[comp.mail.elm] Important bug fix for the "filter" program

taylor@hpldat.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (06/20/87)

I've had a problem with mail from a certain BITNET address for quite
a while now and finally tracked down the bug in the filter program.
(it was core-dumping from within sendmail and rejecting the mail with
a cryptic error).  The fix, that everyone should apply, is in the file
"filter/filter.c" in the routine "save_embedded_address()":

Changed from:
--------------
	else {	/* get past "from:" and copy until white space or paren hit */
	  for (i=strlen(fieldname); whitespace(buffer[i]); i++)
	     /* skip past that... */ ;
-	  while (buffer[i] != '(' && ! whitespace(buffer[i]))
	    address[j++] = buffer[i++];
	  address[j] = '\0';
	}
--------------
To:
--------------
	else {	/* get past "from:" and copy until white space or paren hit */
	  for (i=strlen(fieldname); whitespace(buffer[i]); i++)
	     /* skip past that... */ ;
+ 	  while (buffer[i] != '(' && ! whitespace(buffer[i]) && buffer[i]!='\0')
	    address[j++] = buffer[i++];
	  address[j] = '\0';
	}
--------------
That is, you need to add the end-of-line test for the while loop.  Oops!

In other news, I've been somewhat regretfully watching the demise of
Elm and the gradual fragmentation of the patch sets powerlessly.  As
I said when I stopped supporting it, I believe it is a somewhat
temporary situation, but I still cannot offer too much time or effort
into helping people with the Elm system, alas.  I really wish someone
would come forward and take over the reins for a few more months so
we can have a consistent system - there is no reason we need to have
a person who has 'n' machines either - if someone will control the
sources, others can post/mail patches for other OSs too.

I hope that within a few weeks I'll be able to post another large
set of patches that covers what everyone else has submitted to the
group plus some of my own that I haven't had time to mention (!)
so try to keep a 'clean' Elm 1.5b around and/or work on your cdiff
reading skills.

Perhaps we should also discuss a new full-source posting to the net
or something.  The problem with that is that there is a LOT of code
and it seems rude to keep posting it.  Anyone care to suggest to
Usenix and/or some other organization that they include Elm on their
software distribution tapes??  Or offer to distribute it themselves
for a minimal charge???

		Ahhh...back to the coal mines.   Take care, all,

					-- Dave Taylor

ejp@ausmelb.OZ (Esmond Pitt) (07/07/87)

In article <2061@hplabsc.HP.COM> taylor@hpldat (Dave Taylor) writes:

>Perhaps we should also discuss a new full-source posting to the net
>or something.  The problem with that is that there is a LOT of code
>and it seems rude to keep posting it.

Please please PLEASE post it.
The various patches have been so busy undoing each
other that, probably like most people,
I have just given up putting them in.

--
Esmond Pitt, Austec International Ltd