[comp.mail.elm] Handling Elm bug releases

hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (06/02/88)

Sydney Weinstein (syd!dsinc) has volunteered to coordinate
future releases of Elm bug fixes. (He sent email saying he
was willing to start with the pure 2.0 gamma.)

Are there any other volunteers? If so, please speak up, and
we as a newsgroup can take a vote as to who. This is not
intended to be a moderator position, but a coordinator
to accept bug reports, see to it that the fixes run on
various machines thru volunteer testers, and to issue
new releases as deemed necessary.

Today is the 1st, how about letting this message propagate
for a while, and take a vote in about 3 weeks. I'll volunteer
to take votes later and post the results.

Comments, suggestions?
--
Greg Hackney
Southwestern Bell Telephone Co.

edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) (06/06/88)

Back when Dave first had to give up coordinating Elm bug fixes, I volunteered to
coordinate future releases. At the same time, someone else also volunteered to
coordinate. Since I was really too busy at the time to do a good job of it, I
let this other person do it (notice that I'm not mentioning names).

Well, obviously it didn't work out, for whatever reason. Hence, here I am again
volunteering to coordinate Elm.

I would prefer to start with the 2.0 gamma (is that o.k. Dave?), but if there's
enough demand, I'll go back and do a posting of 1.7.

I can provide annonymous uucp as well, although I don't want to be flooded with
requests for 2.0 gamma sources yet. There seems to be some debate over the
legitimacy (is that a real word?) of the 2.0 gamma sources. Until Dave either
turns over the "real" sources to the duly elected coordinator, or gives his
blessing to the current 2.0 gamma sources, I don't feel that they should be
widely distributed.

I will maintain source trees under SCCS and RCS which can be pulled from via
uucp. This will help ensure that several of us don't undo each others fixes
and enhancements. I have used this system for several "real" projects where
we have engineers spread all over the world. It worked real nice, as long as
it's properly maintained. (Note: I have never done the dual SCCS/RCS source
tree before. Do we need it? Or is RCS only sufficent? I don't mind the
extra work, but I don't want to waste time creating and maintaining 2 source
trees if everybody is using RCS.)

I personally can test under Xenix 3, Xenix V, Unix V/386 (i.e. 5.3.1), SVR2,
and SVR3.1. I also have access to a VAX running 4.2, but I don't want to
commit to testing there until I talk to it's master about it.

I can be reached at (408)433-3614 virtually any time of the day or night (yes,
I AM a workaholic). If I'm not there, my PhoneMail is. :-) And of course, by
Email.
--
+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Eric D. Christensen     | Email: edc@altnet.altos.com  (uunet!altnet!edc)   |
| Altos Computer Systems  +---------------------------------------------------+
| 399 West Trimble Road   | Definitions:    Bug - An Undocumented Feature     |
| San Jose, Ca. 95131     |                 Feature - A Documented Bug        |
+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| These views aren't Altos' - They're mine, all mine, and you can't have them |

edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) (06/08/88)

In article <343@vector.UUCP> chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>No disrespect to Dave's wishes, but if 2.0 is better than 1.7, let's start
>there.  (Unless 2.0 gamma was a leak which wasn't supposed to happen.)

Well, I've exchanged a couple of email messages with Dave about what the 2.0
gamma is, and where it came from. His answer is this:

	Dave Taylor:
	"In reference to your question about
	the 2.0 gamma sources, well, let's put it this way; just
	before I left HP Labs [more on that in a sec] I made
	available for HP internal use a version labelled 2.0
	beta and another 2.0 gamma.  If somehow a similarly
	labelled version of the source has made it out of HP
	without my knowledge and explicit action, then I am
	of clear conscience in saying "do what you want with this
	renegade ;-) version", right?

	Besides, at this relatively late date in the game the
	myserious new source has been distributed sufficiently
	widely that I couldn't rightly stop it anyway, so ..."

So be it. However, there are several problems which are fixed in this 2.0
"renegade" version. It is Dave's recommendation that we take start with
the 2.0 gamma which leaked and work from there. In my opinion, it would be
a waste of time to work the 1.7 sources at this point.

>After all this and a clean 2.0 is posted, it might be a good idea to add
>a note to the posting that all bug reports should be sent to the coordinator
>rather than being posted.  My guess is that there enough folks to pitch
>in and minimize the job for the coordinator.

