[comp.mail.elm] Call for volunteers

chad@anasaz.UUCP (Chad R. Larson) (05/27/88)

OK, instead of everyone dancing around the issue, does anyone wanna
volunteer to be a coordinator?  I'm not thinking of someone to
moderate this newsgroup, but someone to act as a clearing house for
bug fixes and enhancements to Elm.  I would envision starting at a
known place such as Elm 2.0, and coordinating/collecting/collating
fixes posted here.  I would suggest this person also would be
contacted by anyone starting on an enhancement to make sure they
started with current sources and weren't duplicating someone else's
efforts.  The coordinator probably would provide the "resting place"
for the SCCS files of Elm and checking them out and in for "official"
upgrades.  Sound like a good idea?  Has the net ever tried a global
software project before?  I think this group might be a good place to
try.
	-crl
---------------
"I read the news today, oh boy!"  --John Lennon
| DCF, Inc.               | UUCP: ...noao!mcdsun!nud!anasaz!dcfinc!chad |
| 14623 North 49th Place  | Ma Bell: (602) 953-1392                     |
| Scottsdale, AZ 85254    | Loran: N-33deg37min20sec W-111deg58min26sec |
|         Disclaimer: These ARE the opinions of my employer!            |

boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu (SoftXc Coordinator) (05/28/88)

In article <1049@anasaz.UUCP> chad@anasaz.UUCP (Chad R. Larson) writes:
>OK, instead of everyone dancing around the issue, does anyone wanna
>volunteer to be a coordinator?  I'm not thinking of someone to
>moderate this newsgroup, but someone to act as a clearing house for
>bug fixes and enhancements to Elm.  I would envision starting at a
>known place such as Elm 2.0, and coordinating/collecting/collating

[...]

I sent mail to Dave Taylor 2 days ago, asking about posting the sources to
Elm 2.0 gamma in comp.sources.unix. So far I have received no reply. On his
permission I plan to submit it to Rich Salz for posting, and once done, we
should be able to base bug fixes and enhancements on it. Once that is done,
we can see where it goes from there.

Brian O'Neill, MS-DOS Software Exchange Coordinator
ArpaNet: boneill@hawk.ulowell.edu
UUCP   : {(backbones),harvard,rutgers,et. al.}!ulowell!hawk!boneill

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (05/30/88)

In article <1049@anasaz.UUCP>, chad@anasaz.UUCP (Chad R. Larson) writes:
> OK, instead of everyone dancing around the issue, does anyone wanna
> volunteer to be a coordinator?  I'm not thinking of someone to

> fixes posted here.  I would suggest this person also would be
> contacted by anyone starting on an enhancement to make sure they
> started with current sources and weren't duplicating someone else's
> efforts.  The coordinator probably would provide the "resting place"
> for the SCCS files of Elm and checking them out and in for "official"
> upgrades.  Sound like a good idea?  Has the net ever tried a global
> software project before?  I think this group might be a good place to
> try.
> 	-crl

My system and I would be happy to provide this service. I have SCCS here,
but have never had to use it (I do all the programming here myself and
maintain various revs manually). The system is available for team access
and compile/edit sessions. UUCP access and x/y/zmodem, kermit etc. file
transfers are supported as well. Any/all interested parties may contact me
via email(most successful), voicemail or snailmail:

email: donegan@stanton.TCC.COM
vmail: 714-474-2033 x7998
post:  Steven P. Donegan
       2569 McCabe Way
       Irvine, Ca. 92714
uucp:  714-894-2246 (rotary lines)
       2400/1200/300
       nuucp, no word, standard ogin:-@-ogin:-@-ogin: sequence

--
Steven P. Donegan
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (05/31/88)

In article <1049@anasaz.UUCP> chad@anasaz.UUCP (Chad R. Larson) writes:
>OK, instead of everyone dancing around the issue, does anyone wanna
>volunteer to be a coordinator?
As a user of elm, be it only 1.7b for now, and a modifier of it
for many of our local quirks, I hereby volunteer?

However: I can only test out Elm on SVR2, thus any portability
issues would have to be handled by a set of beta testers.

I can also provide annon uucp for elm if needed.  (at 1200, 2400 and
tb+ speeds)
Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235

alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) (06/10/88)

In article <402@dsinc.UUCP>, syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) writes:

> However: I can only test out Elm on SVR2, thus any portability
> issues would have to be handled by a set of beta testers.

I volunteer to help with testing. We have SVR3, Xenix286, SCO Xenix286
machines here. I am another user of 1.7, 2.0 probably hasn't seen snow.
(of which there's none now anyway fyi)

--
Alex Laney   alex@xicom.UUCP   ...utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!xicom!alex
Xicom Technologies, 205-1545 Carling Av., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada