[comp.mail.elm] elm bug report

daemon@hplabsc.UUCP (05/06/87)

From: pixar!bp@hplabs.HP.COM (Bruce Perens)
Subject: Elm bug report
To: pyramid!hplabs!elm-info@hplabs.HP.COM
Date: Tue, 5 May 87 19:09:10 PDT

These are the quick changes I had to make so that Elm would run on my
4.3 VAX after I extracted Dave's patches. I make no claims of
completeness or correctness. I am only posting these so that the
people who DO have time to maintain Elm will know about them. There are
other cosmetic and functional changes to make, but I doubt I'll ever
have time to make them.
						Bruce Perens
						bp@pixar

date.c line 102: Add a second close parenthesis to fix syntax error.

leavembox.c line 12: Comment out #include <unistd.h>, define utimbuf
 structure. What Unix version contains unistd.h? What conditional
 should be used to switch this?

showmsgs.c line 189: Delete the last %s in the printf pattern, as there
 isn't a corresponding argument for it.

daemon@hplabsc.UUCP (05/08/87)

Bugs I've run across, but not yet fixed. Anyone out there fixed these already?

	1. In Expert mode, if there are 15 (or more) messages on a 24-line
	   screen, the "Command: " prompt sometimes gets put on the wrong
	   screen line (one up from where it belongs).

	2. If you use the "O"ptions command to change the S)ort order to
	   "Message Status (tagged through deleted)" and then save the
	   options-- you will get the message "unknown sort order - status".

	3. The two-line (default) message headers are preceeded by a ^M,
	   according to my pager (less). Looks cruddy (I turned 'em off, but I
	   kinda liked the info they provided).

And a couple of (desirable) enhancements:

	A. Would like a sort order of:
	   	1. Urgent, sorted by date sent
	   	2. New, sorted by date sent
	   	3. Tagged
	   	4. Old
	   	5. Deleted

	B. Would like screen to automagically refresh upon return from BSD ^Z.
	   (Thanks for the code that fixed the RAW mode problems.)

	C. Would like to have aliases expanded within "edit headers"
	   sub-section.

	D. Elm should unlink() the temp files that the user's editor may have
	   created (esp. CCA/GNU emacs & jove). Guess it would just need to
	   unlink /tmp/snd.XXXX~ and /tmp/#snd.XXXX (and /tmp/snd.XXXX,*).
	   Probably just as well to just unlink /tmp/*snd.XXXX* after sending
	   the mail.

	E. Full "ADVANCED" FORMS handling, anyone?

	F. `answer' could be screen-oriented, with prompts for useful info:

	   	WHILE YOU WERE OUT

	   Of:
	   Phone:

	   Called-At: DATE/TIME(provided)

	   Action:	Call Back:	Will Call Again:	Urgent: (etc)

	G. `answer'/aliases should provide a means for users to "register" as
	   wanting electronic or paper WYWO messages ("answer joe"; "Joe not
	   in answer database- please use paper WYWO"). Would allow for those
	   (stubborn) users who read their mail less frequently than they pass
	   the receiptionists desk (especially if the receptionist is
	   attractive ;-)

I may or may not get around to any of these, but I figure making them public
might spur interest out there in Elms-ville.

	All assistance Appreciated!

--
LIVE:	Barry A. Burke, (617) 499-6370
USPS:	Adelie Corporation, 125 CambridgePark Drive Cambridge, MA  02140

daemon@hplabsc.UUCP (05/08/87)

In article <1759@hplabsc.HP.COM> harvard!adelie!barry@seismo.CSS.GOV (Barry A. Burke) writes:
>	B. Would like screen to automagically refresh upon return from BSD ^Z.

I thought about putting in an ioctl() call to simulate ^L on return from ^Z.
Problem is you can ^Z from states/modes to which sending ^L may either (a) do
nothing, or (b) cause undesired action (e.g., ^Z from help and then return).

Perhaps one fix is to make the builtin pager understand ^L.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

daemon@hplabsc.UUCP (06/12/87)

Here's my list of the bugs I've run into in Elm 1.5b

- doesn't parse termcap padding characters (esp. for standout mode)
- needs to use termcap "ti"/"te" if applicable (to force 1 page screen mode)
- needs a "copy" vs. "move" option instead of the current "save" (move) option
- needs shorthand for the "read" mailbox
- bounce option generates uucp bang sender address (we use Internet syntax).
- options menu needs to interpret csh "~" notation for Folder path
- builtin editor miscounts on ^U (kill line), backspacing 1 too many columns
- builtin editor thinks "(" ")" are shell metachars!
- mail-only mode needs to map \n to \r\n (turn on newline mapping)
- mail-only mode doesn't save copy in sent folder (doesn't read .elmrc)
- in mail-only mode, INTERRUPT forever gives a prompt to hit INTERRUPT once more

Mike Khaw