[net.music] American Pie question

steve@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Steve Holtsberg) (08/25/85)

If there is anyone out there who knows something about the lyrics
to American Pie, I was wondering who the jester is?

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (08/27/85)

> If there is anyone out there who knows something about the lyrics
> to American Pie, I was wondering who the jester is?

Bob Dylan.  '...on the sidelines in a cast...'  refers to the result of
his injuries in a motorcycle accident.

cds@duke.UUCP (Craig D. Singer) (08/28/85)

In article <2283@sdcrdcf.UUCP> steve@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Steve Holtsberg) writes:
>If there is anyone out there who knows something about the lyrics
>to American Pie, I was wondering who the jester is?

I believe McLean was referring to Bob Dylan.

davida@umd5.UUCP (08/28/85)

*** FOR ALL YOU CHEW, THIS LINE'S FOR YOU ***

> If there is anyone out there who knows something about the lyrics
> to American Pie, I was wondering who the jester is?

The jester refers to Bob Dylan, and 'the jester on the sidelines in
a cast' refers to his accident (motorcycle?).  Refer back about 300
articles (hah) to find more on this topic.

--
David Arnold
University of Maryland

gjerawlins@watdaisy.UUCP (Gregory J.E. Rawlins) (08/30/85)

In article <726@umd5.UUCP> davida@umd5.UUCP writes:
>[.......]
>The jester refers to Bob Dylan, and 'the jester on the sidelines in
>a cast' refers to his accident (motorcycle?).  Refer back about 300
>articles (hah) to find more on this topic.
>--
>David Arnold
>University of Maryland

    Hello All. I expect this subject has been beaten to death
many times before on net.music so could some kind soul please
mail me the "explanations" of all the odd things in the lyrics
of "American Pie"? Also anything else on the other strange songs
on that album would be much appreciated.(for example, i understand
that "Vincent" is about Vincent Van Gogh, is this true?).
    (signed)
    Clued-Out-But-Eager-To-Know
		Thanx muchly.
		greg.
--
Gregory J.E. Rawlins, CS Dept., U.Waterloo, Waterloo,Ontario N2L3G1,Canada
CSNET:gjerawlins%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet                   +1 519 884 3852

danb@tesla.UUCP (Dan Blumenthal) (09/02/85)

In article <726@umd5.UUCP> davida@umd5.UUCP writes:

>The jester refers to Bob Dylan, and 'the jester on the sidelines in
>a cast' refers to his accident (motorcycle?).  Refer back about 300
>articles (hah) to find more on this topic.
>
>--
>David Arnold

Can someone please explain most/all the references in the lyrics of American
Pie or tell me HOW to refer back to old articles? Danka.

Dan B

ARPA   - danb@tesla.ARPA
UUCP   - {decvax,vax135,allegra}!cornell!tesla!danb

"Use more honey - find out what she knows" - Dr. Emilio Lizardo

rcook@uiucuxc.Uiuc.ARPA (09/05/85)

These are the old messages that i saved relating to American Pie.
these messages were not written by me, only compiled from the net.
I apologize to the authors of these notes for not including their
names, as I had to make the file as short as possible and editted
out the names and .sig files a long time ago.
I hope this helps.  Any questions can be directed to me through the
path at the end of this note.

	When "the worst song ever" was a topic in net.music,
 I was going to nominate "Bye, Bye, Miss American Pie."

Firstly, the song was simply called American Pie.

 But, WHY?????????  It is a classic of modern music!  McLean's lyrics are
 marvelous!  What could be wrong with it??????

	Well it is all a matter of taste, and many people enjoy
songs I do not.   Fact is that "American Pie" was very high in the
charts for a long time in the late 60's.  I remember riding to
to high school with a person who lived near me (not a friend
exactly, he was sort of a redneck).  That song played over and over.
Its lyrics may be profound, but, to me, its melody is like a
TV commercial.   And all this stuff about how his lyrics
contained references to various media people of the time,
somehow does not strike me as weighty stuff.

