[comp.mail.elm] Possible alias bug?

dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) (09/24/87)

One of our student operators sent me a message today saying that he had an
alias where he was listed before another person and the other person never
got the mail.

So I looked into it and sure enough, it didn't work. Seems that if we have
a case as follows:

user: Joe user: joe_user@site.whatever
otest : oper test : scott , davidc, user

that if I mail to "otest" my to_line only shows "joe user" as a recipient.

I'm running 1.5b. I may have missed a couple patches. Has anyone else seen this
bug and have a fix, or should I just wait for 1.7?

Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!dave    {o,o}
Csnet:	  dave%uwmcsd1@uwm	   Bellnet: +1 (414) 229-5133   \u/
ICBM: 43 4 58 N/ 87 55 52 W  Usnail: 3200 N Cramer #E380, Milw WI 53211

shprentz@bdmrrr.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <2924@uwmcsd1.UUCP>, dave@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (David A Rasmussen) writes:
> ... Seems that if we have
> a case as follows:
>
> user: Joe user: joe_user@site.whatever
> otest : oper test : scott , davidc, user
>
> that if I mail to "otest" my to_line only shows "joe user" as a recipient.

Alias.guide describes a restriction on group aliases like otest in your
example:

	"The significant limitation with group aliases is
	that each of the people in the list must be a
	previously defined aliasname in either the
	existing alias file or the system alias file or a
	valid destination on the current machine."

You must define scott and davidc as aliases in your alias file or the
system alias file.
--
Joel Shprentz                   Phone:  (703) 848-7305
BDM Corporation                 Uucp:  {rutgers,vrdxhq,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!shprentz