[comp.mail.elm] Elm filter bug

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) (11/10/87)

Has anyone a work around for what seems to be a bug between sendmail and
filter?

The problem is as follows. If 2 people I know are using filter, they then
have .forward files for sendmail that look like:
/usr/local/bin/filter

So for instance if scott and david use filter and I say: mail scott david
sendmail translates this initially into: /usr/.../filter /usr/.../filter
and eventually sends only to one of the people using filter.

ANy suggestions, fixes appreciated. We'd like to use filter.
--
Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee
Internet: dave@csd1.milw.wisc.edu  Uucp: uwvax!uwmcsd1!dave    {o,o}

taylor@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Dave Taylor) (11/10/87)

Dave Rasmussen writes about a sendmail/filter problem:

> The problem is as follows. If 2 people I know are using filter, they then
> have .forward files for sendmail that look like:
> /usr/local/bin/filter
>
> So for instance if scott and david use filter and I say: mail scott david
> sendmail translates this initially into: /usr/.../filter /usr/.../filter
> and eventually sends only to one of the people using filter.

I hate to point my finger at something else, but it sounds like the
problem lies with your version of sendmail, not the filter program.

An easy way to find out would be for you to set up two dummy acounts,
say joe1 and joe2, and have each of 'em contain a .forward:

	"|/bin/cat - > /tmp/joe[n]"

where the '[n]' is either '1' or '2' accordingly.

Then, open up the SMTP port directly via telnet (we'll assume your host is
called "uwmcsd1":

% telnet uwmcsd1 25					[you type this in]
Trying...
Connected to uwmcsd1...
Escape character is '^]'.
220 uwmcsd1 Sendmail <version id, etc etc>
VRFY joe1^J						[make sure you use ^J]
250 Joe1 For Testing <"|/bin/cat - > /tmp/joe1">
VRFY joe2^J						[rather than <return>]
250 Joe2 For Testing <"|/bin/cat - > /tmp/joe2">
QUIT							  [ .. and quit .. ]
221 uwmcsd1 closing connection
Connection closed by forgeing host.
%

So now we've verified that the individual aliases are functioning alright.
Next step is simply to send mail to both users:

% elm joe1 joe2
To: joe1, joe2
Subject: test message ...
Copies-To:

Please enter message, '.' to end, or ~? <RETURN> for help;

Just testing...

.
<end-of-message>

Are you sure you want to send this? (y/n) y
mail sent.
%

Now if both files /tmp/joe1 and /tmp/joe2 have a copy of the message then
you've established that it isn't sendmail, per se, that is causing the
problem.  If not, then sendmail is indeed the culprit.

(I can't see any way that 'filter' would be unable to cope with this sort
 of invocation, but who knows what mysteries lurk deep in the depths....)

If anyone else has any further ideas/information on this, I'd be interested
in reading about them - please post 'em to this group.

					-- Dave Taylor --