	But, since it was high in the charts, obviously, many people
liked it.   So, I apologize for criticizing it.   I found out long
ago that instead of criticizing popular taste, i.e. "A.M. radio sucks",
I have a guitar, a stereo and hundreds of records and tapes of music
I really like.   That way I can listen to music I like and I have
nothing to complain about.

	Well it is all a matter of taste, and many people enjoy
songs I do not.   Fact is that "American Pie" was very high in the
charts for a long time in the late 60's.

Really? I believe the copyright for the song is 1971. Btw, in three
different versions of the sheet music I've seen it's been Lennin, Lennon,
and Lenin reading a book of Marx.

(WARNING: The rest of this note is very long.)
And now, here are selections from The Great "American Pie" Discussion of 1983
(not to be confused with The Great Wombat Debate of 1984):

Here are the lyrics to American Pie as I heard them off the album
I also included some ideas as to some of the meanings to the lines:

                  AMERICAN PIE
                          by Don McLean  (* the song is a tribute to Buddy
                                           Holly and how American rock music has
                                           degraded after his death  *)

        Long Long time ago
        I can still remember
        how that music used to make me smile

        And I knew if I had my chance
        That I could make those people dance
        And maybe they'ed be happy for a while

        But February made me shiver        (* he died in Feb in a plane crash
        With every paper I'd deliver          during a snowstorm *)
        Bad news on the doorstep
        I couldn't take one more step

        I cann't remember if I cried
        When I read about his widowed bride
        But something touched me deep inside
        The day the music died
        So

        Refrain:
            Bye bye Miss American Pie
            Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
            Them good ole boys were drinkin wiskey and rye
            Singing "This'll be the day that I die,
                     This'll be the day that I die."

                (* one of Holly's biggest songs "That'll be the Day" had a line
                   in it "That'll be the day, that I die" *)

        Did you write the book of love      (* A 50's song "Who Wrote the Book
        And do you have faith in God above     Love" *)
        If the Bible tells you so

        Do you believe in rock 'n roll
        Can music save your mortal soul
        And can you teach me how to dance real slow

        Well I know you're in love with him
        'Cause I saw you dance'n in the gym
        You both kicked off your shoes
        And I dig those rythmic blues

        I was a lonely teenage bronc'n buck     (* the 50's were a good time
        With a pink carnation and a pickup truck   until Holly, "the Music",
        But I knew that I was out of luck          died *)
        The day the music died
        I started singing

        Refrain

        Now for ten years we've been on our own
        and moss grows fat out of Rolling Stone
        But that's not how it used to be

        When the jester sang for the King and Queen    (* jester - Dylan
        In a coat he borrowed from James Dean             king   - Elvis *)
               (* In the movie James Dean has a red jacket that he lends
                  to someone who gets killed. Does the jacket symbolize
                  imminent doom?? *)
        In a voice that came from you and me
               (* Dylan started from the streets and his lyrics show it *)

        Oh and while the King was looking down
        The jester stole his thorny crown     (* Dylan rising - Elvis falling *)
        The courtroom was adjourned
        No verdict was returned

        And while Lennon read a book on Marx
                    (* John Lennon getting into radical politics *)
        The court kept practice in the park
[The above line is actually "A quartet practiced in the park" - Wombat]
        And we sang dirges in the dark
        The day the music died
        We were singing

        Refrain

        Helter Skelter in a summer swelter      (* Beatles Song *)
        The birds flew with a fallout shelter
        Eight miles high and falling fast
                  (* the Byrds sang a song called "Eight Miles High" *)

        And landed foul on the grass
        The players tried for a forward pass
        With the jester on the sidelines in a cast
     (* Dylan didn't perform for a year or so after a bad motercycle accident *)

        Now the halftime air was sweet perfume
        While the Sargeants played a marching tune  (* Beatles' Sgt. Pepper *)
        We all got up to dance
        Oh but we never got the chance

