[comp.mail.elm] encrypted mail

arosen@eagle.ulowell.edu (MFHorn) (04/06/88)

In article <4394@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>>In article <2032@mind.UUCP> dean@mind.UUCP (Dean Radin) writes:
>>>Does anyone know a way to encrypt a file (using standard UNIX
>>>tools like crypt or other methods) that will be emailed from usenet
>>>to arpanet?
>
>You can also use the Elm mailer which has encryption as a built in option.

So how do you do this?  I looked in the man page and the help files for elm
and couldn't find anything on encrypting mail.  I suppose you could do it by
setting the E)ditor to 'vi -x' and D)isplay using to 'crypt | less', but that's
side-stepping the issue.

Andy Rosen           | arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it
Lowell, Ma 01854     |                         |  talk" -Thunder Road
                   RD in '88 - The way it should be

darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (04/06/88)

/* Written 11:37 am  Apr  5, 1988 by arosen@eagle.ulowell.edu in urbsdc:comp.mail.elm */
/* ---------- "Re: encrypted mail" ---------- */
In article <4394@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
So how do you do this?  I looked in the man page and the help files for elm
and couldn't find anything on encrypting mail.  I suppose you could do it by
setting the E)ditor to 'vi -x' and D)isplay using to 'crypt | less', but that's
side-stepping the issue.
/* End of text from urbsdc:comp.mail.elm */

The answer is in the "Elm Reference Guide".  There are two keywords used
for this feature: "[encode]" and "[clear]".  You simply bracket the text
to be encrypted with these keywords.  For example, the following message
would have some encrypted text:

	Hi,

	This text isn't encrypted.

	[encode]
	This text is encrypted.
	[clear]

	This text isn't encrypted.

Elm will prompt for the encryption key when you confirm that you want to
mail the message.  The person receiving the message will be prompted for
the key when they attempt to read it so you must have already agreed
upon the key.

Good luck.

--
Darrell McIntosh
Gould Electronics, Computer Systems Divison, Software Development Center

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt) (04/07/88)

For encrypted (sort of) mail, consult manual page on:
xsend, xget, enroll (1) - secret mail

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5

indra@grumpy.amd.com (Indra Singhal) (04/07/88)

In article <5991@swan.ulowell.edu> arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu (MFHorn) writes:
>So how do you do this?  I looked in the man page and the help files for elm
>and couldn't find anything on encrypting mail.  I suppose you could do it by
>setting the E)ditor to 'vi -x' and D)isplay using to 'crypt | less', but that's
>side-stepping the issue.
>Andy Rosen           | arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I

YOu will find this in the ELM Reference Guide, page 7 (rel 1.5b). In the
body of the script: enter '[encode]' as the first 8 characters of a line and
then continue entering your text in the following lines. (the ' is not to
be typed). Having finished your secret part of the message, enter '[clear]'
and continue with the message.

After you verify the send option, you should be asked for an encryption key
and confirmation. When reading mail containing encrypted material, elm prompts
you for the encryption key. I tried it and it worked well.

Indra K. Singhal                      |Obviously, the truth is         |
{ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!indra  |                      what's so.|
amdcad!indra@decwrl.dec.com           |Not so obviously, it's also     |
   @#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#@#   |                        so what.|

wjc@ho5cad.ATT.COM (04/07/88)

In article <21043@amdcad.AMD.COM> indra@grumpy.amd.com (Indra Singhal) writes:
> [description of how to do encryption via "elm"]

I have used this before,  also.  Just one  word of caution.  The "elm"
encrytpion algorithm is  not the same  as some standard  Unix tool, so
you need to  decrypt via  "elm" also.  Just don't suddenly  delete the
"elm" executables and leave yourself with a big pot of encrypted mail.

Other than that, it works like a champ.

	Bill Carpenter
	(AT&T gateways)!ho5cad!wjc

lyndon@ncc.UUCP (Lyndon Nerenberg) (04/08/88)

>For encrypted (sort of) mail, consult manual page on:
>xsend, xget, enroll (1) - secret mail

These commands don't work if you want to send mail to someone on
another machine.
--
lyndon  {alberta,uunet}!ncc!lyndon  lyndon%ncc@uunet.uu.net

zentrale@rmi.UUCP (RMI Net) (04/13/88)

:
: So how do you do this?  I looked in the man page ....

: Andy Rosen           | arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
: ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it
: Lowell, Ma 01854     |                         |  talk" -Thunder Road
:                    RD in '88 - The way it should be

Manual:
   The first, and probably most exiting feature is the ability to
send encrypted mail [...  original voice: Dave Taylor]

You need merely to have two key lines "[encode]" and "[clear]"
in the message body.

Sample:

text text blah blah

[encode

secret text secret text secret text secret text

[clear]

further text

END SAMPLE

It will then be sent encrypted. The Mail recipient will be prompted
for the key you supplied when giving the 's' command to ELM.

Regards,
Rupert