[comp.mail.elm] Allow me to introduce myself...

edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) (06/24/88)

Well, hello there fellow Elmers! It looks like I've been given the somewhat
dubious honor of picking up the pieces of the Elm project after Dave's
untimely departure. :-)

I've babbled on in plenty of previous postings about how I think things should
be run, and what should be done, and mindless dribble like that. So I'll spare
you all a repeat. I do want to quickly outline my game plan to get a reasonably
stable version of 2.0 posted to comp.sources.unix as soon as possible.

1) I'll be contacting each of the testers within the next week.

2) I'm already starting the somewhat laborious task of putting Elm 2.0 under
   RCS control. The 2.0 gamma sources will be checked in exactly as they leaked
   out of HP. This will be designated as 2.0.0. I'll immediately start cleaning
   up some portability issues and check these in as 2.0.1. I know the extra
   branch is a pain, but I don't see any reasonable way of controlling a
   distributed project as large as Elm without it.

3) I am immediately collecting bug reports (and hopefully some fixes) and wish
   lists. I'd like to clean up bugs over the next 2 - 3 weeks and then get an
   official 2.0 out. The wish list items are going to have to wait for the
   next release. I think it's important to get a clean 2.0 out ASAP.

4) As soon as the 2.0 release is out, let's start talking about what should
   comprise a 2.1 release. This basically means that I don't want to do
   anything to 2.0 except clean it up and get it out.

5) I will set up an anonymous uucp for the developers and testers next week. I
   reccommend that the "D&T" group pick up a copy of the RCS'd sources as a
   common starting ground. I'll mail the connectivity info to you folks as
   soon as it's up.

In the mean time, while I get organized at this end, let's start throwing bugs
and ideas out. This group has been getting sort of quiet as of late. It's time
to liven things up.

First idea to start the flames:

What does everybody think of posting the generic 2.0 gamma sources to this
news group? (flame me, please!!!) They're certainly not clean enough to go
to comp.sources.unix yet. Rich would laugh me off the net if I even tried, but
that way we can at least get a psudo-official, semi-controlled version of 2.0
out. Is this a terrible idea or does it have some merits?

Last but not least, please feel free to call me or email me. I can usually be
reached by phone at (408)433-3614.

syd@dsinc.UUCP (Syd Weinstein) (06/25/88)

As a loser in this vote, let me congradulate the winner, and say,
I think the net made a good choice.  Now on to the flames: (One only
and its not even a flame)

1.  I don't think we should post the gamma sources.  I think instead
we should make them available for anon uucp, and I volunteer my site
as one place to get them from.   My reason, the net is already crowded,
this gamma release will quickly be superceeded.

Good luck, Eric, and I am glad to see elm getting off the ground again.
Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235

davek@heurikon.UUCP (Dave Klann) (06/27/88)

In article <509@altnet.ALTOS.COM> edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) writes:

>Well, hello there fellow Elmers! It looks like I've been given the somewhat
>  [ ... ]
>First idea to start the flames:
>
>What does everybody think of posting the generic 2.0 gamma sources to this
>news group? (flame me, please!!!) They're certainly not clean enough to go
>to comp.sources.unix yet. Rich would laugh me off the net if I even tried, but
>that way we can at least get a psudo-official, semi-controlled version of 2.0
>out. Is this a terrible idea or does it have some merits?

Congratulations Eric!

No flame from me here...  I think posting the gamma sources to this group
is a good idea.  I *do* think you should wait until the "Official Testers"
have had a chance to break it, though.

I'm glad to see Elm get moving again!

David Klann
uwvax!heurikon!davek

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (06/27/88)

In article <509@altnet.ALTOS.COM> edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) writes:
>What does everybody think of posting the generic 2.0 gamma sources to this
>news group? (flame me, please!!!) They're certainly not clean enough to go
>to comp.sources.unix yet. Rich would laugh me off the net if I even tried, but
>that way we can at least get a psudo-official, semi-controlled version of 2.0
>out. Is this a terrible idea or does it have some merits?

Given that you've already rounded up a team of testers and fixers,
PLEASE do not post the existing code.  People will just get confused,
and maybe think the existing, buggy code is your product and attempt
to apply patches that come out later to the gamma code.

Let's wait for the real thing.
--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,pyramid,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
jbuck@epimass.epi.com	Old Arpa mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

becker@ziebmef.uucp (Bruce Becker) (06/28/88)

In article <509@altnet.ALTOS.COM> edc@ALTOS.COM (Eric Christensen) writes:

>What does everybody think of posting the generic 2.0 gamma sources to this
>news group? (flame me, please!!!)

	I think this is a good idea, if it is not too many bytes of Net traffic.

Bruce Becker
UUCP: ...!unicus!becker!bdb, ...!lsuc!humvax!becker, ...!ncrcan!ziebmef!becker
BitNet: BECKER@HUMBER.BITNET