        'Cause the players tried to take the field
        The marching band refused to yeild
        Do you recall what was the deal
        The day the music died
        We started singing
(* this could be refering to the Beach Boys trying to take the Beatles' place
   as the best group in the world.  In '66 or so the B.Bs put out their most
   ambitious (and best) album only to have Sgt. P's L.H. Band come out almost
   simultaneously, destroying the B.Bs album in sales *)

        Refrain

        Oh and there we were all in one place    (* Woodstock *)
        A generation lost in space
        With no time left to start again

        So come on Jack be nimble Jack be quick (* Mick Jagger and the Stones *)
        Jack Flash sat on a candlestick        (* Jumpin Jack Flash - Stones
        'Cause fire is the devil's only friend     falling???? *)

        Oh and as I watched him on the stage
        My hands were clenched in fists of rage
        No angel born in hell
        Could break that satan spell      (* the Altomont incident *)

        And as the flames climbed high into the night
        To light the sacraficial rite
        I saw satan laughing with delight
        The day the music died
        He was singing

        Refrain

        I met a girl who sang the blues   (* Janis Joplin *)
        And I asked her for some happy news
        But she just smiled and turned away  (* she od'ed and died *)

        I went down to the sacred store
        Where I'd heard the music years before
        But the man there said the music wouldn't play
           (* a reference to the long gone practice of sampling records
               in the store *)

        And in the streets the children screamed
        The lovers cried and the poets dreamed
        And not a word was spoken
        The church bells All were broken

        And the three men I admire most
        The Father Son and Holy Ghost
        They caught the last train for the coast
        The day the music died
        And they were singing
        Refrain             (2x)
----------
Different things I have heard over the years:

The only regular job McLean ever held was as a paper boy (appears to be true)
The 'widowed bride' = Mrs. Holly or Jackie K. O. (Holly died in Feb., making
Jackie second choice)

Book of Love = 50's song
Rest of the verse seems to be the whole 50's-60's high school thing (one
thing McLean has admitted writing about was coming-of-age in that period)

'Moss grows fat on a rolling stone' = Bob Dylan slowing down
The jester = Bob Dylan
The king = Elvis Presley
Quartet practicing in the park = I've heard Beatles, but it seems more likely
to me that this is a reference to the Weavers, since this comes after
Lenin reads a book on Marx  -- the Weavers were blacklisted during the
McCarthy era, and McLean was a big Weavers fan

'The birds flew off ... eight miles high' = the Byrds, and their "Eight
Miles High" album
'The half-time air was sweet perfume' = drugs, man
'The sergeants played a marching tune' = Beatles, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely
Hearts Club Band

Next to last verse (Jack, be nimble ..., No angel born in hell) refers to
the Stones's Altamont concert where the Hell's Angels working security
killed spectators

The 'girl who sang the blues... but she just smiled and turned away' =
Janis Joplin, and her death
'The Father, Son, and Holy Ghost' = Holly, "The Big Bopper", and the
third man in the plane crash or JFK, Martin Luther King, Bobby Kennedy(?)
or the religious guys themselves (McLean went to Catholic schools and
his religious beliefs come out in some of his other songs)
'They caught the last train for the coast' = California religions ?
Last verse = death of the America he imagined as a child

I don't know much about the history of the period (I was 10 when
Woodstock happened, with a low consciousness of what was going on
in the musical world) -- most of this is stuff I've read or been told.
I'm interested in what other people have heard on the subject.

----------

	I don't know much about Buddy Holly, but wasn't he from
Texas?  If he was, then the phrase "good ol' boys" in:

		Good ol' boys were drinkin
		Whiskey and rye.

makes a little more sense.
----------

         As Father, Son, and Holy Ghost seem to be, apparently, meta-phors
for aspects of Deity, which is 'within you and without you' then it would
not necessarily need to be the case that theses figures would stand for
(meta- ) anything else than what they are metaphors For. No?
----------

	One more reference:

	Jack Flash sat on a Candlestick

	is obviously about the Stones' Candlestick Park concert.

"When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all."
				Roger Zelazny, *Doorways in the Sand*

	 Rob Cook

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!rcook

      'Life is just a cocktail party on the street'
			-Mick Jagger-