[comp.mail.elm] Elm gripes II

jgd@csd1.milw.wisc.edu (John G Dobnick) (06/27/88)

In my previous article, I mentioned "BOTH" actions.  Of course, I really meant
"all three" actions.

So, I can't count!
--
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division @ University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
UUCP: <backbone>!uwvax!uwmcsd1!jgd
INTERNET: jgd@csd4.milw.wisc.edu

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

rsk@s.cc.purdue.edu (Rich Kulawiec) (06/27/88)

I largely concur with the sentiments expressed in the previous article,
but I'd like to go a step further.

At low baud rates, Elm can be annoying to use because of its insistence
on redrawing the entire screen every time (1) you start to read a message
and (2) you finish reading a message.  Solution?  Split the screen; use
a line of the form "split = 10", let's say, in the .elmrc file to indicate
at what the line the break should occur; and above that line, show headers.
Below it, show messages.  For example, with "split = 10", assuming a 24 line
terminal, the first 10 lines would be headers, the 11th would be a delimiter,
the 12th through the 23rd would be a message buffer, and the 24th would be
for the "(More)" prompt.

---Rsk

wtm@bunker.UUCP (Bill McGarry) (06/29/88)

In article <3273@s.cc.purdue.edu>, Rich Kulawiec writes:

>At low baud rates, Elm can be annoying to use because of its insistence
>on redrawing the entire screen every time (1) you start to read a message
>and (2) you finish reading a message.  Solution?  Split the screen; [etc]

As someone who uses Elm quite a bit at both 1200 baud and at 9600 baud,
let me add my vote for something similar to what Rich describes.
Better yet would be to make the .elmrc options speed dependent
(like the "rn" newsreader options).  If tty speed is below "X",
then set the option to this, else set it to that.

				Bill McGarry
				Bunker Ramo, Shelton, CT
				(203) 337-1518

     PATH:  {oliveb, philabs, decvax, fortune, yale}!bunker!wtm