Agreed! I volenteered to establish an RCS and/or SCCS tree to work from. I'll
coordinate it, and check sources in and out of the tree. That way we have a
controlled set of sources with full documantation about what has changed. In
addition, I'll also grant uucp access to the tree for a (hopefully fairly
small) group of people who are doing work on elm. That way we can minimize
the "your patch undid my patch" gripes that always seem to happen.

>Greg Hackney (hack@bellboy.UUCP) posted a message soliciting names for
>coordinator and other volunteers.  Can we agree that we should take him
>up on this offer, and let him put together a list of names?  Heck, I'd
>even be willing to let him collect votes if he's interested.

Absolutely! If we are to get elm back under control, we need 1 coordinator,
and 1 sub-coordinator who can take over in the event that the coordinator
gets run over by a truck. The sub-coordinator should have full access to
the master source tree so he/she can collect said sources in the event of
some disaster.

In addition, we need a set of "official" beta sites. By official, I mean people
who are actually going to test and maybe fix beta releases before they are
posted to comp.sources.unix. I don't mean elm "end users" who just want the
latest and greatest sources, but aren't/won't/can't contribute anything to
the effort.

If beta releases aren't controlled, we'll just get more and more confused.
That would probably mean the end of Elm, which is last thing any of us want
to see happen.

Comments? Suggestion? Gripes? Flames? I'll take 'em all!!!!

--
+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| Eric D. Christensen     | Email: edc@altnet.altos.com  (uunet!altnet!edc)   |
| Altos Computer Systems  +---------------------------------------------------+
| 399 West Trimble Road   | Definitions:    Bug - An Undocumented Feature     |
| San Jose, Ca. 95131     |                 Feature - A Documented Bug        |
+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
| These views aren't Altos' - They're mine, all mine, and you can't have them |

donegan@stanton.TCC.COM (Steven P. Donegan) (06/12/88)

Since there appears to be a well qualified No. Cal. Tester/Coordinator for
Elm, perhaps I should simply offer to be a So. Cal. distribution point. I
would be happy to keep up to date sources available via annonymous uucp.

Any comments?
--
Steven P. Donegan
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst

In article <1090@bellboy.UUCP>, hack@bellboy.UUCP (Greg Hackney) writes:
> In article <343@vector.UUCP> chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>
> >Greg Hackney (hack@bellboy.UUCP) posted a message soliciting names for
> >coordinator and other volunteers.  Can we agree that we should take him
> >up on this offer, and let him put together a list of names?  Heck, I'd
> >even be willing to let him collect votes if he's interested.
>
> I'm doin' it. Just waiting until next week to post a ballot. I
> think I will go ahead and call for votes starting the 12th
> since a lot of people will be going to USENIX the next week.
> There are 4 volunteers to date. I'll post some general background
> info on them.
>
> >2.0, test it out, clean it up, de-lint it, roff it, shar it
>
> Sounds like smokin' dope.
>
> --
> Greg

Well, I think perhaps smoking source code tightly rolled in old 96 column
cards might get some of the general hacker types off, but on to more serious
issues:

Let's have a vote, Greg - please tally same.

I've volunteered to provide annonymous uucp access, coordination or assistance
in debugging/verifying 286 XENIX (SCO 2.2.1) Elm.

I currently have Elm 1.7 running under XENIX and would be more than happy to
share it for those who don't want to wait for 2.0

I am working on the 2.0 release (?) that I uucp'd from killer a while back.
as soon as I can get past the @#!$% segmentation/stack/heap problems under
XENIX compiler I will be more than happy to make it available too.

Let's get together on this issue, hack the hell out of the code (1.7/2.0), and
make the code available to anyone who wants it. I think that this could result
in an evolution for Elm and perhaps serve as an example to the net of a
cooperative project that works.

