[comp.mail.elm] Coordination for Elm 1.7 beta patches

shprentz@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Joel Shprentz) (09/25/87)

A tape containing Elm 1.7 beta arrived monday from Dave Taylor.
Thanks Dave.

Along with the tape was a note from Dave explaining the end of his
support for Elm.  I include it here (from README on the tape):

-------------------------- Start of quoted text ----------------------

			  Preface to The Release
			            of
			    The Elm Mail System
			       (version 1.7)

The distribution of this version of Elm really does mark the end of my
participation with the project.  I will not be able to work any further
with anyone on this, including transforming this beta version into an
actual release for Usenet via comp.sources.unix.

Instead, I'd like to have one of the people recieving this release take
the burden upon themselves to take over ownership of the system (more or
less) and to coordinate the ensuing bug reports and later distribution of
the system.

Thanks again, and I look forward to seeing in comp.mail.elm a notice
from someone saying they're ready to take it over and coordinate all
notes and bugs.  This means that I **CANNOT** receive any bug fixes or
enhancement requests for the system, so if you're a beta test site, that
you too should wait for someone to step forward before sending off
any mail.

In the event no-one steps forward, then I guess the system will simply
splinter off into a number of 'variations on the theme'...

	It's been a lot of fun and I again thank HP for their enthusiastic
	support of my continued work on the Elm Mail System.

					-- Dave Taylor

August 4th, 1987
--------------------------- End of quoted text -----------------------

I hope that this does not mark the end of Elm.  Has anyone volunteered
to coordinate Elm patches and releases?  If no one else stops forward,
I offer to incorporated bug fixes into Elm 1.7 beta and release it when
it stablizes.

After solving a handful of problems, I have Elm running on a Sun
computer.  Several other problems have been discovered by users.
I plan to bring Elm up on a Callan Unistar next.

Elm 1.7 beta sites, let's here from you.
--
Joel Shprentz                   Phone:  (703) 848-7305
BDM Corporation                 Uucp:  seismo!bdmrrr!shprentz

shprentz@bdmrrr.UUCP (10/02/87)

Last week I offered to coordinate the patches to Elm 1.7 beta if no one
else stepped forward.  No one did.

If you have Elm 1.7 beta please contact me so that I can include your
patches in the Elm 1.7 release.

Several people asked me for a copy of the beta tape.  Because it
contains many problems, and because I think that the regular release
will be late this month, I recommend you wait a little longer.

Special thanks to Steve Wolf who sent numerous patches made at Hewlett
Packard.
--
Joel Shprentz                   Phone:  (703) 848-7305
BDM Corporation                 Uucp:  {rutgers,vrdxhq,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!shprentz

edc@altnet.UUCP (Eric Christensen) (10/06/87)

In article <906@bdmrrr.bdm.com>, shprentz@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Joel Shprentz) writes:
> The distribution of this version of Elm really does mark the end of my
> participation with the project.  I will not be able to work any further
> with anyone on this, including transforming this beta version into an
> actual release for Usenet via comp.sources.unix.
>
> Instead, I'd like to have one of the people recieving this release take
> the burden upon themselves to take over ownership of the system (more or
> less) and to coordinate the ensuing bug reports and later distribution of
> the system.
>
> 					-- Dave Taylor

Well, so far I haven't seen a whole lot of people jumping forward to help
coordinate the Elm 1.7 release or bug fixes. Not to mention the continued
development of Elm. If someone hasn't already taken the task on, I'll be
more that happy to.

I'm running Elm on a large network of 68020 and 80386 based systems. Some
are running V.2, some V.3, I've even got one running System III. I've spent
a lot of time and effort personally to port Elm to these systems, and added
a few features which we need in house. I've also mucked around with the
sources a lot to provide support for several different delivery agents, as
well as adding support for out propretary LAN. I'm currently working on
mods to get Elm running under V.3 as a client process, using a delivery agent
on a central host. (Next step is to add support for X, and DOS workstations).

As a result, I have gotten to know and like the Elm mail system, and want
to see it's continued development. It would be a pity to let Elm die on
the vine.
----

| Eric D. Christensen     | Email: edc@altnet.altos.com  (uunet!altnet!edc)   |
| 399 West Trimble Road   | Definitions:    Bug - An Undocumented Feature     |
| San Jose, Ca. 95131     |                 Feature - A Documented Bug        |
| These views aren't Altos' - They're mine, all mine, and you can't have them |