[comp.mail.elm] Elm question

ken@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Hall) (11/10/87)

How does one edit the aliases one sets up with ELM?

Ken

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (11/11/87)

> How does one edit the aliases one sets up with ELM?

Use your favorite editor on ~/.alias_text

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

kdavis@lamc.UUCP (Ken Davis) (11/11/87)

In article <18794@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:
>> How does one edit the aliases one sets up with ELM?
>
>Use your favorite editor on ~/.alias_text
>
>Mike Khaw
>--

Then execute   newalias  so that the changes are recompiled in
~/.alias_hash

System aliases will have to be changed by root in the directory
where they reside (ie /usr/mail/.alias_text) and then newalias
run there also.

--
        Ken Davis - Letterman Army Medical Center - San Francisco, CA
  {ihnp4,lll-crg,ames,pyramid}!ptsfa!lamc!kdavis  kdavis@optimis-pent.arpa

merlin@hqda-ai.UUCP (David S. Hayes) (11/11/87)

     Edit the file ".alias_text" in your home directory.  Then,
run the program "newalias", which builds a pair of DBM files from
this text input.  ELM actually references the DBM files when it
runs, so if you don't do "newalias", your edits don't take effect.

--
David S. Hayes, The Merlin of Avalon	PhoneNet:  (202) 694-6900
UUCP:  *!uunet!cos!hqda-ai!merlin	ARPA:  ai01@hios-pent.arpa

ken@pyr.UUCP (11/12/87)

Thankyou, everyone.  All is well now.  I appreciate the information.

Ken

shprentz@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Joel Shprentz) (11/16/87)

In article <4425@pyr.gatech.EDU>, ken@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Hall) writes:
> How does one edit the aliases one sets up with ELM?

Edit .alias_text in your home directory and run newalias to update
the alias index files, .alias_hash and .alias_data.
--
Joel Shprentz                   Phone:  (703) 848-7305
BDM Corporation                 Uucp:  {rutgers,vrdxhq,rlgvax}!bdmrrr!shprentz