[comp.mail.elm] Elm Questions

dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) (04/16/88)

Setting: the WELL is a public access teleconferencing system with
a wide range of users, from experts/wizards to complete telecom
novices.  We're running 4.3 BSD on a VAX 750.

I just installed elm 1.7 here.  Several users, including myself,
love it.  I have a few questions though.  By the way, I can't make
elm the default because of the wide range of termcap entries needed,
plus not everyone uses software that can do emulation.  Sigh.

First, it doesn't use 'flock' for locking the mailbox.  Has this
caused any problems on other systems?  Do you lose mail?  Has anyone
changed it to use 'flock'??  I tested it with several pieces of mail
coming from different programs and it seemed to handle everything
correctly, but I'd like to know if anyone had had a problem.

Second, when I use elm to answer questions from new users some of them
have various reactions to the X-mailer line.  Anything that looks
different throws some people.  And I get tired of explaining that I
use a different mailer.  So, is there a way I can keep that line from
appearing in outgoing mail?

Third, is there a way to delete a range of messages from a mailbox
file?  I've re-read the docs a few times and didn't find it.  Do I
have to go through and type  d   for each message?  This is only a
problem when I want to clean out old folders and see a bunch of
items together that I want to get rid of.

Thanks.  I might have more questions when I tackle aliases.  8-)

later, david
--
David Hawkins       {pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!dhawk
Faith is never identical with piety.   -- Karl Barth

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (04/17/88)

In article <5718@well.UUCP> dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) writes:
+I just installed elm 1.7 here.  Several users, including myself,
+love it.  I have a few questions though.
+
+  So, is there a way I can keep that [X-mailer header] line from
+appearing in outgoing mail?

No.

+Third, is there a way to delete a range of messages from a mailbox
+file?

No.
--
Rob Bernardo		[backbone]!pacbell!rob	 -OR-   rob@PacBell.COM
business:  (415) 823-2417	Pacific Bell SRVAC Room 4E750, San Ramon, CA

darrell@urbsdc.Urbana.Gould.COM (04/18/88)

/* Written  8:58 am  Apr 17, 1988 by rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM in urbsdc:comp.mail.elm */
In article <5718@well.UUCP> dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) writes:
+  So, is there a way I can keep that [X-mailer header] line from
+appearing in outgoing mail?

No.
/* End of text from urbsdc:comp.mail.elm */

The only way to get rid of the X-Mailer header is to remove the code
that produces it.  There is a line in src/mailmsg2.c where the X-Mailer
line is inserted; simply comment or #ifdef it out.

--
Darrell McIntosh
Gould CSD, Urbana Software Development Center

scottb@hpcvlx.HP.COM (Scott Boyd) (04/18/88)

In article <5718@well.UUCP> dhawk@well.UUCP (David Hawkins) writes:
> I just installed elm 1.7 here.  Several users, including myself,
> love it.  I have a few questions though.
>
>   So, is there a way I can keep that [X-mailer header] line from
> appearing in outgoing mail?

Yes, #ifdef out the following line in mailmsg2.c.

    fprintf(filedesc, "X-Mailer: Elm [version %s]\n\n", VERSION);

Scott Boyd                                          scottb@hp-pcd
Hewlett-Packard
Corvallis Workstation Operation