Thanks Greg for your attempts to get people together on this - I think it's
working!
--

darrylo@hpsrli.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) (06/20/88)

In comp.mail.elm, edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) writes:

> In article <98@cjsa.UUCP> jeff@cjsa.UUCP (C. Jeffery Small) writes:
> >
> >Now that we are starting to get the ELM group whipped into shape, I have
> >one problem I want to raise.  We are running version 1.5 here and I have
> >found that if you send a mail message and then Quit ELM quickly thereafter,
> >the message gets killed before it gets spooled up for uucp transmission.
>
> Ah! Surprise, surprise, surprise! You're /bin/mail (or sendmail, or whatever
> you're using for a delivery agent) catches a signal and terminates when it's
> parent dies. (Incidently, this is really a very stupid thing for a mail delivery
> agent to do :-( ) I've seen this with various versions of Xenix 3.? and V7. I
> also have seen it in at least one port of System V.

     This may be an Elm bug.  I seem to remember a patch to Elm 1.7 that fixed
a similar problem that occured if you exited Elm and then quickly logged out.
Basically, a SIGHUP signal was being sent to the process spawned by Elm, and
that signal was not being caught.  The fix was to change Elm to ignore the
signal (I think).

     [ ... ]
> +-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
> | Eric D. Christensen     | Email: edc@altnet.altos.com  (uunet!altnet!edc)   |
> | Altos Computer Systems  +---------------------------------------------------+
> | 399 West Trimble Road   | Definitions:    Bug - An Undocumented Feature     |
> | San Jose, Ca. 95131     |                 Feature - A Documented Bug        |
> +-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+
> | These views aren't Altos' - They're mine, all mine, and you can't have them |
> +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

     -- Darryl Okahata
	{hplabs!hpccc!, hpfcla!} hpsrla!darrylo
	CompuServe: 75206,3074

Disclaimer: the above is the author's personal opinion and is not the
opinion or policy of his employer or of the little green men that
have been following him all day.

edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) (06/22/88)

In article <180003@hpsrli.HP.COM> darrylo@hpsrli.HP.COM (Darryl Okahata) writes:
>In comp.mail.elm, edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) writes:
>
>> Ah! Surprise, surprise, surprise! You're /bin/mail (or sendmail, or whatever
>> you're using for a delivery agent) catches a signal and terminates when it's
>> parent dies. (Incidently, this is really a very stupid thing for a mail delivery
>> agent to do :-( ) I've seen this with various versions of Xenix 3.? and V7. I
>> also have seen it in at least one port of System V.
>
>     This may be an Elm bug.  I seem to remember a patch to Elm 1.7 that fixed
>a similar problem that occured if you exited Elm and then quickly logged out.
>Basically, a SIGHUP signal was being sent to the process spawned by Elm, and
>that signal was not being caught.  The fix was to change Elm to ignore the
>signal (I think).

You're right, it was an Elm bug. I got to thinking about it afterwards, and
pulled my 1.5 sources off of tape to have a look. Sure enough, 1.5 assumed
that the delivery agent was smart enough to finish what it's doing before it
exits. This is fine if you have sendmail, but some USG versions of /bin/mail
are brain damaged.

I'm happy to report that 2.0 takes into account the possibility of a stupid
delivery agent.

I looked for the patch you mention, but I couldn't find it. That's not to say
that there isn't one, just that I don't have it archived anywhere sensible. If
someone had that patch lurking around somewhere, could they please repost it?

--
+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------+

rob@pbhyf.PacBell.COM (Rob Bernardo) (06/23/88)

+
+You're right, it was an Elm bug. I got to thinking about it afterwards, and
+pulled my 1.5 sources off of tape to have a look. Sure enough, 1.5 assumed
+that the delivery agent was smart enough to finish what it's doing before it
+exits. This is fine if you have sendmail, but some USG versions of /bin/mail
+are brain damaged.
+
+I'm happy to report that 2.0 takes into account the possibility of a stupid
+delivery agent.

I wonder if this patch to Elm 1.7 (which I have been using) is causing
another problem. At times when I have been in vi under elm and
my connection hung up, I'd log back in and see vi (and I think elm)
still running. Had a hell of a time trying to kill vi in such a way that
my letter under progress could be retrieved with vi -r.

Ignoring SIGHUP has its dangers. I don't have the elm source in front of
me, but wouldn't it be better for SIGHUP to be ignored only in the
/bin/mail fork, so that the parent fork will react appropriately to
hang ups?
--
Rob Bernardo	[backbone]!pacbell!rob	 -OR-	rob@PacBell.COM
business:  (415) 823-2417	Pacific Bell SRVAC Room 4E750	San Ramon, CA