?
>
>					-- Rassilon

Yes, VAX 780 running BSD4.3, also uVax running Ultrix2.0.

Correctly? I'm putting flock locking in so it can interact correctly
with other 4.3 mailers.

Other than that, yes.
--
Room for growth:
+==== Jim Budler ==== Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. ==== (408) 749-5806 ====+
| Compuserve: 72415,1200; Delphi: JIMBUDLER;  Usenet: jimb@amdcad.AMD.COM  |
+=== Disclaimer: My company wouldn't let ME speak for them, would they? ===+

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Michael Khaw) (05/09/87)

In article <1778@hplabsc.HP.COM> ames!amdcad!jimb@seismo.CSS.GOV (Jim Budler) writes:
>Correctly? I'm putting flock locking in so it can interact correctly
>with other 4.3 mailers.

Jim, please post your flock patches when they're done.  I was thinking about
doing that here, but why duplicate effort?

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa